Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:26:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:58:19 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:10 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: looking for the best fish finder chartplotter  (Read 3483 times)

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2022
Hi everyone,
I have a garmin striker 4 plus and love it but..... Went out with others salmon fishing in a fog and did not feel comfortable not knowing where I am..... the others all had chart plotters and knew where we were and I was good (as long as I did not loose them) but figured I need to know where I am if I were to be lost in a fog.   I do have a compass and felt that should I get lost I could always follow a heading to get back (maybe) anyhow looking for a good less expensive and small to an extent ff and chart plotter.

So any recs?
Thanks
 Troy

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2020
Hi Troy,
  I have a Garmin striker 4 CV.  It's under $200 and maps the ocean floor as you go, but starts blank. It cant transfer the info to another FF, I think there are more expensive models that do.  The linked one is a new "vivid" version that is the same price and seems to improve the Clear view setting. I like the one I have and would recommend it.

-nick

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Striker-Vivid-4cv-010-02550-00/dp/B08WJT573D/ref=asc_df_B08WJT573D/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=509414665398&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2524832979102912981&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031924&hvtargid=pla-1219997475301&psc=1
Slate Hobie Compass

2023 MBK 1st place

jp52

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2017
A lot of people like the Humminbird and Lowrance finders. A search will turn up a lot of discussions. Here is a link to a comparison between Humminbird and Raymarine I wrote a while back:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=94664.msg1065938#msg1065938

I also suggest you use a mapping app on your phone. I use Gaia GPS and it works great. I always turn it on as a backup and then keep all the tracks for all of my trips.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I use Gaia GPS and it works great. I always turn it on as a backup and then keep all the tracks for all of my trips.

I also use Gaia GPS and it works well--I use it on land a lot too. I have a basic FF, so it's got no navigation info Of course, I carry a compass (actually, 2 compasses). It probably is a good idea to have navigation info on your FF too.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

CrRusty

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2022
+1 on the navigation phone app. I’ve been using the navonics boating app alongside my compass and FF. It was $25 for the annual subscription and it will give you position, bearing, speed, charts, etc. I don’t leave it running because it drains my phone battery quicker than normal, but I do open it up when I need to touch base.

sandwg

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018

I have a garmin striker 4 plus and love it but..... Went out with others salmon fishing in a fog and did not feel comfortable not knowing where I am..... the others all had chart plotters and knew where we were and I was good (as long as I did not loose them) but figured I need to know where I am if I were to be lost in a fog.   I do have a compass and felt that should I get lost I could always follow a heading to get back (maybe) anyhow looking for a good less expensive and small to an extent ff and chart plotter.

The Garmin Striker 4 Plus has gps, can log waypoints, tracks and has goto / backtrack features.  Are you saying you have a compass in case your Garmin fails?
TRS-80
Apple II
IBM AT
IBM XT
etc, etc...
Stealth Fusion / Hobie Revo 13 / NuCanoe Flint  (yeah my wife is a bit peeved)

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2022
yes the compass for backup.  I know I can set waypoints but thinking that having a gps with the maps would at least seem more safe as you can see where land is not just a little dot on the small screen.... but I honestly do not know what I am talking about as I have not learned the mapping and way points on mine..... should probably try it first and then decide if it is good enough for me..... guess getting back to a way point for the launch is good enough so got some learning to do with it.

Thanks

Troy

sandwg

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Ah, I see.  I was wondering if maybe your Striker was broken!  I'd say, get a phone app as the additional backup!  Compass, GPS in fish finder and phone is a lot of redundancy.   In fact, google maps works fine.  :)   
TRS-80
Apple II
IBM AT
IBM XT
etc, etc...

mike1494

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2022
I just got a Lowrance Hook2 7" GPS chart plotter at Walmart for $99 dollars.  This is a great deal for a cheap FF and the delivery was fast.  Now its on my Yak and ready to fish this Sunday in Halfmoon Bay.

christianbrat

• "Top 3 Spot Burner" according to Nick Fish
  • Sea Lion
  • Christian
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2019
For Garmin here is the breakdown

Striker: Fishfinder and GPS, Not a Chart Plotter (No Maps on any Striker model, plus models can do Contour mapping, but this is NOT the same as a navigation map)
Echomap: Fishfinder and GPS WITH Cartplotter function. (Navigation maps)
GPSMap: Fishfinder, GPS, and Charting Capability, and ability to take additional inputs like radar, and make additional outputs in nmea for autopilot systems and other advanced controls.

If you want to stay with Garmin, echomap is the series to look at.
Current Fleet
- 1989 Arima Sea Explorer w/ custom Pilot House
- 2018 Hobie Revolution 13

Historical Fleet
- 1985 Hobie PowerSkiff 15'
- 1975 Valco U-14
- 2009 Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT

bdon

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
There are apps for phones that will track you too.  It’s good to have both a GPS fish finder and app on phone.

I use iNavX but there are many others.

I have a Humminbird but really dislike the plug connections

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
In dense fog sometimes your GPS wont update fast enough for you to track in a straight line if your using it to navigate.  I've gone in a complete circle before trying to use it.  Then a compass is a lot easier to stick to a specific heading, but you still have to know what that is.  Getting lost in the fog is pretty easy
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
In dense fog sometimes your GPS wont update fast enough for you to track in a straight line if your using it to navigate.  I've gone in a complete circle before trying to use it.  Then a compass is a lot easier to stick to a specific heading, but you still have to know what that is.  Getting lost in the fog is pretty easy

Good point, btdt. A deck mounted analog compass is preferred, but a small handheld type can do the job when necessary.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

sandwg

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Good point Als.  Yeah, I do carry all 3.  GPS on fish finder, phone with mapping software (Navionics) and compass.  When I know where I want to go, I just put the compass on my lap and paddle / pedal depending on the boat. 
TRS-80
Apple II
IBM AT
IBM XT
etc, etc...

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
-Jason