Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:54:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:20:14 PM]

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: ForeBay 4/9  (Read 1403 times)

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Meet Stuart and Craig around 7:30. It was pretty much dead calm when we launched. Stuart was drifting minnows, Craig and I where trolling lures.

I got nothing for the first 3 hours except for one dink. I paddled back over towards Stuart and watched him land a 18.5". I started to paddle away and got hit hard. After a few nice runs I brought it to my yak. I nice fat 4# about 25" long. My biggest striper to date! I paddled around a bit more and landed an 18' (released). The wind had started howling at this point I made one last troll. After not getting bit I started drifting back towards the launch with my lure still out. I am drinking a gatorade when by rod gets bent and line starts screaming out. I grab my rod and it feels heavy. Just then a largemouth launches itself out of the water behind me. It felt like reeling in a log. It flew out of the water about 3 more times before I landed it. A nice 4#'er. I was going to hold it so Stuart could snap a pic of my first ever large mouth but after a few minutes I dunked it back in the water to revive it a bit and it slipped out of my hand.

Fun day we where in by noon.

Potato_River

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Bill & Craig,
It was great being on the water with you guys.  

Trolling seemed like it was the way to go today.  That was the only fish/hit  on the minnows for several hrs of drifting.  I was starting to get discouraged with the bait after I kept hearing you guys land fish.  After I switched to trolling, I hooked one not too long afterwards (rattle trap).

Bill,
thanks for the 4 lber.  My in laws were thrilled to get such a nice fat fish!!  didn't realize how small mine really was unitl I got home to clean them.  Congrats on the Large Mouth.  From the distance, I saw the splashing and new you were on a decent sized fish.

BTW, I got a call from Fred at Mendo.  He fished with Ken and Eric and between them, Ken caught a nice 9lber.  He spoke to another fisherman who claimed that the water level dropped in the lake, which sloooowed down the bite.  (Sean, what's the scoop???)  

He still had a great time, but was pretty beat from a long drive and hard day on the water.

Stuart

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Stu-The water is still really high. If anything the weather has been active up here, and that may have affected the bite.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Nice job Bill  :smt023  Seems like your getting into some bigger fish every time you go out. Looks like your modified lure is getting the job done  :smt002  

Congrats on your first Large Mouth!

Stu - glad to see your getting out there!

Bill

• Sea Lion
  • My Brother
  • View Profile GulfStream Outdoors
I felt like your good friend Roland Martin we that LM jumped out of the water!  :smt016

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile