Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:10:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:47:16 PM]

[Today at 07:06:57 PM]

[Today at 06:46:00 PM]

[Today at 06:45:26 PM]

[Today at 06:45:01 PM]

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Looking for a better tow vehicle, suggestions and offers welcome!  (Read 4162 times)

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
An SUV is tempting because I could still use it to commute if I end up having to do so again.  Toyota and Acura are two of my favorite manufacturers I am surprised I didn't think to look at them before so will do some searching on them now.

Was just reading about Suburbans having bad transmissions, anyone have first hand experience with that as an issue?  They also seem to be some of the lowest priced options in the used market.  Are Tahoe's better/same?

I really don't want something as heavy as 5-6K pounds, more around 3K, but dont want to worry about being underpowered either. 

Appreciate the suggestions everyone!  I've been thinking about this for far too long and want to do more extended trips.

I think you should pin down what trailer you want, and then look at the next size larger for specs.  Use 15% of the total weight of the trailer for tongue weight - this counts against your total tow vehicle payload.  Add a 25-30% margin for trailer weight to determine vehicles with appropriate tow ratings.  Then look at the length of your trailer.  Longer trailers should be towed with longer vehicles. There are several online calculators for that.

So, for my situation, I knew I wanted to tow a 28' trailer. Average weight there for lightweight trailers is in the 8000lb range, so around 1200lbs tongue weight.  So, right off the bat, that eliminated basically all of the SUVs, and most half ton trucks. Many large SUVs might fit the weight limit, but not the payload limit.  I found that certain equipment packages on the F150 and Silverados put me in the envelope, so I looked at those. My truck, as equipped, has a 1900lb payload rating and 13,000lb tow rating - both well within the specs for the size trailer I wanted to tow.

Keep in mind though, I have 3 kids, two dogs, and a gear obsession. So, that payload number creeps up real quick. Most vehicles assume 150lbs for the driver and a full tank of gas - anything else in the vehicle counts against payload. So, with the other 50lbs of me, my wife, kids, dogs, and random gear, we are VERY close to the 1900lb payload capacity of the truck.

Also consider gearing - low gears always tow easier. SUVs, especially front wheel biased SUVs, are gonna have really high gears to meet mileage benchmarks, which makes them less than ideal for towing. I would avoid front wheel biased SUVs for towing anything other than light weight utility trailers, ie kayaks.

Suburbans and Tahoes have the same engines/transmissions. The Tahoe is just the short version, suburban the longer. Older Suburban models can be found in 3/4 ton config - those are a different beast entirely. The engines are generally LS series V8s, as good as American has ever made, but the rest of the vehicle tends to have little problems. The transmissions are hit and miss.

Toyotas are great, but for towing, you probably want a Tundra, Sequoia, or Land Cruiser - those are all pretty pricey relative to American equivalents.

Dodge/Ram - meh. I'm not a fan, haha.

I went with Ford because the 3.5l Ecoboost hit the power/mileage venn diagram for me. Older trucks have a 6 speed, newer ones have a 10 speed, and they are both rock solid. I should also note that in newer models, Ford is the only American with a low range transfer case available in standard 4x4 models (without off-road package). Important for if you ever get a boat and are trying to trailer on a steep, slimy ramp.

Also - nothing wrong with commuting in a truck :). They often get the same or better mileage as similarly capable SUVs. With the stock size tires, I averaged 23mpg with mine. My FIL with the 2.7l Ecoboost gets 26 with his. Both are better than my Honda Pilot...
- Kevin

GrimKeeper

• Sea Lion
  • To consume, you must produce.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Expedition 4X4. Fold down seats make a huge flat space for gear that is lockable. Roof racks for kayaks. Very capable for off road. Decent fuel economy. And they tow very well.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Expedition 4X4. Fold down seats make a huge flat space for gear that is lockable. Roof racks for kayaks. Very capable for off road. Decent fuel economy. And they tow very well.
Someone recently suggested the same and in researching it seems like a pretty solid vehicle for a low price.  I'm even seeing ones with only 150K mileage for under 5K.  Thanks for the suggestion!  I'm going to try and sell off some old kayaks to cover the cost and get one pretty soon.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

GrimKeeper

• Sea Lion
  • To consume, you must produce.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Someone recently suggested the same and in researching it seems like a pretty solid vehicle for a low price.  I'm even seeing ones with only 150K mileage for under 5K.  Thanks for the suggestion!  I'm going to try and sell off some old kayaks to cover the cost and get one pretty soon.
I went through the exact same process. I hunted out of mine and towed (not a rv.) I was sold on how well the seats fold down and ridiculous amount of storage space. Not too bad to load yaks, you may have to stand on the tires. Towing the boat was like nothing was even back there, though towing inevitably sucks a bit more gas. But I couldn't have been more pleased with it all around. And the added bonus of the fact that you can get them relatively cheap is icing on the cake.

wormguy

• The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you're still a rat
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
Ok you can laugh at me but I'm wondering what kind of mileage do you get from one of those big ones?
Native Slayer Propel 13
Hobie Revolution 11

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Expeditions are great rigs. Older ones can be had for cheap, as commented. Those older 5.4 and 4.6 V8s are super reliable too. Most Ford based light duty service rigs had those for about 2 decades. Cop cars, taxis, F150s, etc.

Ok you can laugh at me but I'm wondering what kind of mileage do you get from one of those big ones?

When considering a tow vehicle, mileage becomes a lesser concern than capability and reliability. Honestly, it's probably similar to a 4 runner...
- Kevin

Tsuri

• Do I even fish brah?
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I'm a big Toyota fan.

A buddie of mine got one of these with 250,000 miles about a year ago and is really happy with it. Gas mileage isn't great so you can often get good deals on them and you get 260 HP and a bunch of torque.

Tows more than it weighs!
P13. T160. Evo 465
Old and salty crew

"I think before the day is done I want to be a fisherman"    - Primus

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
It is tempting to go for a V8 4Runner for sure, especially a newer one than my mold runner  :smt044. Problem for me is that I spent 6k two years ago on an top end engine rebuild plus all the extras and my 4Runner is still my favorite for doing local driving.  It does tow my current trailer just fine, but it's not heavy enough for pull something bigger safely.  The V8 might do what I need though.

The other option that seems most fuel efficient is a truck, like F150 would probably be fine.  I just also feel like if I"m going to have a second travel vehicle I should be able to sleep in it, for those rare trips where the camper is too much of a hassle. 

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
Take a look at the Toyota Sequoia. 2008 and newer have the 5.7 V8. I have a 2010. Love it! it's got 190K on it and runs like new. Burns no oil and I'm getting 16city /18hwy. That's the same as a lot of the V6's out there. It's a 4x4, the rear seats fold all the way down creating a huge flat area to store gear or sleep in. I've towed many different trailers all over the state and it's tows like they aren't even there. Next time we get together, let me know and you can take it for a spin.
I fish, therefore I Cuss and Lie!

Ross

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
A +1 from here on the MDX. I have a 2006 with maybe 150K. I haven't towed with it but I'm  looking for a hitch now to pull my boston whaler. Ride great. Reliable. Decent mileage.

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
dang..the Tacoma wasn't the right vehicle, so they replaced with a full size diesel rig and still crap on the Tacoma?  the tacoma just wasnt the right vehicle, or the shopping was done without seeing the full picture of "need".

no need to poop on Tacoma.  I have two right now.  both kickass.  gets me to any kayak destination with zero drama.  I don't tow tho.  if I towed, I would buy a bigger rig. 

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Trade you my VW GTI for your Tacoma  :smt003

DarthBaiter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2018
Trade you my VW GTI for your Tacoma  :smt003

I almost got a GTI!  I bought the Mazdaspeed3 instead, and it was my biggest forehead slapping car purchase of my life.  haha..great vehicle, but oh so WRONG for my life.  I was heavy into bow-hunting then.  opps.

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Hey Al, my friend is selling a 2014 Tundra double cab. It has 146k miles with the 4.8ltr v8 and supposedly tows 10k lbs. It’s a decent deal at $17k. 6.5ft bed and lots of aftermarket parts.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 12:57:16 PM by Sin Coast »
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

anything