Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:18:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:09:46 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Waterproof phone cases  (Read 3627 times)

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Since I've been posting pics using my Android phone in a bag/pouch to keep it safe on the water I've had a few people say they are fuzzy or my lens is dirty, etc. My live reports suck and hoping to make them better.  These are what i'm using and they definitely are a cheap effective option.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C214PSZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

What do you use for your phone to keep it safe on the water?  I have to protect it, as if anything happens to it I have to immediately replace it for work.  I have a Samsung S10, but am also considering upgrading.  Not going to use an iPhone but welcome suggestions there too. 
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 07:46:22 AM by AlsHobieOutback »
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Check and see if Bodyglove makes a waterproof case for your phone. I’m using one on my iPhone it’s small and has a lanyard attachment point which is important in order to attach to my PFD.
2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2021
Since I've been posting pics using my Android phone in a bag/pouch to keep it safe on the water I've had a few people say they are fuzzy or my lens is dirty, etc. My live reports suck and hoping to make them better.  These are what i'm using and they definitely are a cheap effective option.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C214PSZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

What do you use for your phone to keep it safe on the water?  I have to protect it, as if anything happens to it I have to immediately replace it for work.  I have a Samsung S10, but am also considering upgrading.  Not going to use an iPhone but welcome suggestions there too.

I've been using a different brand of that same case, purchased at MBK last year during the tournament.  Works 'ok', though as you say, pictures are cloudy.  I know some folks just put a leash on the phone, no case. I've not found a good solution yet.  it would be great to have a bluetooth, waterproof, floating, remote camera...that would work with the phones - so you could snap and send from the cheaper remote, and keep the phone locked away below deck.

Corey

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
I use this case (see below) and use these floating, bright colored wrist strap lanyards. It’s a great combo. It floats, is highly visible, and I’ve taken 100s of photos with it without hurting photo quality.

This after donating one phone to Berryessa and another to Bolinas.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 11:34:09 AM by Corey »

Otis

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2021
Some smartphones, especially newer ones, are rated a minimum IP 67, meaning water resistance for temporary submersion up to 1 meter. Depending on your phone’s make/model you may not need a case, only a float like Corey suggests above.  You need the second IP digit to be 7, 8 or 9 for your phone to ok in water without a case.

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
yah, i think they're water rated, but worry about the effect of the saltwater on the charging port

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
just a floaty case for me, and a rinse with fresh water at the end of the day (if i remember).  Phone is already "waterproof"  - samsung s21

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Al

The surf clips Im taking are on the iPhone in a non-waterproof case made by Lander that you can get at REI. I’m swimming anywhere from 2-8 hours with it

Most phones are partly waterproof The secret is duck tape in a few key places like over the charging port. And I pay for good insurance

The main thing about that case is the leash, and I clip a silicone ring on the end of it to put on my wrist. Also it’s a tight fit for when I’m getting slammed by big surf or surfers who aren’t so good at steering, dont want the phone to pop out of the case

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Al

The surf clips Im taking are on the iPhone in a non-waterproof case made by Lander that you can get at REI. I’m swimming anywhere from 2-8 hours with it

Most phones are partly waterproof The secret is duck tape in a few key places like over the charging port. And I pay for good insurance

The main thing about that case is the leash, and I clip a silicone ring on the end of it to put on my wrist. Also it’s a tight fit for when I’m getting slammed by big surf or surfers who aren’t so good at steering, dont want the phone to pop out of the case

I use that case too. On my AI, I've got a holder the phone case fits into, and the leash is attached to a leash on the kayak. I use Gaia GPS on the water, and take still photos with my iPhone. It seems to work well.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
The case is the Lander Torrey, only place I’ve seen them is REI

+ one of these which REI used to carry but now I get direct from the company

https://niteize.com/key-band-it-stretch-wristband

Pretty sure your phone doesn’t need to be absolutely waterproof, w just the duck tape on the port mine gets a lot water time

This video will give you some idea

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Video quality looks like crap, it’s filmed in 4k 60 fps but somehow when I have it on Vimeo doesn’t come back so good

bbt95762

• Sea Lion
  • fresh and saltwater
  • View Profile
The case is the Lander Torrey, only place I’ve seen them is REI

+ one of these which REI used to carry but now I get direct from the company

https://niteize.com/key-band-it-stretch-wristband

Pretty sure your phone doesn’t need to be absolutely waterproof, w just the duck tape on the port mine gets a lot water time

This video will give you some idea

good advice about the duct tape, I'll need to do that - thanks!

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
Thanks for the replies!  I dig it, fully water proof may not be necessary in this case, but it's been my mind set for so long.  I think I'm going to get a decent case that has a attachment point and see how it works, and not worry if it's waterproof.  I'll also start saving to upgrade my phone, so I can have this one as a spare in case something happens.  Will update this thread with whatever I end up trying out. 

AlsHobieOutback

• Administrator
  • View Profile
I use this case (see below) and use these floating, bright colored wrist strap lanyards. It’s a great combo. It floats, is highly visible, and I’ve taken 100s of photos with it without hurting photo quality.

This after donating one phone to Berryessa no one to Bolinas.
They have this for all the sizes of S10 but the one I have unfortunately.  It does look like a good case, great reviews!  https://www.amazon.com/Temdan-Protector-Wireless-Dropproof-Fingerprint/dp/B07MZHZYZN/ref=sr_1_1?crid=27JP94Q108XSU&keywords=samsung%2Bgalaxy%2Bs10%2Bcase%2Btemdan&qid=1659464893&sprefix=samsung%2Bgalaxy%2Bs10%2Bcase%2Btemdan%2Caps%2C178&sr=8-1&th=1

Going to give this one a try: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0827PCVLH/ref=crt_ewc_title_srh_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3GY2C8CM2LKZA&th=1

anything