Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:26:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:39:34 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Waterproof phone cases  (Read 3614 times)

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Neat!  Never heard of that site before, but will be using it now!  Ty!
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Yakkin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Definitely protect the charger/headphone port.  My iPhone started having issues with intermittent unrecognized accessory.  Question:  does touch screen work properly when the phone is wet?  I use a plastic phone pouch.  Touch screen is unusable after 2-3 hours due to moisture build up.

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
I watch a few vlogs of people that live on sailboats.  Even not dunking their phones in the water, they have corrosion issues on their plugs and cables all the time.  I just cant bring myself to allow salt water to touch my phone for fear of it being ruined.  However I concede that I don't need it to be totally waterproof like the pouch does, and a glass lens should make pictures look better then the pouch .  With the pouch if the screen is wet it's unable to read my finger so I always have to wipe it off first.  I carry a small fish towel on the left side of my PFD though, so not an issue. 

Sakana Seeker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
I’ve used a cheap waterproof pouch for several years now (like this one: UNBREAKcable Waterproof Pouch Pouch 2 Packs [Up to 7"]- IPX8 Waterproof Phone Case Dry Bag for Swimming, for iPhone 13 13 Pro Max 12 11 XR XS, SE 2022, SE2020, Samsung S22 S22+ S21 FE, Google-Clear https://a.co/d/82C0JzF) but it’s had issues recognizing my faceID, takes blurry pictures, and also behaves weird during phone calls.

I also prefer complete waterproof and I also like having my phone attached to me as a last resort backup communication device (I also have radio and PLB attached to my PFD).

Therefore, I recently got a new Pelican waterproof pouch. The vinyl seems thicker and higher quality. I haven’t used it otw yet, but faceID works as usual and pictures look good, on land, at least. Will report back after a few otw trips with it.

Marine Series – IP68 Waterproof Floating Protection Phone Pouch (Regular Size) - for iPhone 13 12 11 Pro Max Mini with Detachable Lanyard – Universal Compatibility - Black/Hi-Vis Yellow https://a.co/d/chqwAWS
IG: @sakana_seeker

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
So I’m swimming sometimes literally w phone in hand when it’s mayhem and no time to stuff it in my wetsuit

I’ve tried different waterproof cases and none of them worked well for touch screen. Wet touchscreen on iPhones is problematic but still works better than wet a waterproof case

iPhones still need some work as far as how they behave when wet but they’re better than a few years ago

Duck tape works but I’ll be trying some different things in near future

Otis

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2021
So I’m swimming sometimes literally w phone in hand when it’s mayhem and no time to stuff it in my wetsuit

I like to take my cellphone with me when I am spelunking. Never know when I’ll be 1/ 2 mile underground and a hot chick swipes right on my Tinder profile.

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
I’ve used a cheap waterproof pouch for several years now (like this one: UNBREAKcable Waterproof Pouch Pouch 2 Packs [Up to 7"]- IPX8 Waterproof Phone Case Dry Bag for Swimming, for iPhone 13 13 Pro Max 12 11 XR XS, SE 2022, SE2020, Samsung S22 S22+ S21 FE, Google-Clear https://a.co/d/82C0JzF) but it’s had issues recognizing my faceID, takes blurry pictures, and also behaves weird during phone calls.

I also prefer complete waterproof and I also like having my phone attached to me as a last resort backup communication device (I also have radio and PLB attached to my PFD).

Therefore, I recently got a new Pelican waterproof pouch. The vinyl seems thicker and higher quality. I haven’t used it otw yet, but faceID works as usual and pictures look good, on land, at least. Will report back after a few otw trips with it.

Marine Series – IP68 Waterproof Floating Protection Phone Pouch (Regular Size) - for iPhone 13 12 11 Pro Max Mini with Detachable Lanyard – Universal Compatibility - Black/Hi-Vis Yellow https://a.co/d/chqwAWS

Hum, that does look like a great option and inexpensive.  I didn't see a nicer looking pouch with a good window like that searching with my phone model but Ill search further and see what I can find. Thanks! 

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile

I’ve tried different waterproof cases and none of them worked well for touch screen. Wet touchscreen on iPhones is problematic but still works better than wet a waterproof case

iPhones still need some work as far as how they behave when wet but they’re better than a few years ago

Duck tape works but I’ll be trying some different things in near future
The only thing that helps me is using the side buttons on my Samsung to take the pictures if my phone is wet.  Did Apple ditch buttons on the iPhone?   

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
FWIW i throw my samsung in my cycling jersey back pocket 3-4 days a week for 2-6 hour riders and sweat all over the thing.  i don't cover the ports, nothing.  On my older phones they'd last 1-2 years before they'd be so damaged they would fail.  Since the two releases i haven't had any issues. sure the ports get wet, but with the hydrophobic coating once that dries its fine- no build up on the ports.

I can't think of a harder life than that...

Otis

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2021
The only thing that helps me is using the side buttons on my Samsung to take the pictures if my phone is wet.  Did Apple ditch buttons on the iPhone?   

I have been thinking about your cellphone case quandary. If it were me, I would bite the bullet and get myself a GoPro and keep my cellphone safe in the plastic bag. Besides, if you had a GoPro you would prob do more vids. I’d watch ‘em … maybe.  :smt003

My thinking is a cellphone is actually a pocket computer with a radio-phone app built in. It is not really intended for aquatic exposure. I think I would use the right equipment for the task. In the grand scheme of kayak fishing costs a GoPro is cheap. Btw, this piece of wisdom is coming from someone that does not have a cellphone.

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Hah!  Well I appreciate your input anyway, person who lives in the 90's.  :smt044  Specifically I wanted to do better live reports otw, which a GoPro I don't think would be easy to do with, even if I found a good techie way to interface it with my phone.  I do have a small GoPro and have thought of buying a better one and maybe doing some videos again.  Thing is people are already so much better at making them, and my past videos only get a few hundred views but feel free to watch them  :smt044 

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2022
Hi all,
just adding 2Cents..... just ruined my $600 phone in a yard sale at bolinas two months ago.... it was in a bag, and in my waterproof (hah) compartment in my old town pedal drive..... first thing I checked after gathering my stuff only to find it completely in a bag of water... it was pretty new (phone and bag).  This got me thinking.
I found a relatively cheap tab/phone (i think under $150) which I have in a bag (hopefully better bag) which I use as an emergency phone (only my wife has the number) and for navigation which I also stowe when launching and landing in a waterproof tackle tray.... that way if it happens again it has a better chance of surviving and it is so rough it still gets ruined it is only $150 vs $600 or more.  I also have some rudimentary navigation should the fog overtake me when out in the blue.

Kind of a pain but sorta works.

Troy

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I’m actually surprised I haven’t totally lost a phone yet. I have dropped it in water multiple times but it’s been shallow and I’ve been able to recover it.

I liked the idea of a wrist strap/floaty so I ordered one of these. I figure it can be my fishing phone case and I can use my smaller case for everyday.
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Al the iPhone still has side buttons and they get used, but the touch screen works alright even when wet The problems are w water on the screen the camera does all kinds of things I don’t want it to like switching modes or zoom while I’m shooting video or just shutting down

I had the same problems using waterproof cases and sometimes couldn’t get the phone to cooperate at all

None of the above should be a problem if you’re using the phone above water, seems like you mainly need the leash And rinse in fresh water after the charging port especially if you don’t tape it

Apple should hire me as product tester, I’ve been putting iphones through the saltwater crucible for a few years now and could suggest a few improvements for watersports

My son wanted me to get set up with one of the pro cameras and water cases and we researched all that but really the phone cameras are getting better every year and when I need to swim I can just stuff the thing in my wetsuit and go

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
... In the grand scheme of kayak fishing costs a GoPro is cheap. ...

If you decide to get a GoPro-like camera, I would advise against an actual GoPro. Sometime, I'll start a thread about all the things that I hate about my GoPro (Hero 7, black).
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...