Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:24:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Hobie Compass Demo  (Read 3107 times)

Ariel Sea

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
What's up y'all. I will be bring up a brand new Hobie Compass courtesy of CCK California Canoe & Kayak for you guys to demo at Simply.

If you would like to demo it just look for me at Simply, fill out a waiver and i will get you all set up.

I will be giving this a personal demo as well as a fishing and diving platform. Will post a review as I use it more.

Thanks to Tammy, Keith, and CCK crew.

Ariel
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 12:38:52 PM by Ariel Sea »
2019 Hobie Outback Camo
2019 Hobie Adventure Island
2019 Stealth Kayaks 555
2019 Stealth Powerfisha 16
2020 Solo Skiff

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Nice I wanna check it out.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

MooMoo Outdoors

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile MooMoo Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
https://youtube.com/channel/UC6mxd4WmuKFxDEozl7vuMzA

2018 AOTY Biggest Lake Trout Winner
2017 Simply Fishing Winner

California Canoe & Kayak Fishing Team Member
Bending Branches Team Member
Branson Baits Prostaff

2020 Stealth Fusion 480
2015 Hobie Adventure Island
West Marine Pompano 120
2019 Hobie Revo 13 (sold)
2019 Old Town Topwater 120 PDL (sold)
2013 Hobie Revo 11 (sold)
Lifetime Sportfisher (gave away)

Ariel Sea

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I picked up the Compass yesterday and as of right now I am digging it. To me it like a combination of Revo with a pointed bow, wide and stable like an Outback, wide stern like a Pro Angler.

What I like the most about its features are it's lack of features. Nice open space and smooth deck not a lot of things to get caught up on. I am most curious about demoing the Compass as a dive kayak. Easy to carry or wheel being that it is only 68lbs dry. Getting in and out of the water from the Compass should be a breeze. I always worry about ripping my suit when I get in and out of my AI which has lots of gear, mounts, and tracks everywhere. Nice to have the comfort of the Mirage pedal drive on a very simple platform.

Can't wait to get it on the water for a dive session to truly test it out.

Ariel
2019 Hobie Outback Camo
2019 Stealth Kayaks 555
2020 Solo Skiff

agoodhi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
I picked up the Compass yesterday and as of right now I am digging it. To me it like a combination of Revo with a pointed bow, wide and stable like an Outback, wide stern like a Pro Angler.

What I like the most about its features are it's lack of features. Nice open space and smooth deck not a lot of things to get caught up on. I am most curious about demoing the Compass as a dive kayak. Easy to carry or wheel being that it is only 68lbs dry. Getting in and out of the water from the Compass should be a breeze. I always worry about ripping my suit when I get in and out of my AI which has lots of gear, mounts, and tracks everywhere. Nice to have the comfort of the Mirage pedal drive on a very simple platform.

Can't wait to get it on the water for a dive session to truly test it out.

Ariel

I was liking it too, but when I took a close look at the seat (from pics), it seems it sits higher compared to the lowest position of the Vantage seat. Your thoughts?

--Ry

The Kraken

• Team Bridgeport
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Thanks for the review so far! This is the one I've been waiting for, wish I was going to SF this weekend. To me though, it doesn't look there's much seat adjustment? I'm hoping someone in the 6'4" range gives it a try to see if there's enough leg room. I hope so, because I enjoy this boat's simple design. I'm also wondering, do all the new Hobies come with the reverse ability or is that a separate drive system? I was checking out the video on their web site and the one reviewed didn't look like it had it. May have just been an older video though?

Thanks again for you early reviews, I'm looking forward to your dive results.

Scott

Ring King

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
I'll be trying out the Compass as soon as my dealer gets the next shipment in.  I'm 6'4" and 245lbs so I should be able to let you know if it's "Big Boy" capable.  The seat doesn't have any height adjustment but still has the adjustable lumbar support and back angle.  There is no reverse on the Compass.  It comes with the Mirage Drive V2 which is the model that was available before the MD180 was released.  These things were done to save on costs which is how it's coming in at a price of less than $2k.  My only dislike is that the rudder control is only on one side!  It's going to be tough getting used to that after having it on my last three Pro Anglers!

The Kraken

• Team Bridgeport
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Sounds good, I'm hoping there's enough leg room. Since I know noting about the Hobie peddle drives I have to ask, is the "footprint" the same for the V2 and the MD180? So could I upgrade the drive to MD180 and would it fit or are their sizes different and that wouldn't be an option?

Ariel Sea

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Thanks for the review so far! This is the one I've been waiting for, wish I was going to SF this weekend. To me though, it doesn't look there's much seat adjustment? I'm hoping someone in the 6'4" range gives it a try to see if there's enough leg room. I hope so, because I enjoy this boat's simple design. I'm also wondering, do all the new Hobies come with the reverse ability or is that a separate drive system? I was checking out the video on their web site and the one reviewed didn't look like it had it. May have just been an older video though?

Scott

Kraken, Ryan, and Ring King:
I'm 6'4" as well and my legs stretched out very well. It's doesn't look like it in the Hobie photos but us tall guys will not have a problem. The seat is very comfortable. You can drop the seat to it lower position. The only adjustment on the seat are the side straps that will adjust the back rest.

I took it out Sunday and Monday tested climbing in and out of the Compass with my wet suit. Very smooth getting in with out anything snagging onto my wetsuit. One thing I love the most about the Compas is the dry hull weight of 68lbs it is very light and easy to press over my head. The rotomolded handles/finger slots are pretty crappy and useless.

If this was my Compass the only modifications I would make is to upgrade the drive to ST Turbo fins. I tried it with the regular drive it comes with and felt that it was really slow. Brought my Turbo Fin drive the next day and the compass felt a lot faster. I'd also get rid of the 3D printed looking track system and replacing them with custom fabricated stainless steel or aluminum tracks. I installed a Scotty fast track adaptor and Scotty rod holder to use while trolling for Salmon and I noticed lots of flex on the plastic Track. Plus don't trust the Scotty fast track adaptor they have been known to break at the Crappy T-Bolt so just held the rod my hands. I would also add aftermarket handles to assist with lifting and loading the Compass.

I like the Compass and would like to get one for diving.

2019 Hobie Outback Camo
2019 Stealth Kayaks 555
2020 Solo Skiff

ljparton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015

Scott

I'm 6'4" as well and my legs stretched out very well. It's doesn't look like it in the Hobie photos but us tall guys will not have a problem. The seat is very comfortable. You can drop the seat to it lower position. The only adjustment on the seat are the side straps that will adjust the back rest.

I took it out Sunday and Monday tested climbing in and out of the Compass with my wet suit. Very smooth getting in with out anything snagging onto my wetsuit. One thing I love the most about the Compas is the dry hull weight of 68lbs it is very light and easy to press over my head. The rotomolded handles/finger slots are pretty crappy and useless.

If this was my Compass the only modifications I would make is to upgrade the drive to ST Turbo fins. I tried it with the regular drive it comes with and felt that it was really slow. Brought my Turbo Fin drive the next day and the compass felt a lot faster. I'd also get rid of the 3D printed looking track system and replacing them with custom fabricated stainless steel or aluminum tracks. I installed a Scotty fast track adaptor and Scotty rod holder to use while trolling for Salmon and I noticed lots of flex on the plastic Track. Plus don't trust the Scotty fast track adaptor they have been known to break at the Crappy T-Bolt so just held the rod my hands. I would also add aftermarket handles to assist with lifting and loading the Compass.

Speed wise, is it faster or about on par with the Outback when you tried it with your turbo fin equipped drive?

Cheers,
Logan

Ariel Sea

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Scott

Speed wise, is it faster or about on par with the Outback when you tried it with your turbo fin equipped drive?

Cheers,
Logan

Logan it is on par speed wise to the Outback with the Turbo fins
2019 Hobie Outback Camo
2019 Stealth Kayaks 555
2020 Solo Skiff

anything