Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:10:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Kayaks with the highest weight capacity on the market  (Read 14195 times)

• Better lucky than good.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
Hobie tandem oasis...550lb...super dry ride...super stable....w/turbo fins easily manageable solo....I put both my kids in the front and pedal all day long...not mention tons of space when traveling solo...

Now from what i have come across for the research part of all these yaks is that you aren't getting a bang for your buck factor with Hobie... you are getting a good kayak but you are paying out the rear for it. I am not willing to spend that much nor do i really have the available funds to make something like that happen. there are (in my opinion) better looking yaks for about half the price. I think that if I weighed about half of what i do now i would definitely consider saving up to get one of those rigs but it almost seems like those are made for the smaller guys. just off of what i have gathered from my research and looking at the designs of some of these yaks.
-Wet Behind The Ears-

Wilderness Systems Ride 135

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

"It’s not whether you get knocked down; It’s whether you get back up.” - Vince Lombardi

FishingForTheCure

• "I'm going to make dinner because my colors taste like hungry"
  • Manatee
  • LOWRANCE & SIMRAD PRO STAFF
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
With Hobie, you are paying the extra for the ability to peddal & paddle.  The Mirage drive is, I believe, between $500-600 for a replacement drive.  Cost of a basic kayak by itself!  It's all a matter of what you want, can afford and feels right for your needs.

jbaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Has anyone mentioned the cobra fish and dive? 600lb capacity with a little more rocker than an X factor. IMHO the list of best choices would be x-factor, big tuna, cobra fish and dive in that order.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I'm curious about the Big Tuna.  What's left for deck layout and rear tankwell space when converted to single paddler.  Sure, you can convert it, but is what's left really that good of a single kayak.  Why?

-Allen

alamedamike

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Now from what i have come across for the research part of all these yaks is that you aren't getting a bang for your buck factor with Hobie...
Hobie owner research??? :poti

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
my trident 15 says 500-550.  At my heaviest I was 287 and had no problems with capacity.  I have heard second hand that x factors that have that lower hatch in the tankwell can leak when weighed down.  The edge of the hatch can go underwater.  Never tested it myself though. 

paddled the big game, and did not really care for the way it paddles.

That is somewhat true about the tankwell hatch, I have sealed mine shut since I never use it on the water anyway. Not a fan of opening any hatch on the ocean unless it is a front hatch that is well above the water line.

I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
my trident 15 says 500-550.  At my heaviest I was 287 and had no problems with capacity.  I have heard second hand that x factors that have that lower hatch in the tankwell can leak when weighed down.  The edge of the hatch can go underwater.  Never tested it myself though. 

paddled the big game, and did not really care for the way it paddles.

That is somewhat true about the tankwell hatch, I have sealed mine shut since I never use it on the water anyway. Not a fan of opening any hatch on the ocean unless it is a front hatch that is well above the water line.

I have not had that problem with my X. I think I would try the KZ Frog's Butt Upgrade (http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=5204.msg42513#msg42513) or some semblance of it if it was leaking before sealing it shut.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

Joesmoe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
Actually when you look at what you get with a hobie I think they are right in line with every body else's prices.
2011 Hobie outback
2012 Ride 135

sacdipper

• Sardine
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'm curious about the Big Tuna.  What's left for deck layout and rear tankwell space when converted to single paddler.  Sure, you can convert it, but is what's left really that good of a single kayak.  Why?

-Allen

At about 13 minutes he breaks down the features of using the boat solo.  Loads of usable space.
"The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing."

MistralWind

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
You're still going to have to paddle that big kayak against wind, waves and current. You reach a point of diminishing returns if what you want is just a giant kayak. I don't think anyone needs close to 300 pounds of gear on board. And if you're just concerned with extra freeboard, that extra material is also working against you in the above elements. YOU have to be able to provide the propulsion...

I weigh close to 180 pounds and my kayak has about a 350 pound capacity. Not much for a 16 footer. It's still one of the most seaworthy yaks out there though. Sits pretty low in the water and will take on some water and splash when things get challenging. It is also very fast which makes up for the low water line. You have to be able to provide some forward propulsion or your yak becomes a floating barge of sorts when things turn nasty and you can't really control it.  Again, diminishing returns because of the large size point.

My 2 cents anyway. Good luck in your search!       

Hobie Adventure Island

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Barge.
+1 my cuda 14 seems like a barge sometimes.Go to the demo event next weekend in oakley!!!!!They will have a ton of demos everything from jackson to hobie.I think your over thinking the whole weight capacity a bit.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004

-Allen

At about 13 minutes he breaks down the features of using the boat solo.  Loads of usable space.

Well, I think that video sort of just proves my point.  I think doubles that convert to singles are "less than ideal".  I used to do this with a Cobra Triple.  Yes, you can do it, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

-Allen

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
You're still going to have to paddle that big kayak against wind, waves and current. You reach a point of diminishing returns if what you want is just a giant kayak. I don't think anyone needs close to 300 pounds of gear on board. And if you're just concerned with extra freeboard, that extra material is also working against you in the above elements. YOU have to be able to provide the propulsion...

I weigh close to 180 pounds and my kayak has about a 350 pound capacity. Not much for a 16 footer. It's still one of the most seaworthy yaks out there though. Sits pretty low in the water and will take on some water and splash when things get challenging. It is also very fast which makes up for the low water line. You have to be able to provide some forward propulsion or your yak becomes a floating barge of sorts when things turn nasty and you can't really control it.  Again, diminishing returns because of the large size point.

My 2 cents anyway. Good luck in your search!       

your not kidding!when I took out my 14 pa 1st time in the ocean it was great.until the wind pick up and the swell started rolling.it seemed I was going nowhere it felt like I was gonna go sideways cause I couldn't get forward momentum.i was just glad the swells didn't get any worse when I reach the kelp beds the swells died down then I learned about hobies and kelp.stayed dried but was a little scary first time out in the ocean
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Barge.
+1 my cuda 14 seems like a barge sometimes.Go to the demo event next weekend in oakley!!!!!They will have a ton of demos everything from jackson to hobie.I think your over thinking the whole weight capacity a bit.
which weekend ,dates I'd like to demo a eddy crib 14
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

anything