Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:16:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:49:33 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: rock fish recipies  (Read 12043 times)

gto19

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
whos got some .im always doin the fish/corn meal fry thing and would like to try somthing different.

what is that batter in the packet you guys are getting at the ranch 99(chinese stores).i tried and liked it alot! :smt033

laters

RellKnots

Hi gto19,

It sounds like Tempura to me...cause I used that a lot also not only on Sea Food but also good on vegetable, like mushroom, asparagus and etc...

Kiel ><>

Kevin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Panko flakes?  

Bill, you need to create recipe forum.  What do you think?

Kevin

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Go to the grill my friend.

Grilled rock fish with a little spicy rub (Pappy's is ok if your to lazy to make your own).  Grill it, a little salsa and shredded cabbage a lime wedge and a warmed corn tortilla.  Maybe some guac and whatever else tickles you tounge.

Heaven on earth.

Thank God for the fish taco.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
My wife recently created a rockfish recipe that is INSANE.  It sounds complicated, but it really only took about 10-15 minutes to prep.  The investment is worth it, SUPER tasty and it looks impressive.

1) Get some BIG portebello mushrooms, 1 for each serving.

2) Pop the stems off the shrooms and set them aside.  Quickly saute the caps in a little olive oil and garlic, just a few minutes a side.  Take the grilled caps out of the pan and put them bottom side up on a cookie sheet.

3) Put a little fresh gound pepper and sea salt on each side of fillets trimmed to the size of the shroom caps.  Quickly brown them in the same pan you used to saute the caps.  Once both side are nice and golden-brown take them out of the pan and stack a fillet on each shroom cap.

4) Chop up the shroom stems you saved and add a minced garlic, onion and celery.  Make enough so you can put a decent scoop on top of each fillet.  Saute them in the same pan for a few minutes.  Put a generous scoop on top of each fillet.

5) Top off each shroom/fillet/saute stack with crumbled feta, grated parmesan, and a final drizzle of good quality olive oil.  Bake it in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until things are browning and starting to flow.

Serve with chicken stock risotto, salad, and a spicy red...an unbelievable combo!  

BTW-you also now know why I am a fat bastard, but a HAPPILY married fat bastard!

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
This is my recipie for an easy to prepare meal of rockfish for many people:

Coconut fish curry

1 tsp peanut or olive oil
1 bunch green onion, chopped 1/2 - 1"
1/2 tbsp red curry paste (I like panaeng curry from 99 ranch)
2 cups coconut milk
1 bell pepper (In large batches I like to mix colors)
400g firm white fish fillets (ie, ROCKFISH), cut into 1-2" pieces
1 tbsp fish sauce (amoy patis!)
1 tbsp palm sugar or brown sugar
1 lime worth of juice
20 Fresh basil leaves

Mix wet ingredients (including brown sugar) and bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until the curry paste is dissolved, then add vegetables and cook for a further 5 minutes.  Last add fish and cook for a final 5 minutes.  Serve with garnish of basil leaves with a side of rice. Serves 2.

You have to be careful of different curries, the little cans of curry (like a catfood can) is usually perfect for one batch (read the directions), but some curry paste from a jar can be much spicier and require only a 1/2 tablespoon.  If in doubt, use 1/2 tablespoon and taste the concoction before adding vegetables, add more as needed to give you the propper spiciness.

This recipie is good for fish that's been in the freezer a while.  I used it to wipe out my rockfish from last summer during the winter months.  This recipie is also good with halibut.  It's nice that you can make a huge batch with little extra effort if your fish is already filleted and de-boned.  

The lime is the 'magic' ingredient in this recipie, don't forget it - maybe pick up some coronas too while you're at it.   :smt003

BTW, the breading you inquire about is most likely panko.  It's very cheap and good on almost everything.  We buy tube squid and shrimp and have panko-fests with fish and abalone pretty regularly at my house.  Careful or you'll gain 5lbs after discovering the stuff...
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

MolBasser

• Sea Lion
  • Kayak disguised as a Bass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2005
Now that is some recipe posting.

Damn Sean, That is a good woman you have there.

MolBasser
2006 Kayak Connection Father's Day Champion
"The Science of Fishing"
Relax, Don't Worry, Have a Homebrew!
  :happy10:

JZumi

Here's a really easy recipe that is awesome.  Fantastic with Vermillion, black, blue rockfish and striped bass.

1 whole rockfish, gutted and descaled. Use kitchen shears to remove spines.  You can remove head and tail but this is not required.  

Steam or poach the fish in water with chunks of fresh ginger.  Alternately, you can cover fish and ginger tightly with foil and "steam" it on the BBQ or in oven.  Cook till done and flaky.

Transfer fish to platter, discard ginger chunks.  Sprinkle liberally with soysauce.

Smother fish with slivered green onions and shoga (slivered pickled ginger-- it's red and comes in jars from the Asian food mart).

Heat about 1/2 cup of oil until almost smoking. then pour over fish/greenonions/shoga.  Do this part outside cause it splatters --be very careful.

Enjoy.

gto19

• Salmon
  • View Profile
holy shit!!you guys are gonna make me fat.all these recipies sound great!!!now only if i knew were we could catch some rockfish. :smt102

:smoke

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
There ya go Bill.  We already have a good start for recipe section :smt023
I'll even submit my recipe for sturgeon gizzards :smt003
Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Damn Sean, That is a good woman you have there.

She's one of a kind.  I am the luckiest man alive.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Here's a couple easy ones I experimented with on the big sur catch.  I normally just deep fry in egg and flour but that got boring.  These are all pretty easy and can be altered to fit taste.

1/4 cup of the following:
baby carrots
sliced zuccini
sliced squash
quartered mushsrooms
quartered brocoli
bean sprouts

Take a piece of foil and throw down a layer of mushrooms and a tablespoon of butter.  Over the mushrooms add a rockfish fillet rubbed with a light layer of olive oil, salt and pepper.  After that I just pile on the rest of the vegies and enclose the foil around it.  Toss it on the grill or in oven for roughly 15 minutes on medium high heat.  When done the vegies are steamed, fillet is tender and the mushrooms sauteed.  Aside from tasting great its pretty healthy and requires little prep/clean up.

Rockfish Poppers:

rockfish fillets cut into 1"cubes
strip bacon ( I use turkey bacon)
1 slicedgreen jalapeno
quartered mushrooms
shredded mozarella

Take the fish cubes, jalapeno and mushroom, wrap them with a strip of bacon and stick a toothpick through it to keep it secure.  Bake in oven till the bacon is crisp, remove and sprinkle cheese on top.  They can also be pan fried but turkey bacon doesn't quite have enough grease to pull it off so you're gonna need the real stuff.  

I'm gonna hit my parents up for the ceviche recipe, its a bit of effort to make but probably one of the best seafood dishes ever.
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

KZ

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile Kunz's Reel Rods
For simplicity... best with ling cod

On the grill...

Put the fish in some foil.  Place a few pats of butter on the fillet.  Sprinkle with Tarragon and Dill Weed.  Close the foil and let it steam on the grill until the meat turns opaque.  Salt lightly to taste.  Yummy.

Can do it steamed as well in a steaming basket over boiling water.  

Erik
2006 Elk Tourney Champion
2006 Angler of the Year 3rd Place

Kunz's Reel Rods
www.kzreelrods.com

Acts 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
My current favorite:

RockCod filets

butter (bring to room temp)
1 tablespoon Old Bay
1-2 cloves minced Garlic
1 Shalots
1 tablespoon fresh basil
salt and pepper

I use boneless and skinless fillets but you can leave the skin on.

Mix all the ingredients (except fillets) to make a compound butter.

Using aluminum foil create small "trays" just big enough to hold a fillet. Make sure the sides of the foil are about 1/2 high. You will make 1 tray per fillet.

Salt and pepper both sides of the fillets and place in the trays. Spread the compound butter over each fillet.

Broil until done, about 5-8 minutes.

Remove fillets from trays and pour melted butter in the tray over the fillet.

I usually serve over rice with some asparagus.

Anonymous

Well, Panko was mentioned, but no specific instructions, so for those with no deep frying experience, here you go.

Make a beer batter to the consistancy just thinner than pancake batter (flour, beer, and some seasoned salt to taste).  I use whatever beer's in the fridge, but I haven't tried any dark beers, as I have heard it doesn't come out quite the same.  Your typical light or regular commercial beer will do.

Dip the filets in the beer batter to coat, then dip in the Panko, covering the whole filet.  Deep fry for about 3-4 minutes, or until the panko starts to turn golden brown.  Serve with the usuals, tartar sauce and lemon wedges, if thats your thing.

Panko can be found in any asian specialty store, or in the asian section of your local grocer (my local Vons carries it).  Enjoy, and keep the recipes comin'! :smt003

Jon