Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:39:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Your favorite pedal kayaks  (Read 2882 times)

jeffw

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
i havent sold out yet but age and lack of fitness are are setting in? there are a lot of different propulsion kayaks on the market now. seal fins/ propeller jobs etc. what do you guys prefer? cant deny that propulsion is way easier for salmon trolling which is my main game. all about covering territory.

please advise,

j
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 01:14:16 PM by Rock Hopper »

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
i havent sold out yet but age and lack of fitness are are setting in? there are a lot of different propulsion kayaks on the market now. seal fins/ propeller jobs etc. what do you guys prefer? cant deny that propulsion is way easier for salmon trolling which is my main game. all about covering territory.

please advise,

j
Re welcome...I'm finding that drifting for salmon works as well though the days can be long...trolling does catch, probably better odds as well but it's a whole different workout from my lazy lengthened days...all I'm sayin' is you don't need to troll to catch salmon... :smt006
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 09:42:00 PM by Eddie »
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Old town PDL drive works very well for me, thugh I consider myself a paddler not pedaler.  Rudder works good too Just ask my Landlord.

bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Revo 13 is my favorite if I had to chose one hobie  :smt006
-Jason

ark

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
For covering distance, I don't think you'll do better than Hobie...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Grim Reefer

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
When I first started looking at pedal kayaks, I was dead set on a Native Slayer propel. I am (was) and avid cyclist and rode 180-200 miles per week so I just knew that the bicycle style would feel natural to me and I pretty much dismissed the Hobies because I didn’t like the ‘stair stepper’ motion.  But being the thorough person I am, I did my due diligence and checked them all out.   I pedaled the Slayer, spent a lot of time in an old town pdl and then rented a couple hobies for a day before I finally bought.  I am sure glad I tried them all.  In my opinion, there is no comparison in speed and efficiency between a bicycle style and the Hobies. I was in great shape back then but the bicycle style drives tired me way faster than the Hobies.  The propeller drives of the bicycle style feel like you are pedaling a bike through mud.  There is an unnatural pause at the bottom of the pedal stroke probably due to the resistance of the water on the prop.  It is not like pedaling a bike at all.  Another thing I noticed is that you can glide in the Hobie.  The fins don’t provide much resistance to the glide where the prop almost acts like a brake when you stop pedaling.  After long days in both types I was always more tired in the bicycle style than the Hobie.  Obviously you can see where I stand but I would recommend you do the same thing I did.  Do a bit of driving and try as many as you can.  I’m sure that there are people on here that would be more than happy to meet you out for some fishing and let you take theirs for a spin.  If you are ever in the Fresno area, I never need much of an excuse to make a run up to shaver for some Kokanee.  Just my 2cents.   

charles

• Salmon
  • turn em. pedals mtb or ocean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Right about the pedal driven prop vs Hobie push push pedal system. The only bike pedal system I am now interested in is the one Rick Willoughby, an Australian engineer, developed for fast pedaling kayaks and they are fast. It consists of a right angle drive, clip in pedals , and a flexible cable drive that goes off the side of the craft with prop on the end. Prop seeks it's own depth under propulsion so nothing under water like a shaft to cause drag. If you google his name you will find all the info you need to build the system. His hulls are very narrow and long with out riggers for support. One of his "kayaks" held the record of 245 kilometers in 24 hours on , I believe a northwest or Canadian lake but was surpassed by a surfski a year or two later.
Charles

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
When I first started looking at pedal kayaks, I was dead set on a Native Slayer propel. I am (was) and avid cyclist and rode 180-200 miles per week so I just knew that the bicycle style would feel natural to me and I pretty much dismissed the Hobies because I didn’t like the ‘stair stepper’ motion.  But being the thorough person I am, I did my due diligence and checked them all out.   I pedaled the Slayer, spent a lot of time in an old town pdl and then rented a couple hobies for a day before I finally bought.  I am sure glad I tried them all.  In my opinion, there is no comparison in speed and efficiency between a bicycle style and the Hobies. I was in great shape back then but the bicycle style drives tired me way faster than the Hobies.  The propeller drives of the bicycle style feel like you are pedaling a bike through mud.  There is an unnatural pause at the bottom of the pedal stroke probably due to the resistance of the water on the prop.  It is not like pedaling a bike at all.  Another thing I noticed is that you can glide in the Hobie.  The fins don’t provide much resistance to the glide where the prop almost acts like a brake when you stop pedaling.  After long days in both types I was always more tired in the bicycle style than the Hobie.  Obviously you can see where I stand but I would recommend you do the same thing I did.  Do a bit of driving and try as many as you can.  I’m sure that there are people on here that would be more than happy to meet you out for some fishing and let you take theirs for a spin.  If you are ever in the Fresno area, I never need much of an excuse to make a run up to shaver for some Kokanee.  Just my 2cents.   

I have a very similar story - used to ride more than 100 miles/week through the Oakland hills and beyond.  Thought for sure that a cycling motion with propeller would be best for me, but everyone talks so much about the Hobie drive I figured there was definitely a reason for it.  I didn't buy a Hobie, but a Pelican (Hobie clone - I'm broke, haha).  Very happy with the motion. 

I think seating position, immersion gear, and general nature of where we fish makes a Hobie type drive better.  Maybe calmer, warmer places a prop drive might work better?  Thinking back bay fishing in the gulf or inland lakes. 
- Kevin

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

---- Edit: Added more content -----

2019+ Hobie Outback if you want stability and space.  2015+ Hobie Revo 13 if you want lighter kayak and faster (compared to the Outback), but it has limited space (which in my opinion is good so you only bring only what you need).  Revo16 for super speed.  Speed is good to outrun incoming weather or just leisurely trolling for salmon.  Speed is related to hull design, so choose wisely.
Alternatively, you can hang a motor on the side on the outback like I did (see the Hobie section for motor mount installation).

« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 10:04:21 AM by yakyakyak »
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
A suggestion, JeffW: change the title of your post to "Your favorite pedal kayaks."

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
A suggestion, JeffW: change the title of your post to "Your favorite pedal kayaks."
:smt044 :smt044

my vote is Revo 13 for trolling/long days  compass for more stability and room
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

bogueYaker

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2020
Revo 16/Adventure w/ sailing rudder for trolling & covering ground. Revo 13 w/ sailing rudder for vertical jigging.

MavYak

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6RCLnTyEgP5ek42WUVgs5g
  • Date Registered: Aug 2022
used both propel systems.
only advantage I see with prop style is instant reverse.

I like the Hobie pedal system, less tiring. Sold an Outback, now have PA14-360.
Me being 6-2" & 220-lbs, Went for more payload capacity, stability. Occasionally my big Labrador goes along too, sitting in back cargo area.
Tradeoff is heavier weight PA, 40-lbs more than Outback so not as ez to paddle out thru surf.
will motorize this beast soon.
In pursuit of chrome, scales, fur and Titleists.
Crafts of the past: 14' Gregor, 16' Alumaweld drift boat, BW17' Montauk, 24' GradyWhite Fisherman, 18' Ranger BB, 22' Alumaweld Super Vee

SlackedTide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
2014 Hobie Revo 13
2011 Hobie Outback - bye bye
1997 Tracker 17 Deep V<--- Money Pit

When you look outside the window, and all you see is fishing. True Story.