Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:17:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 11:51:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:16:08 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:56:21 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:50:41 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Pacific Grove is becoming a tough neighborhood  (Read 2498 times)

The Gopher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
Fish & let fish

Otis

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2021
I’m going to keep saying this … we need to open up marine mammals to hunting, again.

Fwiw, that was a little bitty shark bite, probably cute as as hell.  :smt003

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Not in love with the "multiple times" nature of the attack.

That shark must like the taste of paddleboard…
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Hummm.... And I went there last weekend to get away from the landlord  :smt005
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

maethlin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
Well hells, I was just trying to decide if I should hit the MBK area tomorrow.

Tyler

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
I’ve been saying for years, and I’ve talked a bit with Giancarlo Thomae about it…no one’s been fishing white sharks since 1994, there was a decline in harvest leading up to that day and there are no culling methods employed in California given its coastlines pivotal role in the species.  As the years go on and we continue to play in the water in the red triangle the encounters we have will increase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

maethlin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
I've only been kayaking in the ocean for a couple of years now (and I love it)... but I'm curious if it's genuinely a bad idea to fish the MBK area so soon after a reported attack like that? My more rational side thinks despite how scary these reports can be, there's still only a small handful of actual injury-level attacks every year out of countless thousands of kayak launches and surfers/paddleboarders that hit the waves (I'm guessing the drive down is probably more dangerous).

But again I'm relatively inexperienced, so maybe it's a dumb idea to go lol

Tyler

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
I've only been kayaking in the ocean for a couple of years now (and I love it)... but I'm curious if it's genuinely a bad idea to fish the MBK area so soon after a reported attack like that? My more rational side thinks despite how scary these reports can be, there's still only a small handful of actual injury-level attacks every year out of countless thousands of kayak launches and surfers/paddleboarders that hit the waves (I'm guessing the drive down is probably more dangerous).

Def go fish, the frequency is not at a level you should be afraid, only aware.

The Gopher

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2018
I’ve been saying for years, and I’ve talked a bit with Giancarlo Thomae about it…no one’s been fishing white sharks since 1994, there was a decline in harvest leading up to that day and there are no culling methods employed in California given its coastlines pivotal role in the species.  As the years go on and we continue to play in the water in the red triangle the encounters we have will increase.

A managed cull of sea lions and white sharks along the coast seems reasonable at this point if you take out the touchy feely watched-too-many-agenda-driven-nature-shows factor. If it’s ever going to happen, the sea otters are the angle that needs to be worked. Read and heard a couple times recently that shark bites are now the leading cause of death for sea otters in Monterey Bay. Sea otters are like the poster child for the restoration of marine habitat around here, so we can’t have sharks chomping them all up. And sea lions don’t have any redeeming qualities. I’d volunteer to cull some sea lions for free with maybe an archery season from the kayak. That would make for some interesting if toxin-laden dinners. And some of those things have sea lion herpes.
Fish & let fish

FishnBeer

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2022
You know it will never ever be legal. But I gotta say, it would be pretty cool if you could get a tag for a great white. Not to harvest - I would not have any idea what to do with it other than display the teeth. But just to be able to target them and try and reel one in!

OR

Let private citizens keep them as pets. Keep one of them bad boys in my bath tub.

ppickerell

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006

A managed cull of sea lions and white sharks along the coast seems reasonable at this point if you take out the touchy feely watched-too-many-agenda-driven-nature-shows factor. If it’s ever going to happen, the sea otters are the angle that needs to be worked. Read and heard a couple times recently that shark bites are now the leading cause of death for sea otters in Monterey Bay. Sea otters are like the poster child for the restoration of marine habitat around here, so we can’t have sharks chomping them all up. And sea lions don’t have any redeeming qualities. I’d volunteer to cull some sea lions for free with maybe an archery season from the kayak. That would make for some interesting if toxin-laden dinners. And some of those things have sea lion herpes.

Sealion Monkeypox outbreak

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile

To help put your mind at ease, lovers pt. is far away from MBK unless your heading that direction from MBK (say to the red buoy).  There are hundreds of people learning scuba diving every weekend at the Coastguard Pier.  I'd just fish the shallow areas which are good for rockfish and halibut to the right of MBK, where lots of people also dive.  Post a hookup, see if you can get someone to join you with a shark shield and tag along with them.

Fish Master1

• If it bleeds I can kill it.
  • Manatee
  • A-Hull Muggle
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
BEST WAY TO TELL IF THERES A GWS AROUND IS STICK YOUR FINGER IN THE WATER. IF ITS SALTY THERES A SHARK AROUND.
..........Sincerly A-Hull Muggle.

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
That's why Andy fishes off boats now  :smt044

Fishcomb

• Sea Lion
  • Banted by Moderators
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2012
BEST WAY TO TELL IF THERES A GWS AROUND IS STICK YOUR FINGER IN THE WATER. IF ITS SALTY THERES A SHARK AROUND.
where else do you stick that finger of yours?

anything