Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:00:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Tragedy prevention for parents  (Read 2123 times)

MotherLoad

Had a difficult time even trying to come up with appropriate title for this post. My hope is only to bring attention to an issue that sadly impacts an average of 37 families annually.

My community has suffered a tragedy. A 19 month old child was lost to a preventable accident.

The 19 month old young lady was left unattended for several hours in the backseat of a vehicle. Forgoing all discussions about gross negligence, empathy for this family, etc...

my post is to simply request that all parent who leave their children at daycare (as I do daily) establish a protocol with their daycare provider if one does not already exist. I have asked my provider to contact me within 30 minutes if Elise does not arrive for a scheduled care day.  This simple intervention could have prevented this devestating tradegy
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 08:26:28 PM by Trutta »

masterandahound

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Just saw this on the news. Such a terrible story, and sadly, it was easily preventable. Sorry for your colleagues loss.

Kids (and pets) ... just don't leave them in the car !!! Doesn't matter how cool the weather is or how short of a time that you think they'll be left attended, it only takes a few minutes.
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

Tinker

When we start lining these idiots up against a wall and summarily shooting them, this bullshit will end.  Self-absorbed idiots deserve no sympathy, but we can all mourn the tragic loss of an innocent life.

And let's make someone else responsible for the tragedy, too!  "Oh, if only we had warning buzzers!"  "Oh, of only someone else were responsible for reminding me my kid's in the back seat!"

Get these fools out of the gene pool as fast as possible!  Shoot the idiots.  In public.  I'd bet we wouldn't have to shoot more than 10 - 13 at most - before folks turned off their cell phones and looked into their back seat.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
When we start lining these idiots up against a wall and summarily shooting them, this bullshit will end.  Self-absorbed idiots deserve no sympathy, but we can all mourn the tragic loss of an innocent life.

And let's make someone else responsible for the tragedy, too!  "Oh, if only we had warning buzzers!"  "Oh, of only someone else were responsible for reminding me my kid's in the back seat!"

Get these fools out of the gene pool as fast as possible!  Shoot the idiots.  In public.  I'd bet we wouldn't have to shoot more than 10 - 13 at most - before folks turned off their cell phones and looked into their back seat.

Jesus man.  37 a year in a country of 321 million is statistically not significant.  Have you ever misplaced or forgotten something?  Been distracted by something else and missed an appointment or deadline?  Been so upset by something that you just went through the motions?

Being forgetful doesn't discriminate between the big giant things and the mundane left your wallet on the counter type of things. 

You go straight from sociopathic lack of empathy straight to execution.  That's a bold leap.  I'll remember that the next time the waitress at Denny's forgets to bring me a spoon.  Maybe if we execute one in 10 instead of one in 10 million I'll finally stir the cream into my coffee before it gets unacceptably tepid.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
This is terribly sad

I am not sure how you forget a child in the backseat, but I guess I can see it happening when folks are stresses and overwhelmed and the baby is quiet.

no reason to shoot the parents, they have already lost the most important things in their lives
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

myyak8me

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016

Jesus man.  37 a year in a country of 321 million is statistically not significant.  Have you ever misplaced or forgotten something?  Been distracted by something else and missed an appointment or deadline?  Been so upset by something that you just went through the motions?

Being forgetful doesn't discriminate between the big giant things and the mundane left your wallet on the counter type of things. 

You go straight from sociopathic lack of empathy straight to execution.  That's a bold leap.  I'll remember that the next time the waitress at Denny's forgets to bring me a spoon.  Maybe if we execute one in 10 instead of one in 10 million I'll finally stir the cream into my coffee before it gets unacceptably tepid.
You said it better than me.  Thank you. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MotherLoad

You said it better than me.  Thank you. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

This type of extreme response is partially what had me questioning posting anything at all about this, that and I felt bringing additional attention to the situation is in someways insensitive to a family I care about.

I went forward in the sincere hope that bringing up a small preventative measure could reduce/prevent future tragedies and suffering. I’m saddened that this creates a forum for emotionally ignorant people to say horrible things about people they have never met. I can understand a degree of outrage, but the lack of empathy and emotional maturity speaks volumes about your character and sadly the character of many people in our society.

I hope you find a way to cope with whatever issues you suffer from which create a need to vent such ugliness on a public forum. Until then, do us all a favor and shut the fuck up
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 04:32:36 PM by Trutta »

Tinker

A spoon and a baby are apples and supernovas, crash.  They were on their cell phones, they were arguing, they were stressed, they were who-the-hell-cares what else, they were parents and they weren't too busy to look into the back seat when they got out of the car.

I don't understand the need to make excuses for what should be considered a criminal act.  Someone forgets to unload or lock up or otherwise safeguard a handgun and a child gets their hands on it and dies, and someone's going to jail.  You leave a baby to roast in a car and it's all, "Oh, the poor parents!"  Bullshit, plain and simple.

Who wants to bet the same folks wouldn't forget their briefcase or their cell phone and leave it in the backseat of a car all day?

Of course I'd sympathize with parents if they didn't know - had no reason to assume - a child was in the car.  That happens, too.  Is that what happened here?  If so, then I'd apologize, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

I raised a kid by myself from her 9th month to adulthood.  Parents don't get to be stressed or distracted or harried or anything other than attentive - that goes with the job of being a parent.  I suggest - and I'll stand by it - that anyone who can't devote their full attention to a child whenever the child is in their care - and at least half their attention when the child isn't in their direct care - has no business claiming to be a parent and should step back from the gene pool.

"Step back by force" was hyperbole.

The numbers are 37 in 19.9 million - using the number of children under the age of 5 in the U.S.  Or maybe 37 in 5.9 million - using the number of children under the age of 5 who die each year in the U.S.  Neither would be a statistically significant number of kids, 'though, if that's supposed to be the tipping-point when something switches from an accident to accidental manslaughter.

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Hi guys.
We can all learn from this by looking into cars when we walk by in parking lots or wherever.
Maybe we can prevent just one more incident from happening.
No need to be keyboard warriors  :smt003

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Hi guys.
We can all learn from this by looking into cars when we walk by in parking lots or wherever.
Maybe we can prevent just one more incident from happening.
No need to be keyboard warriors  :smt003

Keyboard warriors? With a grin, over loss of life of a defenseless child?
Oops, I killed my child? I'm not on that page.

Wow, unbelievable.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Get a life man. You're reading too much. All I'm suggesting is we can help watch out for youngins get left in the car.

You're an a!!.

FishingAddict

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007

You are sick and disturbing.
2018 Hobie Revolution 13 Cheeesy Orange Papaya
2019 Hobie Revolution 11 Seagrass Green

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Get a life man. You're reading too much. All I'm suggesting is we can help watch out for youngins get left in the car.

You're an a!!.

Maybe you should "read" what you wrote and consider its implied intent and impact. The name calling in both posts says way more.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014
So much lack of information and everyone, I mean everyone, is jumping to conclusions.  None of us were there and nobody knows the circumstances.   I actually agree with both sides. 

As a recently new dad, my kid just turned one two weeks ago, my kid is always on my mind when in my care.  Doesn't matter if I'm working from home, doing choirs, driving him to the grocery store, or whatever.  He's in my line of sight in mirrors when in the truck, I'm listening to the baby monitor when he's sleeping, or he's in within my peripheral vision when playing around the house or yard.  When a child is in your direct care, I find it hard to believe that you would let your mind wander enough to not think about the safety of your own child. 

Now, if the child was in the car without the individuals knowledge, then that's a whole different story.  I remember sneaking around the house and hiding from my nanny all the time.  I'd fall asleep in the deepest corners of my moms closet for hours.  The first few times, my mom called the cops to say I was missing.  Eventually she learned all my hiding and napping spots.   

Bottom line.  We weren't there.  We don't what happened.  I'm upset as a fellow parent of a young child but at the same time will mourn the loss of a young child who never will get to live a full life.  I don't feel the need to oust the parents at this point.  I'm sure they were going thru their worst nightmare right now. 

yatzmail@yahoo.com

You're an a!!.

Maybe you should "read" what you wrote and consider its implied intent and impact. The name calling in both posts says way more.

Anyways you have issues. Using this topic as a forum to hate is pathetic. Can you hear me now?