Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:04:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:31:56 PM]

[Today at 04:31:01 PM]

by &
[Today at 04:22:40 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Come kayak surf LM  (Read 4125 times)

chopper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2012
I am not a fan of leashes on the kayak - the way you flipped and rolled you very likely would have come up tangled in the leash. Make things float and collect them after a yard sale. My $0.02.

Cheers,
Brad

CoolioFish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2021
I was in the breakers zone because that’s how you practice handling the kayak in the breakers. I didn’t realize I forgot my PFD until I flipped over. I took my paddle leash off when I launched because it was more convenient, but in retrospect it would have helped me (the kayak was swept ashore, and I would have been pulled with it).
It made me think of a strong anchoring point for the leash in a situation like this. What do folks use?

I would think going in and out through the breakers would be better practice since it's more reflective of what actually happens during launches/landings, instead of just hanging around the breaker zone....But that's just me.

This could've been a much worse and hope you have enough sense of your surroundings and the people around you so you don't kill anyone or yourself the next time around

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

All the folks here meant well and I really do appreciate the sharing, the good intention is well received.  The video is awesome and plenty to learn from, albeit at li-orca's expense.  Hope you get what you after and be better because of it.
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

li-orca

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2019

All the folks here meant well and I really do appreciate the sharing, the good intention is well received.  The video is awesome and plenty to learn from, albeit at li-orca's expense.  Hope you get what you after and be better because of it.

Internalizing the moments of that experience, what it feels to have the waves pound at you, it all adds up to building a stronger and a hopefully safer kayaker :-)
Still working on the video.
Luck favors the prepared

2019 Revo 16

dtizz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
Seems like all parts of that are a bad idea. Having a big kayak in and around surfers, hanging out in the surf zone instead of practicing paddling hard through waves and bracing, no PFD, thinking about being leashed to the kayak, etc. Leashing when offshore and you can't be separated from the boat and/or paddle maybe, but leashes where waves are breaking on rocks or into shallow water can be a recipe for disaster.

Thanks for sharing and please take everyone's comments with the safety advice they are intended. Always good to have these kinds of conversations on here.

Bulldog---Alex

• Sea Lion
  • 27.4 lb Cali Hali
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
For some reason i keep hearing Hawaii 5.0. music. Nothing like being young and fearless. Understand peoples concerns but we have all been their one way or another.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2022, 09:36:02 AM by Bulldog---Alex »
Enjoying the fam
PA14
Revo 13
Hobie Outback

fishbushing

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
but in retrospect it would have helped me (the kayak was swept ashore, and I would have been pulled with it).
It made me think of a strong anchoring point for the leash in a situation like this. What do folks use?

Depending on the forces of the waves it could be dangerous to get pulled with your kayak. Watch Rokitt who got his shoulder dislocated video.
-Jason

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I was in the breakers zone because that’s how you practice handling the kayak in the breakers. I didn’t realize I forgot my PFD until I flipped over. I took my paddle leash off when I launched because it was more convenient, but in retrospect it would have helped me (the kayak was swept ashore, and I would have been pulled with it).
I am not a fan of leashes on the kayak - the way you flipped and rolled you very likely would have come up tangled in the leash. Make things float and collect them after a yard sale. My $0.02.

Cheers,
Brad

I use only one leash and that is for my paddle.  However, I do not kept it attached during launching and landing.  But once I'm safely through the surf zone, I connect it as soon as possible.  That way I do have a tether to my yak and if your holding your paddle, you will rarely let go of it even when you flip.  But having it attached during the launching and landings can be a hazard to you for the same reason, as you get dragged by your kayak holding your paddle, or have it recoil and come back at you. I also like to drop it in the water and not worry that it's going to float away when I hook into a fish.
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Cheers,
Brad

I use only one leash and that is for my paddle.  However, I do not kept it attached during launching and landing.  But once I'm safely through the surf zone, I connect it as soon as possible.  That way I do have a tether to my yak and if your holding your paddle, you will rarely let go of it even when you flip.  But having it attached during the launching and landings can be a hazard to you for the same reason, as you get dragged by your kayak holding your paddle, or have it recoil and come back at you. I also like to drop it in the water and not worry that it's going to float away when I hook into a fish.

Another vote for unleashed paddle on the surf.  Although I did have to swim for the paddle once after a failed (and aborted) launch.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 08:52:06 PM by yakyakyak »
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

fishemotion

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
I use this: https://www.rei.com/product/883307/sea-to-summit-paddle-keeper

Find that it works mostly well in right balance of length, stretch, material. Once wrapped around my neck while underwater in the surf but was able to untangle. It does have a velcro attach point that may possibly release under high opposing force.

Usually I try to toss the paddle away if I'm about to eject.

It can be convenient to not go after both paddle and kayak while self rescuing and continuing to head out. Probably gotta remember to unleash on re-entry tho.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
The ones that I have (which I forget the name/brand, but will find an example) has a Velcro wrap to attach to the paddle but has a quick release clip, like on my PFD, so I can with one hand release it.  This is how I launch and land just letting the leash stay attached to my kayak and then quickly re-connected after.

EDIT:

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/PROYAKER-Accessories-Universal-Paddle-Fishing/dp/B012H6AW5W/ref=asc_df_B012H6AW5W/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312131236011&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3478173012745476523&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014226&hvtargid=pla-567961304142&psc=1
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 07:24:05 PM by AlsHobieOutback »
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

tehpenguins

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
Man, winter has been really long this time huh?
- Shane

2015 Papaya Hobie Revolution 13
2014 Hibiscus Revolution 13
2011 Blue F150 with Camper Shell

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
There are always a lot of variables in the surf zone. I've done no leash and gotten into a bit of a pickle outside the main line up when I got hit with the peak set wave and it took my yak in without me (pfd was a literal lifesaver that day). I've also used a leash when there are gobs of looky loos on the beach (especially little kinds with inattentive parents). There are trade offs with either one and what to do varies in almost every situation I find.

so these days I carry a leash for the paddle but rarely use it unless caught offshore in escalating wind. For a surf launch/recovery/landing I stow everything and rely on a paddle brace if things go sideways (literally). This is generally a low brace, but I've used a high brace when the wave face was taller. This is at places on the North Coast, Pigeon, Pistachio, Bean etc.
If it really hits the fan, I'll bail out as close to the beach as I can and just hope the folks on the sand are keeping an eye out.
I tried surfing LM years ago in a 14' river SIK kayak and spent most of the time pumping out the cockpit since the spray deck I had was for touring, not surfing  :smt005
It's always good to learn new things :smt002 Taking a specific surf zone course with a paddle shop is always a good idea too.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2018
where's that gopro footage?  :smt003
2015 Hobie Revo 13
2017 Hobie i12s
Stealth Fisha 460

UpTheCreek

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2020
This is a skill I always say I will make time to practice (on a non-fishing day) but never do. Good for you!
Matthew
San Francisco, CA

Stealth Fisha 555
Hobie Compass (seagrass)
LIVE Watersports L4 Expedition w/ 2.5 HP outboard (green hull, white deck)