Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:29:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:53:15 PM]

[Today at 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[Today at 02:25:47 PM]

[Today at 02:15:59 PM]

[Today at 01:10:11 PM]

[Today at 11:10:06 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bean Hollow - The Destruction 9/20/08  (Read 8234 times)

Sc X factor

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Now that was epic! I am so glad I drove home yesterday and did not get eaten up by the west swell.

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
sweet jesus :smt118

I'm just glad everyone came out of it OK. Way to charge it boyzzzz  :smt002

PAL

• Salmon
  • View Profile Kayak Fish magazine
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
:shock: Strong stuff, and timely.

Sean fed me a great story idea. By that I mean terrible! Where are the Sands of Sorrow? Any beach can be a bastard, but which common (although advanced) launches exact the highest toll? BH and Limekiln leap right to mind. Down south Malibu way, it's definitely County Line. Any more?

And pics, I need pics. Who's got some? I can start with these (sorry guys!):

(These are actually Mill Creek)

And the 'Kiln cooked this Jelly:

« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 07:14:10 PM by PAL »
Read about kayak fishing: www.KayakFishMag.com

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
:shock: Strong stuff, and timely.

Sean fed me a great story idea. By that I mean terrible! Where are the Sands of Sorrow? Any beach can be a bastard, but which common (although advanced) launches exact the highest toll? BH and Limekiln leap right to mind. Down south Malibu way, it's definitely County Line. Any more?

And pics, I need pics. Who's got some? I can start with these (sorry guys!):

(These are actually Mill Creek)

And the 'Kiln cooked this Jelly:

PAL, Here's a post that I started a while back....

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,5492.0.html

Melissa

• Sand Dab
  • Sturgeon Goddess
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
First person Freddie calls to tell about his destruction is Stuart.  Of course I'm next (or I think I am).  I didn't think it was funny at all.  I'm thinking 'are you crazy!?' I've heard stories about the Bean- thats probably one of the places I will never go- but OMG what was he thinking???  Anyways, as I was sleeping last night, Freddie comes into the room with his laptop and says, "Babe! You've gotta watch this!!!" So he plays the video Bill posted.  I'm too sleepy to even pay attention, I reply "uh huh" then fall back asleep.  Remembering his video and his excitement about it, I decided to watch it just now.  All I have to say is HILARIOUS!!! :smt044

Freddie managed to get some crazy bruises on his leg.  I'm glad everyone made it in safe.     
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 08:15:02 PM by Melissa »
~Melissa~

otobepelagic

• o2b
  • Sea Lion
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
   When we finally make it down there I am bringing my off road riding gear......everyone else just bring a camera.
Great video and commentary!
NCKA Angler of the Year 2010 1st Place, 2009 2nd Place, 2008 3rd Place          

Living the dream before I can only dream of it.......

Freddie

• Sea Lion
  • Shhhh... I'm sleeping.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
That was crazy stuff yesterday.... The Bean has been good and bad to me. My first wipe out ever was there. My worse wipe out ever was there and then there's yesterday. All is well though... just a bruised ego but a little humility is a good thing sometimes. Plus, I've got another great story to tell at the campfire. I just wish that Bill was able to capture it all on video... that would've been awesome.

Gary-

The first thing that came to mind as we were standing on the beach in the aftermath was your buddy and how he just got hammered. Definitely on the wrong side of the yak out there. Definitely one of the more brutal wipeouts at the Bean in terms of having a yakker getting beat up. We all remembered your final words that day... "C'ya guys, were heading to HMB..." Classic

Freddie

InSeine

• "Whiskeys' for Drinkin', Waters' for Fightin'"
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Been there, wrecked that! :smt006
OG

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
When I read the header...I didn't think I was gonna see THAT!
hmmmm?..I want to go fishing in the ocean, on my kayak, on THIS day!...and you pull out your calendars, close your eyes and drop your finger on "the day?"....too funny! :smt005.....I mean, I glad everyone made it in safe.
You guys are nuts, I mean MAD for attempting...WTMU and let your better judgement fall to the side!
....GETyourFISHIN'in!  :smt003
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
A couple notes on this day.

We pulled up to the beach and the first sight we see is JTF's buddy get bucked into the water by the break that unloads off the northside rocks.  Timing that was a b***h cause not all sets continued to break after hitting the rocks, some would mush out and others would continue to break all the way back to the beach......flipper just got caught but he recovered fast and it didn't ook like he lost any gear, 100% pro.

We watched the water for about 40 mins before we agreed that its doable but timing was everything.  We're all suited up and ready to, waiting out the big sets.  I stood back and let Pennington and Pacifico go so its not mayhem if someone gets pummeled.  The set ended and it flattened out, just as Bill and Pac start charging the ranger and a lifegaurd call everybody back onto shore for a quick discussion.  Lifee gives us the general surf warning and suggests we stay away from the rocks.  He looked over our gear and highfives us on having all the safety gear and tronics....good to go.  We turned back to the surf and had to stick it out for another 4-5 mins till it layed out a bit then we go.  Angle had the sweetest mount to dismount I ever seen.  From the left side of his yak, he planted his ass in the seat then swung his right leg over the yak....and his left leg followed it.  The momentum carried his body completly off the yak and he flipped.  I think he was just showing off, it takes some serious cojones to do a slapstick comedy bit in 6 foot shorebreak.  Proving yet again why he's el presidente and I can't join his dive club.  Paddling out I got sucked sideways into the next wave and played bumper boats with Bill, he straightened me out and I paddled my tail off to get to the middle of the bay.  On my way out a macker rolled through and peaked right under me, my yak got nearly vertical in the face....Bill was not so lucky and he had to punch through it while it broke. 

We fished, I stuck a cab and black on iron. Bill and Pacco fished squid, macks and swimbaits for the goose egg. The swell was building while we were out there and the sets seemed like they doubled in size.  We were on the reef and bigger sets started coming through, 30 feet of water, I turned and seen a big effer roll under Bill and by the time it got to me it had sucked alot of water off the reef and started peaking, I thought it was gonna break but it didn't.  My 13 foot yak got near vertical again and I swear if I paddled it I could rode it like a surfboard.  It was pretty much game over after that, we called it a day. 

I stowed everything and was prepared to swim.  Paddling back through the mouth was nuts and it seemed like the sets were closer together now.  I kinda hung out at the mouth and let Pennington and el pres do there thing, we came in single file and landed safely.  I felt like a sitting duck while we were slo paddling the mouth waiting to charge in.  The sets that came through while we were waiting were beastly.

We got to shore and grabbed the radio to see if we could guide the rest of the crew in but all ears were off.  You know the rest of the story.  I have a good shot of freddie with the wave stacked up behind him, it was alot bigger than the video makes it seem.  I'll post it as soon as I can load it. 

oh yeah....Angel broke his fishing rod but not when he flipped.  He attempted a roland martin hookset on a rock and busted his tip off  :smt003
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • View Profile
I was taught by the pros(PapaBill&Mooch:smt008).....come in as close to the right as possible.
....if a stronger south were hitting it?, come into the south rock area.(saw John do it with my own eyes on day...without incident)
I saw Freddie come in last week and he was in the middle...just like he was here...I know that shorebreak will gobble up stuff pretty easy...that's why I chip the corners when coming back in.
,but if I was looking for some fun....i'dDOitJUSTlikeSAVAGEdid!=CLASSIC! 

Eric B

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I came back thru the middle.  Once.

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I was taught by the pros(PapaBill&Mooch:smt008).....come in as close to the right as possible.

It was trickier than it looked. That was a lull, some of the set waves didn't break over the northside rocks, some had 1-2 waves that broke all or most of the way in and after we had all landed one bruiser came in and closed out over most of the cove.  If you woulda hugged the rocks you woulda swam.  We had to come in straight up the gut then paddle as far to the north side of the cove as we could before the next set came.   
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • View Profile

We had to come in straight up the gut then paddle as far to the north side of the cove as we could before the next set came.   
that is what i'm refering to...some just continue the middle trek and find out that, that parte of the shore is MUCH STEEPER than the corners are.....resulting in a less shore pound.....but I would not have even launched in those conditions....even if JTF were there, pushing me on. :smt011  knowWHENtoTUCKtail&SAVEass!

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006

Sweet! time for GBII to cough up his NCKA champion surfer title!

cowabunga!  :smt005

Sorry John -

Freddie is 10 times the angler as me but he will have to hang 10 on a 5 foot Limekiln ball crusher with a 1 1/2 flip ejection before I give up my surfing title.  :smt044

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament