Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:05:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:43:04 PM]

[Today at 12:42:05 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: looking to kayak fish monterey  (Read 1361 times)

essrigr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2023
Hey there everyone, I am looking to kayak fish monterey for some halibut, I have heard a good area is north of san carlos beach.  I am also looking to do some kayak freediving/spearfishing in the monterey/carmel area. I have been in the area for scuba diving but not fishing or spearfishing. If I can get some ideas of some good locations, suggestions and any helpful hints I would really appreciate that. I am also looking for people to go out with, please get in touch if you are interested, good weather is coming up, I want to get out there, thanks everyone, Ron.

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Hey Ron!  I'm still waiting for the weather to warm up personally, but if you see good conditions on a weekend you are more than likely to find other people planning the same.  When the weather has been shitty we are all eagerly looking for the next opportunity  :smt044  You should figure out what that date is and post it with your hookup, and well others may respond as well!

Now you can also search the board for useful tips, especially about halibut fishing locations and the like.  But you seem to already have some inside knowledge from your diver friend and if you run with that you can make a plan.

Most people like to launch at Monterey Bay Kayak Co, (aka MBK) it has a good parking lot and easy stretch of sand wheel your kayak from the lot to the beach and a very easy launch. Can even buy fishing gear at MBK, as well as all the kayaking stuff you could want.

So if you launch at MBK, you can look it up on a chart and then get an idea of where 40' fow is, and try fishing that depth like your friend shot some nice butts.  https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@12&key=yjm~EdazfV hopefully works as a link, also a screen shot I'll attach.  But you can see if you launch at MBK, 40fow and then how far do you think you will travel and get an estimate of your range for fishing might be for a day. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

AlsHobieOutback

• - = Proud Member of Team A-HULLS! = -
  • Administrator
  • "I love it when a plan comes together!"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Just looked up san carlos beach, and that's right next to the harbor.  That area is usually full of people learning to scuba dive, although you can avoid them.  You can also launch at Lovers Point if you like, but I most often launch at MBK personally cause it's easy and i'm usually headed more north when looking for halibut. 
"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."

IG: alshobie

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
My favorite launch spots in MB are MBK and Coast Guard pier (break water).  Post a hook up when you plan to kayak fishing there and I will join if I don't have other engagement planned.   I prefer weekdays due to less crowded and easy parking.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

joksterRob

• Sardine
  • View Profile
Hi Ron!  I'm also looking to get out kayaking, but still deciding on what kayak to buy.  When I figure that out i'll let you know and see if I can join you.

LilBlue

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Like Al said, just waiting for the weather to get better. I'm planning on fishing a little more down in Monterey this year. But Capitola bite should be turning on soon and it will be less pressure this year due to no boat rentals.
-Robert aka "Bubba" - InstaGram: Kirbball3

2nd Place Kayak Connection Derby 2015

Hobie Compass Camo12'
Pescador Pro120 12'

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
My favorite launch spots in MB are MBK and Coast Guard pier (break water).  Post a hook up when you plan to kayak fishing there and I will join if I don't have other engagement planned.   I prefer weekdays due to less crowded and easy parking.

Go with this guy if you want to catch halibut in Monterey...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
But Capitola bite should be turning on soon and it will be less pressure this year due to no boat rentals.

Do you think so? I was thinking that the new-and-unimproved rockfish season would create more pressure on halibut...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

SpeedyStein

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2020
Hey there everyone, I am looking to kayak fish monterey for some halibut, I have heard a good area is north of san carlos beach.  I am also looking to do some kayak freediving/spearfishing in the monterey/carmel area. I have been in the area for scuba diving but not fishing or spearfishing. If I can get some ideas of some good locations, suggestions and any helpful hints I would really appreciate that. I am also looking for people to go out with, please get in touch if you are interested, good weather is coming up, I want to get out there, thanks everyone, Ron.

Hi Ron, welcome!  Lots of good folks here, and lots of knowledge, both in the archives and discussed regularly. 

But Capitola bite should be turning on soon and it will be less pressure this year due to no boat rentals.

Do you think so? I was thinking that the new-and-unimproved rockfish season would create more pressure on halibut...

I think both statements are probably true - folks on the water fishing will specifically target halibut vice rockfish, but with the rental boats out of the equation, there will likely be less total people on the water in that specific area - at least power boats anyway.  I plan to fish that area a few times this year because I think Capitola would make a great spot to take my son out on the ocean in our tandem for the first time - even more stoked for it now that there should be less boats.  Also, it does open for rockfish earlier than the SF zone too, which helps.  Too bad it's not open for rockfish for spring break...
- Kevin

joksterRob

• Sardine
  • View Profile
I've seen quite a few vidoes of people catching halibut in the bay so I'm thinking of heading to Oyster Point to try my luck there.

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Going out with a guide like Adam Helm of MBK will propel your skills and knowledge forward more quickly and safely than any other method, IMO.

Good luck.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

essrigr

• Salmon
  • View Profile
thanks everyone, I am just digesting all the information and will put some plans forwards. I think I will have some questions on some of the replies, will contact with questions, at work today so not a lot of time, thanks guys, Ron.

anything