Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:51:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:22:14 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Boston whaler project boat  (Read 5020 times)

Fishdog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015

And now I am finally ready to send it off to get powered coated. Huge step forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WassawBound

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Looks sweet. I'm so jelly. You should consider having bumpers made to pad those sharp corners. One wave, sand bar or backing off the throttle too quickly could result in a nasty injury.

Fishdog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Looks sweet. I'm so jelly. You should consider having bumpers made to pad those sharp corners. One wave, sand bar or backing off the throttle too quickly could result in a nasty injury.
I have already thought about that and when I get it finished that will be addressed.

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Loves me a Boston Whaler, yours is looking really nice! I hope to see both you and the boat on the water someday!
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

Fishdog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Loves me a Boston Whaler, yours is looking really nice! I hope to see both you and the boat on the water someday!
Thanks man.  My console is at the powered coat shop as we speak. Boat is being painted end of this week. Should have the boat and console by the end of next week. So hopefully in 3 or 4 weeks it should be ready for the water.

NoSoupForU

• @paradisepescador on IG
  • Sea Lion
  • "If I'm not fishing, I'm sure thinking about it."
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Nice clean job! 

What year is the hull?  I had a 72' Nauset.  The last year of the old hardwood center consoles.  i ended up tearing the whole console apart, sanding it down to bare wood and epoxying every piece before I put it back together.

Make sure you secure that console to the hardwood slats that are set in the foam hull.  Otherwise it won't stay attached for long.   :smt013

Do you have all the rails for it too?

Good luck and keep up the good work!  I can't wait to see the final product. 

Fishdog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Nice clean job! 

What year is the hull?  I had a 72' Nauset.  The last year of the old hardwood center consoles.  i ended up tearing the whole console apart, sanding it down to bare wood and epoxying every piece before I put it back together.

Make sure you secure that console to the hardwood slats that are set in the foam hull.  Otherwise it won't stay attached for long.   :smt013

Do you have all the rails for it too?

Yes I do have the rails. This was the be for picture of the boat when I first bought it. And the console will be mount to the wood under the deck.
Good luck and keep up the good work!  I can't wait to see the final product.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
90 hp !  That thing is gonna skip through the water.

Alex
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

Squidder K

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The only fault I ever have seen with a whaler skiff is the bow, in humble opinion, it  tends to act like a scoop if you are in sets that have short intervals. About 4 years ago while trying to troll for salmon out at HMB I had a Whaler (about 15 foot I think) pass me on my Hobbie (non peddle),  they weren't going hell bent for leather but were moving at a decent clip, it was a short interval day, but not with large waves,  and he caught a wave just right in the bow, I swear if he scooped up a gallon he scooped up 50 gallons. I think he should of throttled back in that crap. His bilge pump was working overtime that day. But being a whaler, it just kept going.
Kevin Storm
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Patriots Fan since 1967

Fishdog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
The only fault I ever have seen with a whaler skiff is the bow, in humble opinion, it  tends to act like a scoop if you are in sets that have short intervals. About 4 years ago while trying to troll for salmon out at HMB I had a Whaler (about 15 foot I think) pass me on my Hobbie (non peddle),  they weren't going hell bent for leather but were moving at a decent clip, it was a short interval day, but not with large waves,  and he caught a wave just right in the bow, I swear if he scooped up a gallon he scooped up 50 gallons. I think he should of throttled back in that crap. His bilge pump was working overtime that day. But being a whaler, it just kept going.

Been there in my buddies 2013 17 footer 2 years ago. But we took way more then 50 gallons. The transom was about 3 inches under water had water coming in my 12inch extra tuffs and we were taking water over the port side. But like you said the whaler kept going. Had to hand bail water to help the pump out. In no time the back of the boat was above the water again. Never once did the boat feel like it was going to capsize. But man what an experience! Definitely makes you a believer in why whaler is one of the best.

NoSoupForU

• @paradisepescador on IG
  • Sea Lion
  • "If I'm not fishing, I'm sure thinking about it."
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

Been there in my buddies 2013 17 footer 2 years ago. But we took way more then 50 gallons. The transom was about 3 inches under water had water coming in my 12inch extra tuffs and we were taking water over the port side. But like you said the whaler kept going. Had to hand bail water to help the pump out. In no time the back of the boat was above the water again. Never once did the boat feel like it was going to capsize. But man what an experience! Definitely makes you a believer in why whaler is one of the best.

I had mine filled with water up to my knees once or twice, but never worried.   :smt003

Squidder K

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
They are called unsinkable for a reason.
Kevin Storm
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Patriots Fan since 1967

Fishdog

• Salmon
  • View Profile

Well it's back and looks great.

But I hit a hiccup along the way. Broke a bone in my hand. So kayak fishing is out of the question for me for 6 weeks. Unfortunately I will have no kayak fishing reports for a while.

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Dang that’s a bummer. Here’s to a speedy no more hiccups  :smt006

Fishdog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Dang that’s a bummer. Here’s to a speedy no more hiccups  :smt006
Thanks man. I will still be able to put my boat together. Just sucks I can get out on the yak.

anything