Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 07, 2024, 04:21:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:39:46 PM]

[Today at 02:59:57 PM]

[Today at 02:53:38 PM]

[Today at 12:21:11 PM]

[Today at 10:47:14 AM]

[Today at 10:41:39 AM]

[May 06, 2024, 07:41:04 PM]

by ark
[May 06, 2024, 07:35:15 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 05:30:34 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 04:22:01 PM]

[May 06, 2024, 12:12:45 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 11:01:16 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 06:41:33 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 04:42:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: FF Connection Corrosion Help  (Read 715 times)

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Hey folks before I launched BH yesterday my FF wouldnt turn on. My battery is new and fully charged, connextions were good until I pulled the power cord to the back of the unit and noticed corrosion on 2 of the 4 prongs. I'm sure some (maybe many)  of you have experienced this.
What do you all do to treat this, prevent this and/or keep it from even happening? Would love to get some feedback.
I ordered some Deoxit to to remove current corrosion and Dielectric grease to further prevent corrosion. It was $30!! Pros/cons to this? Better solution? Again, would love to hear what you all have to say.

Not sure if you need this info but I have a Garmin Striker 5 DV unit connected to a Nocqua 10 battery.

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
For electronics, use dielectric grease after the corrosion had been taken care of. Corrosion-x is not meant for electronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
For electronics, use dielectric grease after the corrosion had been taken care of. Corrosion-x is not meant for electronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Whats a cheap solution to safely remove it?

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I really don't what the Deoxit does. Don't think it's a rust remover. I use Boeshield Rust Free + T9, but I won't recommend it because the Rust Free is too strong and would eat into the metal. If you can completely reach the rusted area, you can use wd40 on a qtip and scrape off as much as you can, then apply the dielectric grease. If you smother the prongs with grease and keep it that way, it won't get worst. I do that on my Humminbird connectors that have some minor rust on them. They didn't get any worst in the last 4 years. In fact, I recommend smothering all your electronic connections with dielectric grease.

ernest

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Corrosion-x is not meant for electronics.

What are you talking about?  Right on the label, "Safe For Electronics"

read this link.  It will explain how it works.  I've been using it for 6 years on my FF connectors and battery connections with great results.  If sand does get in, I flush it with this stuff.  It works great!
http://www.corrosionx.com/electronics.html

« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 10:01:15 PM by Ski Pro 3 -- Jerry »

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Yes, it says safe on electronics, but it is basically an oil. I use corrosionX on my reels, but I do not use it for electronics. I think of it as a general purpose oil. Little bit of water would flush it away. Dielectric grease is designed to be used on electronics.
"Dielectric grease is electrically insulating and does not break down when high voltage is applied. It is often applied to electrical connectors, particularly those containing rubber gaskets, as a means of lubricating and sealing rubber portions of the connector without arcing."

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Yes, it says safe on electronics, but it is basically an oil. I use corrosionX on my reels, but I do not use it for electronics. I think of it as a general purpose oil. Little bit of water would flush it away. Dielectric grease is designed to be used on electronics.
"Dielectric grease is electrically insulating and does not break down when high voltage is applied. It is often applied to electrical connectors, particularly those containing rubber gaskets, as a means of lubricating and sealing rubber portions of the connector without arcing."

did you read the link?

Here it is again. 
http://www.corrosionx.com/electronics.html
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:11:09 AM by Ski Pro 3 -- Jerry »

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
"CorrosionX bonds with an underlying metal conductor as a Fluid Thin Film Coating (FTFC) that is just one molecule thick (0.0004"); when you place two such treated conductors in contact with each other, the resistance between them is only about 0.1 Ohm. So why doesn't it short out adjacent conductors? A separation of even just a faction of a millimeter is so many molecules wide that it exhibits a resistance beyond the billions of Ohms that our instrumentation can measure. In practical terms, it's an insulator."

Thanks for the link. I stand corrected. I've been using corrosionX for my reel maintenance, but didn't think it'd be good for electronics because this stuff is like a thin oil. I would test their claim on the resistance when I have a chance. One thing for sure, it does not stay on the connector pins nearly as well as the grease. The grease would last me 4-5 outings before I feel the need to reapply, whereas the corrosionX seems to be gone (from my reels) after every trip.

lucky13

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
"CorrosionX protection can stay in place for months in harsh, outdoor saltwater spray environments or for years on indoor gear."
That's not what I observed. It beginning to sound like advertising BS.

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Spring45

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks! Anybody use Deoxit to remove the rust/corrosion?