Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:01:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Matt's Hobie Adventure Rigging  (Read 11469 times)

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
OK, well after being shamed by Tote for a lack of rigging pictures, here is the official thread, with Pics!

Most my gear is on order.  I am going with Scotty flushmounts and Scotty Rocket Launchers on this.  My goal was to have clean gunwales to ease diving and loading on my roof racks.  I will be using the ram mast mount for the fishfinder, and routing the cables thru a cable seal in the bulkhead.  The transducer will be a water bath mount for now.  I am trying to keep it all a minimal install, but am a self admitted gear junkie!

I started with the anchor trolley.  I picked up a couple of small pulleys at West Marine.  They are small, but rated for several hundred pounds.  I removed the side paddle bungee, and placed some of the Hobie screw in pad eyes.  This allowed for easy routing of the rope along the side of the kayak.  I made a small bungee to keep the assembly tight.  A stainless clip allows for me to keep the assembly from moving, and keeps it in easy reach when clipped to one of the plastic pad eyes.  The rope is just safety orange poly rope from Home Depot.

The nice thing about this location, is when deployed, I can lock the trolley in position by lifting the rope between the pad eyes up and over the stud where the paddle bungee locked in place.  This places tention on the line and prevents it from sliding.  I got the idea from the rigging instructions my Kayak Fish Nation on You Tube.

I did make some changes.  Hobie recommends placing the pulleys 12" from the bow and stern.  I did this, but due to the shape of the hull, the trolley rope went over the rear tankwell.  Not bad, but unacceptable for my perfect install  :smt001.  I moved the stern pull up a few feet by the rear hatch.  This will also hopefully prevent any chance of the anchor rope or drift sock getting tangled in the rudder assembly.  That would be difficult to fix on the water!  I plugged my original stern holes with some stainless bolts and goop.  You would never know there was an original mounting location as they look like they are part of the kayak.

Here are the Pics, just for Tote  :smt003

I also finally took EWB's advice and bit the bullet.  I ordered the Lowrance M68c fishfinder.  I got a great deal on Amazon.  $298 with free shipping.  I would still like to see your pictures though EWB!  After all you corrupted my decision with color displays.  I was also influenced by the emulator.  I downloaded the emulator software from Lowrance onto my laptop.  This allows you to test run the sounder before you purchase it.  I also downloaded the Eagle 250 combo.  I must say, color is the way to go.  I found it so much easier to see, and really liked the contrast between the land and water images for the GPS function.  It was more costly, but I believe I will be happier with this purchase.  I also believe I will eventually buy an extra transducer, for use on my power boat.  That way my waypoints will be with me all the time.

I will keep posting here as I progress with my rigging.  Thanks for the tips guys!

Matt

otobepelagic

• o2b
  • Sea Lion
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Well Done Matt. You may want to test out your anchor trolley prior to hitting the bay. I'm not sure how an Adventure will track in fast current with the rear pulley that far forward but if you tried that on an Revo you will be in for an uncomfortable ride. Nice clean work ....
NCKA Angler of the Year 2010 1st Place, 2009 2nd Place, 2008 3rd Place          

Living the dream before I can only dream of it.......

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
Thanks for the advice O2B.  I believe you are right.  I went ahead and moved the stern pulley back to its original position.  This will allow for much better positioning in fast current.  I guess it is smart to listen to the AOTY winner!  :smt003

To better route the cord I added a small cable clamp/pad eye where I had the pulley.  This really cleaned up the line, having the pulley farther back.  It rides very nice right along the side of the yak.  I also played with the bungee some and decided I didn't like it.  It allowed too much play in the line, and prevented me from getting the snap all the way to the bow.  The bungee is too large to feed through the pulleys.  I found the Poly line itself has pretty good stretch, so I tied it off directly to the snap.  It holds much tighter now, but still operated smoothly.

The update:

I may put some shrink tubing over the knots, for a little cleaner look and to prevent their catching on anything.  I love rigging, it is fun figuring out the setup.  Thanks O2B!

Matt
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 01:29:17 PM by MattS »

redwoodfox

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
looks good...maybe its just the pic but do you have both lines running through the cable clip? If so, won't that stop the anchor at that point vs going all the way to the pulley? I could see one of the line going through but not both. Again maybe its just a bad angle in the pic.
-Eric Berg

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
It is just the angle.  The main line runs below the clip, the top line runs thru it.  :smt003   The stainless clip will go stop to stop at the pulleys.

amphibian

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
I think flushmounts are definitely the way to go on the Adventure. It's a narrow fast boat and will roll easier than most SOT. RAM holders put the weight of your rod/reel combos too high especially if you have a couple of heavy rigs like the Penn 500 combos that many people use. My Adventure didn't like being pulled on uneven ground when the RAM holders were loaded and I could feel the high center of gravity on the water.
Everybody dies, not everybody lives. What did you do today?

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
Well I got some of my rigging supplies and got to work.  I installed the sailing rudder.  Everything I have read said this was a great update.  The sailing rudder is quite a bit larger, but seems to go up and down just fine.  Six screws and it was an easy exchange:

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
I purchased a couple of the Hobie foam transducer pads.  I gooped them together to make them tall enough for a water bath install.  I cleaned the area with some alcohol and used a little sandpaper to rough up the plastic.  I gooped and weighted the pads down.  It stuck well and made a clean install.

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
I got the Ram mast tube mount.  Very nice and simple mount system.  It will work great for the fish finder.  I can move the mount forward slightly, and should be able to reach the buttons, yet the fish finder will be out of the way of the peddles.  I sealed the top of the wedge with a little silicone to prevent water intrusion.  I used regular silicon to ease removal if I need to take it out.

I got a ½” wire seal from West Marine.  I drilled a ¾” hole with a spade bit.  I would have rather used a hole saw but didn’t have one that small.  The hole came out a bit undersized, allowing me to actually screw the seal into the plastic.  I used a little goop to seal it up, screwed it down and installed the back nut.  It turned out very clean.  I almost put it on top of the front deck, behind the fish finder rather than the cockpit.  I wanted a low profile for loading onto the truck though, so felt a lower mounting position was better.  I can simply loosen the cap and push the wires into the hull for transport.  It should keep everything tight and out of the way.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:28:05 PM by MattS »

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
I drilled (ouch) a big hole in the back of the kayak.  I installed a Scotty flush mount in the deck.  This is for my safety light.  I will also likely add a safety flag to the safety light.  It is an LED light, so I will simply leave it on for a day of fishing.  Never know when the fog could roll in!

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
I made a simple leash for the mirage drive.  The 2010 drive system has a small hole in the front specifically for this purpose.  A little loop makes a quick attachment to the drive, but allows easy removal.  I replaced the front threaded mount with a pad eye.  I tied the rope to a stainless clip for easy attachment to the pad eye.  Very easy system and hopefully will prevent me from loosing the drive in a turtle during launching and landing.

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
The tackle boxes are small Plano guide boxes.  I put a little dab of silicon on the bottoms to prevent them from sliding around.  I can now simply store them in the 8” middle hatch!  No more tackle box or bag on the outside of the kayak.  Should make lure access easier and keep my center of gravity low with all the lead.

bwodun

looks great matt, thanks for all the pics, cameron

Fish N' Chips

• Salmon
  • Hobie Adventure
  • View Profile
Thanks Cameron!

The Scotty rocket launcher is on backorder.  I hope to get that soon to install it.  I decided I will go with a right side mount only.  I can angle the tube left or right to troll on either side of the kayak.  I decided to keep the left side of the boat completely un-obstructed for easy entry and exit, and to sit side saddle.

I am also thinking of buying one of the Scotty Crab Davits.  That would be great for putting into the flushmount on the right side rail.  I don't like dragging the crab pot ropes up the side of the kayak.  A little leverage is always nice, especially from a seated position!

I have a rope jam cleat I will likely install soon.  I want to be able to set-up a quick release anchor for some Sturgeon and Striper fishing!

I am also thinking of installing some rear Ram tubes like OB2.  Very nice system.

My fishfinder, 12 volt 5A battery and charger should be here this next week.  I already picked up some plugs from radioshack for the install.  Stay tuned!

Matt
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:32:36 PM by MattS »