Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:46:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:44:18 PM]

[Today at 09:41:47 PM]

[Today at 09:12:36 PM]

[Today at 09:05:54 PM]

[Today at 07:11:09 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: GoPro Hero4 or something else?  (Read 1981 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
In the past, I owned a GoPro, but managed to destroy it (not easy to do, btw). So I've been using a cheap Garmin for the past couple of years. I'm now considering upgrading to a GoPro, and it seems like I can save a little money with the Hero4, but was wondering what models people here use and recommend. Or is there some other brand that really is as good? It seems there are a lot of options out there...

Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I have lost 3 cameras so going without one for now.  Not sure if they changed them but the hero didnÂ’t have a removable battery back when I had one.  If that doesnÂ’t matter then it should work for you.  But it is nice to have extra batteries that can be swapped out.  I tried the cheap knock off brands which you can get for like 50 dollars on sale on Amazon and the quality was not bad.  The only issue I had was I like the camera to beep when I turn it on and off and the knock off did not do that.   I primarily used it Underwater so the sound was the easiest way to know it was on.  That may not be an issue for you. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

Zzz

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
Hero Session is working well for me

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

This is what I use.  I would spend the savings on a really good video editing software and fast laptop/desktop ....

https://www.amazon.com/YI-Sports-Action-Video-Camera/dp/B01FU9ZIMU

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009

This is what I use.  I would spend the savings on a really good video editing software and fast laptop/desktop ....

https://www.amazon.com/YI-Sports-Action-Video-Camera/dp/B01FU9ZIMU

While I haven't used the Yi 4k model, the reviews overall have been very good.  If I bought another action cam, I'd go for it, although having 2 sets of batteries might be an issue.  I currently have the Hero 3+.  The Hero 4 you're looking at is similar to my 3+, except it has IS (image stabilization) and shoots 4k at 30/25, whereas the 3+ shoots 4k at 15, which is basically unusable. So, the 4 would be a definite upgrade worth it.

I have used the Sony in the past as well, and they are excellent video quality.  Would recommend that one as well.
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Thanks for the suggestions. Btw, this is what I've been using for a couple of years:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/119592

It's discontinued, and I got it for $100 (probably a little less now). Great for the price, but the GoPro was better.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Btw, if u r considering the Yi 4k, it is touchscreen, so diving with it u may have issues, or if you wear gloves. Dont know what you do with a casing on it and being a touch screen

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
On the Yi, there is a diving mode.  If you push the button for 2 seconds or so, it will switch between video vs camera (instead of powering off).

BTW, I am also considering the Water Wolf (always wanted to see what's going on down there, though I doubt it will increase my catch rate).

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Weimarian

• Sea Lion
  • The fish, I hear them! work can wait! let's go!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I bought a cheepo knock off. Seems to do very well. This is the next one I'm going to order. Has a REMOTE! Knockoffs are getting better...

https://www.amazon.com/SEENTRON-Waterproof-SharkEye-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B07569YMKT/ref=zg_bs_7161074011_12?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KC8KX1D079WJK59N1TTM
Come on out! It's time to play. It's time for TROUT Bass and STRIPER. Let go of the hand brake!

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I bought a cheepo knock off. Seems to do very well. This is the next one I'm going to order. Has a REMOTE! Knockoffs are getting better...

https://www.amazon.com/SEENTRON-Waterproof-SharkEye-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B07569YMKT/ref=zg_bs_7161074011_12?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KC8KX1D079WJK59N1TTM

I'm actually curious about some of the knockoffs, and would like to see some reviews.  The action cam for your link has a Sony 16mp sensor (the same one Sony used in its action cam in 2012).  so we know the sensor is high quality.  Am curious to see the quality of the lens, and construction overall.  More importantly, the processor hardware is key, as well as how it processes the video and still photos, low light functionality, color rendering, etc. 

It could all be very good, or it could be a excellent sensor with not-so-good components/processor.  Or it could meet your needs fine.  Definitely nice to see the prices come down, and give GoPro a run for its money.  So far, the Yi 4k seems to have the best reviews amongst the GoPro alternatives.  As for knockoffs, I guess you won't know until you buy it and try it.

Good luck on your purchase. 
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I'm actually curious about some of the knockoffs, and would like to see some reviews.

This!
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

Stone85

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
I buy directly through GoPro and purchase there refurbished ones and save tons of money

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
I buy directly through GoPro and purchase there refurbished ones and save tons of money

I seriously considered that back when I killed my GoPro. Good to hear that that has worked out for you. I am definitely going to think about that option. 
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia

Hojoman

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Still happy with the practically new GoPro Hero 3+ silver that a metal-detecting friend dug out of the sands of a SoCal beach. I've been very reluctant to upgrade, for fear of past battery heating issues. Was lucky to get hold of a no-longer available third-party battery that yeields 7 hours of video. I would get another 3+ (even used) if I could find another long-life battery that I would not have to carry in a pocket.

GuihanHunter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
GoPro Hero 5 on sale at AAFES for $279 for anyone with base access.
2020 Hobie Compass Camo Edition
Instagram @guihanhunter
YouTube @guihanhunter