Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:33:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Honest opinions about the sport of kayak fishing  (Read 3897 times)

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
It honestly costs more than I expected.

But that’s mainly because of me. I’m a sucker for the newest and flashiest and there is always room in the tackle box for a few more lures. Then there are the new spots to explore and new fish to chase, which of course leads to more gear!

4 kayaks, pounds upon pounds of gear, numerous rods and reels later and here I am. All I wanted to do was float down the creek near my house and catch a few small fish.

Along the way I’ve learned a lot and met a bunch of great people through kayak fishing.

If you want to learn the best and safest way to do it there is a wealth of information among the members here and can be found using a search of the site.

If you want to be humbled go fish with a few of the guys on here. The knowledge and generosity of that knowledge is amazing.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I concur

If you want to be humbled go fish with a few of the guys on here. The knowledge and generosity of that knowledge is amazing.

This ^^^^
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Do It!
It is expensive. The clean up is a PITA.

Before I started kayakfishing, I could barely paddle and didn't know how to fish.
Now, I can barely paddle and still can't catch fish.  :smt044

But it has probably been best thing I've ever done for myself. I have made lifelong friends that span well beyond sitting in a kayak. I have laughed harder around a campfire than I thought was possible.
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
It's definitely and addition and never gets old.

But honestly, kayak fishing probably saved my life...
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
I bought my first sit on top in 1974. It’s been a live affair ever since. Just do it. Ft. Ross is still as fun to fish as it was way back. AOTY will break your bank. It’s super fun though. I’ve met so many excellent people. Come to Ocean Cove this weekend and meet us. Cheers.
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
  • I'm a fly fisherman, so I like things light and tidy -- basically reduced to the minimum level
  • A kayak is the most minimal boat
  • If you try it and decide you want to kayak fish enough to buy a boat, then buy only a pedal boat (I'm partial to my Hobie Revo-16 but that's because I'm 99% salt oriented and want the speed, power, and rough water handling of the Revo-16)
  • When me and my homies head out, we catch whatever we need/want with some variation of about 3 different bait/lures, no kidding.  That is super simple, it points out that it's all about the golfer, not the golf clubs, and the kayak is no place to fiddle with masses of gear.  K.I.S.S.
  • I carry more safety gear, food, & water than fishing gear.
  • Budget wisely before actually buying.  For example, if you have apprehension about falling off the boat, then buy a drysuit and you'll have no more worries; plus it's always good to buy top notch gear that will save your life, but drysuits are pretty dear, so that will impact your budget (25% - 50% the cost of the kayak).
  • Speaking of budget, I won't go out on the ocean without a fish finder with GPS (I consider GPS to be essential gear).
  • I'm a fly fisherman, I love being IN the water and a kayak offers the most intimate possible relationship to the water of any boat -- I frequently just reach down and touch the water with my hands, it's right there, I can smell it, I can feel it, I can see the little bait fish ever-so gently disturbing its glassy surface, I'm eye-to-eye with the pelicans, I rise and fall with the swells, it is quiet enough to hear the water swirling around me and my boat.  I love being on the water so much that it doesn't kill me if I don't catch (an outcome that's a little too frequent  :smt005)
  • Everything the other folks said about the fishing and ability to access ANY water you're willing to shlep your boat to.
  • Then there's the friends.  This is as special as the being on the water and majorly catching fish.  We always go out as a group (safety is smart) and help each other in any way that is needed -- this is super satisfying to me.  We look out for each other and share the great times.
  • Consider a boat for wifey  :thumright:

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
like any other "thing" there`s hardcore kayak-angling jerks, hardcore  kayak-angling  nice guys, casual slayers and  cliques , the competitive types ,non competitive types , over the top going to get a divorce cause they fish too much and ignore their family types.there`s  the sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, wasteoids, dweebies, dickheads  they all get a kick out of it. , they think it`s a righteous challenge

what I hate  : bmb and getting a hook embedded in my hand ,but I cant decide which is worse

what  like : DirtyDave ,Eddy,Rockfish,Bushy,3$J,polepole,Raydon,Ravensblack,LoletaEric,rockroach,Chad,Cabeza,Craig ,TW ,Alex-Bulldog  ,rider,Hojo,SHULAND,Vwool,Big Jim,FishMaster , Sin Coast,NoSoupforU,Ariel,Shifra,Yakhopper,Fisherman X,RockHopper,Fishshadow,Napajustin,Louis ,Josh,ChuckE,Yoda,Crash (even though he likes turtles), Traildad,Scottymeboy,Nick,Annie,Kiel,Tommy,Jingle,Happy Hooker ,H1,Jeff,Rob ,Steve,R bark, Pablo, Darius,Don,texas boy ,Alain,Yakhopper and thats just the off the top of my head..oh and yeah even Bmb ( dont tell him)

I just read through this whole thread and the only takeaway is that there's some secret club with yak sluts............so long as they're not the gaysian tuna chasers I think I need to join this clique   :metal

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
half dozen mortal enemies.
I've read through this thread.  The count is now up to 9.

RBark

• Shark Week every week I am OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014

What is this half assed crap. Live your life, do a full dozen mortal enemies!
Thresher in avatar and Soupfin Shark in signature both caught and pic taken by me.
3rd place Kayak Connection Derby, 2014
45th place / 423 pts / 3 Species - AOTY 2014 (nowhere to go but up!)
30th place / 1132.25 pts / 7 Species - AOTY 2015 (moving up a little!)

Always looking for new people to fish with!

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile

What is this half assed crap. Live your life, do a full dozen mortal enemies!
these things take time. I'm incredibly patient.

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005

I do plan on trying it out first (rental somewhere), but before I pull the trigger for my own yak, I'm hoping some of you could share your opinions about the sport. Good and bad, what can I expect? What do you like, what do you hate? Any regrets? Thanks all :)

I don't know why, and I'm sure I'm wrong, but this all reminds me of SG. (OG's know who that is)

Lots of good advise has been shared. Welcome and have fun!

Al

• Cabeza de Martillo
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

I do plan on trying it out first (rental somewhere), but before I pull the trigger for my own yak, I'm hoping some of you could share your opinions about the sport. Good and bad, what can I expect? What do you like, what do you hate? Any regrets? Thanks all :)

I don't know why, and I'm sure I'm wrong, but this all reminds me of SG. (OG's know who that is)

Lots of good advise has been shared. Welcome and have fun!

Al

:smt044
Pronounced in Spanish  ka·be·za de mar·t·yo
Translates to Hammerhead in English for my Gringo amigos.
....and yes that's me with a 6ft. green moray in the avatar.

"Spearos before Hos" - Silent Hunter

"Give your son a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach him how to spearfish and he'll feed you for a lifetime" - Cabeza de Martillo

Proud Papa of ...........
2018 JAOTY Lucas aka Baja Ninja
2018 JDOTY Noah aka Silent Hunter

DavidMel

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
IMHO from a newbie who never fished from a boat.

First off, kayakers are great people and are very supportive of other kayakers.  (We will help each other roof top our yaks, help each other on the water, etc.)  This community is awesome and welcomes newbies.  I have yet to meet anyone I would call an enemy, but I am a pure recreational kayak fisherman.  Catching a fish is always the best outcome, but a good day on the water can't be beat in my mind.

I have owned a kayak since April and have had it out on the water about ten times.  I love fishing even if it doesn't involve catching.  This applied even before I bought my kayak.

The learning curve on a kayak takes some time.  Getting comfortable with handling your gear on the water and dealing with power boat traffic, current, wind, etc are all the things no one tells you about but you need to pick up on quickly.  If you ride a bike, just use the same level of care (head on a swivel/aware of surroundings) and common sense.  You are unprotected and small compared to the other traffic around you.  Wear your PFD!

The other part of learning is dealing with line and tackle issues in open water.  This was a big transition from bank fishing to being on the water.  Here your layout of your kayak and where you keep essential equipment comes into play.   

The most enjoyable part for me is being on the water paddling from place to place and being able to get to spots that I could never get to from the shoreline line/pier/bank....

Paddle or pedal depends on what you want to do and what body of water you expect to be on as does the size of your kayak (perhaps that is why some people own multiple yaks).  Pedal yaks will get you to places faster and you can go a lot further without wearing out.  Paddle yaks can go shallow, cost less, but if you are looking to be on the ocean or want travel more than five miles on the water, you should get a pedal yak.(IMHO)

IMHO the sport of kayak fishing is heaven on earth (unless you are snagged, with a birdsnest in your line, and the boat traffic around you is causing you to almost fall out)

David

Vibe Sea Ghost 110

" I believe in America."

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
<snipped> I don't know why, and I'm sure I'm wrong, but this all reminds me of SG. (OG's know who that is)

Al

Shudder - let's hope.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
<snipped> I don't know why, and I'm sure I'm wrong, but this all reminds me of SG. (OG's know who that is)

Al

Shudder - let's hope.

the SG still rears up from time to time in the most unexpected places
around the campfire y'all noobs can learn how to become a living meme
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

anything