Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:14:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:18:36 PM]

[Today at 07:06:57 PM]

[Today at 06:46:00 PM]

[Today at 06:45:26 PM]

[Today at 06:45:01 PM]

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: New Oregon Regs - if you go up there check this out  (Read 1466 times)

Dusty

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

Blue Jeans

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
West marine has the releases on sale for 10 right now.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
All of these changes are good.  I wish halibut fishermen had to carry descenders in case they catch yelloweye bycatch, but all in all these are very good for the fishery AND for fishermen.

Why does it seem like Oregon does everything more or less right and California manages to screw it up more often than not?
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
All of these changes are good.  I wish halibut fishermen had to carry descenders in case they catch yelloweye bycatch, but all in all these are very good for the fishery AND for fishermen.

Why does it seem like Oregon does everything more or less right and California manages to screw it up more often than not?
if california required fishermen to use descenders on RF, don't you think a bunch of fisherman would complain about overregulation and how its a failed liberal state?

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
these seem like good regs.

I feel like mandatory descenders will come to Cali eventually
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

if california required fishermen to use descenders on RF, don't you think a bunch of fisherman would complain about overregulation and how its a failed liberal state?

Probably.  When is the last time that stopped California from overregulating something tho?

Meanwhile those same guys have floated 32 blacks trying to catch a 10 fish RCG limit with a 3 black sublimit.  So the failed liberal state of the People's Republic of California is already overregulating.  At least the seagulls will eat well.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile

Probably.  When is the last time that stopped California from overregulating something tho?

Meanwhile those same guys have floated 32 blacks trying to catch a 10 fish RCG limit with a 3 black sublimit.  So the failed liberal state of the People's Republic of California is already overregulating.  At least the seagulls will eat well.
All I'm saying is that when other states make fairly significant changes in a short time period, its much less magnified as they're smaller and there's less overall impact.  They're seen as being progressive with their rule changes and people like that.  When CA makes changes like increasing lingcod limits to 3 and a shorter minimum size, a significant number of people get pissed off because they think things will end up getting worse.  So our state commission is pretty much in a lose-lose situation no matter what.

In AK they have regulations that change on occasion from week to f'n week - and yet if CA did that people would riot.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
In AK they have regulations that change on occasion from week to f'n week - and yet if CA did that people would riot.

They change from day to day sometimes.  I can remember getting 12 hours notice of a salmon opener on more than one occasion.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile

They change from day to day sometimes.  I can remember getting 12 hours notice of a salmon opener on more than one occasion.
yup, i recall that as well.  here we only really have low flow closures, not based upon some river sonar count.  if CA did that, people would go postal.

and yet, CA fishermen think that CDFW screws everything up and they wish they were like AK.  Regulation is easier in AK - there are more fish per person, because there are less people.

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Sounds to me, that you are trying to start a riot. Relax, in 8 years, you can have the whitehouse back.
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

yup, i recall that as well.  here we only really have low flow closures, not based upon some river sonar count.  if CA did that, people would go postal.

and yet, CA fishermen think that CDFW screws everything up and they wish they were like AK.  Regulation is easier in AK - there are more fish per person, because there are less people.

What is wrong with requiring descenders?  Or with allowing us 5 blacks in the northern and mendocino management areas and 3 down south where the actual problem is?

I asked about mandatory descenders and DFW told me, with a straight face, that they think more fish are descended when it is voluntary than if it were mandatory, and that defining descender is too difficult. 

Wut.

I'm not so sure about regulating like Alaska and we definitely should not regulate like washington because that place is really screwy, but a lower bag limit, year round fishery with reasonable sublimits and mandatory use of descenders sounds pretty darn good to me.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Sounds to me, that you are trying to start a riot. Relax, in 8 years, you can have the whitehouse back.

I don't have a whitehouse.  My house is grey.  Why would I want a white house?  THat's crazy.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile

What is wrong with requiring descenders?  Or with allowing us 5 blacks in the northern and mendocino management areas and 3 down south where the actual problem is?

I asked about mandatory descenders and DFW told me, with a straight face, that they think more fish are descended when it is voluntary than if it were mandatory, and that defining descender is too difficult. 

Wut.

I'm not so sure about regulating like Alaska and we definitely should not regulate like washington because that place is really screwy, but a lower bag limit, year round fishery with reasonable sublimits and mandatory use of descenders sounds pretty darn good to me.
Nothing is wrong with them to me. I love descenders.  I'm just sure that if it was required the crazies would come out of the woodwork against it. 

I'm ambivalent towards a lower overall bag limit if its supported by science.  And i am not a fan of general subspecies limits for more difficult to identify rockfish, as it causes confusion to the fishing population, potentially increasing fines and tickets for "average" fisherpeople out of general misunderstanding of the regs (and identification) rather than via malicious intent.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:06:00 PM by bmb »

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Oregon's 7 bag limit is in order to provide a year round fishery.  Their federal allocation is just like CA and WA, 10 fish.  They choose lower bag limits so that they can have a year round fishery.

Oregon is actually conscious of the identification problems.  nmfs wanted a one blue sumblimit a couple years ago.  Oregon DFW refused and went with three, because they were concerned that misidentification would lead to accidental overlimits.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Nothing is wrong with them to me. I love descenders.  I'm just sure that if it was required the crazies would come out of the woodwork against it. 
And this idea comes from the idea that people bitch and moan every year about a few dollar increase in fishing licenses, when they have no problem dropping $50 in sturgeon bait on a single trip, or spending $200 on a new phenix abyss.  If CA required descenders to be used, those same people would complain that it costs them what, $10, $20, $30 for some sort of required device when they prefer to do their own thing.

anything