Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:36:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 11:58:24 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 09:24:28 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:54:38 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 10:40:43 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New Oregon Regs - if you go up there check this out  (Read 1467 times)

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Does the 7-rockfish bag limit in Oregon deter people from paying to fish on charter boats?  Do Oregon rockfish charters charge the same amount as CA rockfish charters?  I know I would personally prefer a 7-fish, year-round fishery vs our current regulations, but I’m wondering if the CA regulations are written primarily to ensure the charter boats don’t suffer financially.  Maybe the Oregon charters rely more on salmon and halibut than CA does…I don’t know, which is why I’m asking the questions.
aMayesing Bros.

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
7 sounds great. Not that I fish much anymore, but I only keep a few RF, mostly verms or big blacks, cabbies when I catch them, and lings.
So to my way of keep, that would be awesome to fish year around. But I know people like to maximize their take, because they do not go often, and that pairs with Chris's question regarding charter boats, and consumers getting the most for their $$.
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I have no idea re costs of charters on Oregon vs California. If it's true that charters dictate seasons for Rec fishermen that seems a lot like the tail wagging the dog.

"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Clayman

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Another question: between the two states, it appears Oregon is much more meticulous with its ground fish regulations, setting sub-limits on many more nearshore species than CA.  This type of meticulous management would lead me to believe the rockfishing in Oregon must be really good, better than that in CA.

But just how good is it?  I've heard about the huge cabezon they have up there.  But I've searched various fishing reports, YouTube vids, etc, and to be honest I haven't found much evidence saying the rockfishing in Oregon is superior to that of NorCal.  This could be attributed to a range of factors: maybe Oregon anglers don't like to report their rockfishing exploits on the Internet, or maybe the nearshore canyons and currents along the NorCal coast grow more and bigger rockfish than Oregon.  Maybe I'm not looking in the right places for these reports.  You guys who've fished rockfish in both Oregon and CA, which state do you believe provides better rockfishing?  Is Oregon's meticulous management providing better fishing than that found in CA?
aMayesing Bros.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Another question: between the two states, it appears Oregon is much more meticulous with its ground fish regulations, setting sub-limits on many more nearshore species than CA.  This type of meticulous management would lead me to believe the rockfishing in Oregon must be really good, better than that in CA.

But just how good is it?  I've heard about the huge cabezon they have up there.  But I've searched various fishing reports, YouTube vids, etc, and to be honest I haven't found much evidence saying the rockfishing in Oregon is superior to that of NorCal.  This could be attributed to a range of factors: maybe Oregon anglers don't like to report their rockfishing exploits on the Internet, or maybe the nearshore canyons and currents along the NorCal coast grow more and bigger rockfish than Oregon.  Maybe I'm not looking in the right places for these reports.  You guys who've fished rockfish in both Oregon and CA, which state do you believe provides better rockfishing?  Is Oregon's meticulous management providing better fishing than that found in CA?

I honestly haven't fished enough in California south of Shelter Cove to really answer this question.  Albion a few times, and I've never fished rockfish south of Albion except for once when I was a kid out of bodega bay.

Brookings and Shelter Cove are fairly comparable in fishing quality and they are both the same distance from my house give or take 15 minutes.  Nothing really compares to the cape.  Port Orford looks really promising but I've only fished it once.  It is next to Cape Blanco, which is even farther west than cape mendocino.  It was hammered pretty hard back in the 70s and 80s by the international commercial fleet before we kicked them out.  It was fantastic when I fished it last year.  SUnset Bay is unimpressive as far as I can tell, but some of the nearby areas look pretty promising although probably heavily fished out of charleston.  Newport and Depoe Bay are fishy but also have a lot of pressure.

But nothing really compares to the cape.  There isn't anything like that south of 49 N as far as I know, although I hear stories in hushed tones about a particular stretch of monterey county coast that shall remain nameless.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Pacific city had awesome cabby fishing 2 years ago when I was up there. Reminded me of the Bean from years past.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Pacific city had awesome cabby fishing 2 years ago when I was up there. Reminded me of the Bean from years past.

The oregon cab fishery is awesome.  ORC is usually won with a 15lbs+ cabby.  6 mos season and 1 fish sublimit helps, they really protect the cabbies there.  From experience:  catch a 10 lbs cab at ORC and release it because you know it won't crack top 5 and if you retain it you are done unless you luck into a monster lingcod.  That's good stuff.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb