Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:01:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:45:12 PM]

[Today at 08:39:39 PM]

[Today at 08:38:39 PM]

[Today at 07:56:21 PM]

[Today at 07:50:41 PM]

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Looking for a better tow vehicle, suggestions and offers welcome!  (Read 4171 times)

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I'm looking for a better tow vehicle than my 4Runner for pulling something a bit bigger than the tiny trailer I currently have.  The 4Runner is great on gas and gets me many places, but it frankly sucks for towing and it's capacity is pretty low.  I'm not looking to buy big trailer, but something more like an R-Pod 17 or smaller, something that is bit more comfortable than just a bed which is what I have now.

I've been just looking at inexpensive used car choices that would fit the bill and came down with some basic towing stats up to at least 5,000lbs I think would be good enough.  trying for less than 12 years old, V8 4X4 decent brakes and tow capacity, I come up with some cheaper options on Craigslist like Chevy Subrban or Tahoe, Cadillac Escalade for about 10-15k but  something like a Tundra or F150 would be a bit more.   

Any suggestions on other vehicles to search for towing?  Have anything you have been thinking of getting rid of?  Let me know!
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Not selling mine anytime soon, but I really love my F150.  Super capable, great mileage for what it is, and very comfortable for a truck.
- Kevin

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
my FIL just took delivery of his F150 Lightning. loves it.  just setup an llc consulting biz and use that as ur mobile office.  w all the free charging in scotts valley n south bay ur annual opex will b damn near zero!

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
I love my 2021 ford ranger. 2019s are same gen and the 2024 orders open up in 3 months and those are new gen. Used prices will drop more when that happens.   These trucks will last. Multiple with 200k+ already.

4x4, 7500lb towing, 20mpg.
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

wannabe

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
my FIL just took delivery of his F150 Lightning. loves it.  just setup an llc consulting biz and use that as ur mobile office.  w all the free charging in scotts valley n south bay ur annual opex will b damn near zero!

I have not been hearing good stuff about the Lightning’s towing capabilities.   
"Do it while you're young. You may never have another chance to do anything this stupid again!" - Tom Magliozzi

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

I have not been hearing good stuff about the Lightning’s towing capabilities.

I think most complaints are with the range - extra load kills the battery life. 

I'm still wondering why Ford chose the luxo-level supercrew configuration for the first interation of the electric F150?  Where are the electric fleet vehicles?  Those make more sense to me - the parts delivery or jobsite services trucks that literally go across town to deliver or fix something, then get plugged in for the rest of the day. 
- Kevin

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Meh, a fleet vehicle needs to work, down time is money lost. Anyone who buys an electric truck……doesn’t really need a truck….so plenty of time to charge it at the local station on a mall run or Whole Foods trip. 
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

B0B

• Sea Lion
  • Tapatalk User
  • View Profile JIGS
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
First gen tundra. 00-06.  the low rev steel 4.7l is a million mile motor. and very easy to work on. 

when i was shopping, i was looking for a new truck,  but i dug deeper into these tundras,  they seemed to be invincible.  got one in 2018 and never looked back.

towing is about 5100, and gets about as much mpgs as a tacoma.  gets better mpg if comparing with a tacoma if both trucks are carrying load same load.  they are really just a tacoma "XL" with a bulletproof v8.

if you can find one in good condition with under 250k miles you'll be good for a while.

my truck has 88k.  and im certain itll outlast most new trucks made today.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

-Bob Pham

Kaiju Custom Tackle
Making custom Fishing lures and jigs since 2015. Out of San Jose, California
Check out my stuff for sale: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=75876.0
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kaijucustomtackle/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Kaiju-Custom-Tackle-103053935047653

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Wife bought a brand new Tacoma in 2021.
HATED IT!
It wanted to be a truck but can't do anything a real truck can do.
Talked her into getting rid of it and got a 2001 F250 7.3 diesel extended cab 4x4.
Tows the toy hauler with the RZR loaded inside no problem and overall gets just as good mileage as the Tacoma did.
Could not be happier.
<=>

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Wife bought a brand new Tacoma in 2021.
HATED IT!
It wanted to be a truck but can't do anything a real truck can do.
Talked her into getting rid of it and got a 2001 F250 7.3 diesel extended cab 4x4.
Tows the toy hauler with the RZR loaded inside no problem and overall gets just as good mileage as the Tacoma did.
Could not be happier.

This is why I bought a Ford also - Tacoma and F150 are about the same price, but the F150 has more power, WAY more usable capability, and gets better MPG.

Love the old 7.3s.  Grew up around those, great trucks.  Tow anything, haul anything, get reasonable mileage, go WAY more places offroad (even without giant tires and excessive lift kit) than most people give them credit to go.  Reliable like nothing else, and maintenance is pretty easy.  Everything is rebuildable.  I actually really wanted a 1999-2002 7.3 crew cab, but those are getting hard to find and they fetch a significant price for a clean one.  Cost less to buy my Ecoboost F150, haha.

Meh, a fleet vehicle needs to work, down time is money lost. Anyone who buys an electric truck……doesn’t really need a truck….so plenty of time to charge it at the local station on a mall run or Whole Foods trip. 

Totally agree on who the Lightning was made for.

- Kevin

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Well I got some news at work that I could be out of a job by the end of the year or even sooner.  In that case I don't think I will be buying anything but used at this point.  Going to plan on selling my VW GTI to cover the cost of a better tow vehicle, so I'm looking for around 10K.  I've not owned a truck prior, so it's tempting to get one, but a v8 SUV should fit my needs as well I think. 

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Well I got some news at work that I could be out of a job by the end of the year or even sooner.  In that case I don't think I will be buying anything but used at this point.  Going to plan on selling my VW GTI to cover the cost of a better tow vehicle, so I'm looking for around 10K.  I've not owned a truck prior, so it's tempting to get one, but a v8 SUV should fit my needs as well I think.

That's a bummer, sorry to hear about your job. I'm also at a transition point this summer - might have to move for work - but I know I am being reassigned regardless.

If you aren't towing more than about 6000lbs, an Expedition or Tahoe/Suburban would probably work well. Keep in mind, tow rating is only one part of the equation - payload rating and wheelbase both play important parts in towing, especially with long/tall/heavy RVs. 

Good luck in your search, and I hope your work situation turns out well for you.
- Kevin

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

If you get a truck, your cargo space (truck bed) is not secured unless you get a shell/bed cover.   If your towing requirement is not too high, get an SUV.   I have an old Acura MDX, bought and install the tow hitch myself easy.  Can tow up to 5000 lbs if i am not mistaken (but i am towing nowhere its limit).

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Plug-n-Jug

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2021
Take a look at the Toyota Sequoias. I have a 2010 with a 5.7 V8 and love it. It's 4x4 and I can tow anything. Plenty of room to store stuff and big enough to sleep in comfortably if I need/want to. Plenty of models/years available out there right now from 7 to 15K. The earlier years have a 4.7 V8. Both engines are rock solid and deliver plenty of towing power. I also have a 04 Tundra with the 4.7, Both are running strong, use no oil and have had needed no repairs. Just the usual stuff... battery, belts hoses...

Kevin
I fish, therefore I Cuss and Lie!

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
An SUV is tempting because I could still use it to commute if I end up having to do so again.  Toyota and Acura are two of my favorite manufacturers I am surprised I didn't think to look at them before so will do some searching on them now.

Was just reading about Suburbans having bad transmissions, anyone have first hand experience with that as an issue?  They also seem to be some of the lowest priced options in the used market.  Are Tahoe's better/same?

I really don't want something as heavy as 5-6K pounds, more around 3K, but dont want to worry about being underpowered either. 

Appreciate the suggestions everyone!  I've been thinking about this for far too long and want to do more extended trips.