Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:22:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:03:21 PM]

[Today at 06:52:32 PM]

[Today at 05:17:28 PM]

[Today at 05:09:26 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Finally feeling more confident in filleting skills thanks to OCL  (Read 1271 times)

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I'm never one to brag about filleting skills, because I don't have them  :smt044  But hey, I can get the job done, but see all these pics of people that are actually proud of their fillet skills and I finally see why.  Thanks to a video by Outdoor Chef Life where he was teaching a group of people how to fillet pacific halibut his instructions made too much sense to me.  I had a bit of fish to practice on recently  :smt004 But this time it really came together for me and I just didn't make as many mistakes.  In the video he shows his technique of breaking down each cut by a specific purpose, and what I didn't realize until today which direction mattered a lot.  It was finally a time when I slide the edge of my inexpensive chefs knife and done correctly, felt like no resistance at all, yet smoothly cutting along the bones and having very little waste.  Been doing this now for quite a few years, but really this was the first time it didn't feel like a chore and felt so nice and clean and came out great. 

By the way, I also learned that you can still be stung by a wasp after it's died in your cooler and you pull a fish out of it. :smt012
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 02:14:56 PM by AlsHobieOutback »
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
Taku definitely has crazy knife skills...as good as they come. He was a sushi chef before becoming OCL youtube sensation.
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Yes, I love this attempt at filleting mastery.  I finally sharpened my knives and they are super ready for this.  I’m going to attempt to fillet the salmon by his Japanese style for salmon.  Thanks for posting the translucent skeletal trophy of a joerb well done… :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

Otis

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2021
Outstanding fillet! That fillet is as good as any I have seen Taku do on his YT channel.

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
It's the very small pile of scrap I'm surprisingly most proud of.  But thank you!  Would you like some Halibut?  :smt005

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Yes, I love this attempt at filleting mastery.  I finally sharpened my knives and they are super ready for this.  I’m going to attempt to fillet the salmon by his Japanese style for salmon.  Thanks for posting the translucent skeletal trophy of a joerb well done… :smt006
I just bought a wetstone and am going to try and resurrect my Wusthof chefs knife tonight  :smt044  Look forward to seeing your salmon if you share it!  Especially after you ikijimi'd it!

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I like my knives to be sharp when I'm processing fish and game.  Here are pictures of a kitchen knife sharpening jig I made for use with Lansky diamond hones.  The advantage of this jig over the Lansky knife holder/sharpening guide is that my jig allows me to keep the hones at right angles to the edge of the knife blade for the entire length of the edge.  The problem with the Lansky knife holder/sharpening guide is that it produces a much lower bevel angle at the base and tip of the edge than it does at the point where the guide is clamped to the knife, as shown in the last picture below.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I just bought a wetstone and am going to try and resurrect my Wusthof chefs knife tonight  :smt044  Look forward to seeing your salmon if you share it!  Especially after you ikijimi'd it!
Brah!  I massacred it..way out of practice...knife was good sharp though.  I love my 1000 grit whetstone.  After all my research that's the only one I need... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Hah, well I'm sure it was a tasty massacre either way  :smt044  I got a combo 600/1000 but lots of videos seem to use a much higher like 3000 or 6000?  Going to try sharpening tonight, ended up having to deliver a bunch of halibut to a friend last night  :smt005

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Et me know if you want more practice with the fillet skill  :smt003
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hah, well I'm sure it was a tasty massacre either way  :smt044  I got a combo 600/1000 but lots of videos seem to use a much higher like 3000 or 6000?  Going to try sharpening tonight, ended up having to deliver a bunch of halibut to a friend last night  :smt005
The 600 side might be rare for sharpening unless the knife has been neglected like mine but I just spent more time on the 1000.  Not sure the 3 or 6000 is needed for what I do, I do “strop” the finish on the same stone, might build a leather block though… :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Yeah, this knife was neglected for several years, but it was a gift and it's good steel so hoping to restore it.  If not, i'm in the market to buy a nice chefs knife, although the cheap one I got is doing a good job so far.

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
nice filet work!

yah, I love to listen to the tick tick tick as Taku filets a fish....and am always happy when I (occasionally) hear that sound when I'm fileting.

Code3

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
Now that’s nice work Al!  👏🏻.  I too like keeping my knives sharp and always making sure the knife onboard is going to slit the gills quickly when bleeding out my fish 🤙.
We're gonna need a bigger boat!

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
I used to just rip the gills with my fingers, at least for halibut (not lingcod) but since this post: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=98042.0 I've been carrying some Fiskars sheers with me on each outing.  One snip and all the gills on one side are gushing blood with no effort and no chance of slicing my self in the process.  Totally recommend some otw scissors!

anything