Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:48:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Bean Hollow - The Destruction 9/20/08  (Read 8202 times)

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Fantastic video.  I was talking to PAL about the Bean's South Swell mojo... PAL are you watching? So on topic!!!

ScottThornley

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Very cool video Bill. It goes a long way towards explaining why there's so much carnage at the Bean, if this is how most people are doing combat landings. Too bad the fish weren't all that cooperative.

Regards,
Scott

badog

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
SWEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTT   VIDEO!!!!!

Badog
Ride 135
Fish n Dive

Freddie

• Sea Lion
  • Shhhh... I'm sleeping.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
And to think... I was just a minute away from turning back and driving home when I first got to the Bean... Miss all that fun... forgetaboutit... I got to the Bean a little after 6 to see a pumping swell and nobody in sight. I watched it a bit and decided... what the hell... I barely got out... but I did and as soon as I did... I was thinking to myself... Shit... coming in might be a bitch. A couple hours later, I got a hail on the VHF and it was JTF and his buddy. It must've taken them at least a half hour to make it out. For a while, I didn't think that they were going to join me at all. After that, Bill hailed in and it was a party. Like Papa Bill said... the fishing was slow. I managed to catch some but nothing really worth anything. I did put a 21" cab on my stringer and that was that. Coming in was a rush in itself and made the whole day worth it. Man, the swell looked and felt really big on my way in. The Bean can really put the fear into a man and can really bring the hurt too. Basically, I paddled my ass off and got caught in the back wash at the steep part of the beach... I saw the boys looking hard and pointing and I looked back... the last thing I yelled out was... "I'm in trouble...!" Then, KABOOM!!! A wave just closed in on me like a bomb. I literally got blown off of my yak and that was that... all in all... what a rush. I never felt so alive in a very long time. I love this shit. I'm glad that Bill got a picture of it... describing it in words just isn't enough.

Be safe out there...

Freddie

aka-kimo

• Salmon
  • 46 lb WSB 9/12
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Gota love those beach slappers. I was trying not to laugh, sorry, I failed. Cool report/video.

SBD

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
WTG Freddie...that IS the madness! 

BTW-gotta love Papa Bill's "uh-oh"
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 07:16:36 AM by scwafish »

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
I talked to Freddie on the phone this morning and he said I gotta see this post.
He was RIGHT!!
I was laughing so hard it hurt.
One thing the GF commented on was how the guys ran to help out a bud in trouble.
My reply, " That's just how we roll babe. That's just how we roll"
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 07:52:33 AM by Tote »
<=>

Hat Trick

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
man that is a BIG shorebreak!  i have picked my bean days very carefully in the past and i will continue to do so!
great video and excellent NCKA teamwork to get the second kayak out of the wash.
2006 AOTY STRIPERKING

jonesz

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
That wasn't toooo bad. At least his yak stayed upright and spared his rods   :smt001 Now if he was one yak legnth further out.........that would have been bad........get it? Bean Bad  :smt005 Nice catch Bill.

jmairey

• Sea Lion
  • 35" and ~25lbs of halibut
  • View Profile
Fantastic video.  I was talking to PAL about the Bean's South Swell mojo... PAL are you watching? So on topic!!!

the bean is actually shielded from the south swells by pigeon point.

those are actually just small to medium west swells believe it or not.

If you want to get creamed by some south swells tho, I can show you some spots,  :smt002
john m. airey

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Thanks for the great video Bill. That's the way to tell newbies like myself to think
twice before heading out.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
That is a toatl RIOT, esp the slow-mo laughing...

Evil

Allen

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

JTF..

• EastBaySlayer
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Fantastic video Bill!!! :smt045   My buddy Tom(flipper) had a pretty good time out there.  Gary, that was me in front of him.  The sets were tricky yesterday, just when you thought it would lay down a bigger set would come in.  I was jammin for my life, and, trying not to give the guys anything to laugh at.   :smt003

Great fishing with you guys, too bad about the bite, it was horrrrrible! 
Freddie gave me the story by phone, but seeing it is way BETTER!
Thanks Bill.  Great vid.  Love the evil laughter.
Wish you had a close-up Freddie.

JTF... way to punish another one of your newbie friends.  :smt043

I have no idea what your talking about chuck.  :smt082  I did explain all the risks about that place before we went.  He is a veteran surfer of this area and actually handled himself pretty good out there for his first time in the ocean.  I feel the bean is a great place to get your crash landings dialed in.  Or not.  Depends on how well a person can read the sets and handle their kayak. 

A job well done to Art, Angel and Bill on their timing.  It was amazing how big the sets were that came in after them and there was my bro Fred scrambling around on the inside of the cove trying to survive, you can probably imagine how my buddy and I felt watching that as we paddled in.  JTF
2008 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2007 1st Place Elk Fiesta
2006 3rd Place Paddlefest Shark Derby
2006 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2005 Elk Fiesta 14th place
Mooch is OG

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Great video Bill - my wife and kids loved it, too! It reminded us of some of our previous "adventures", brought back memories for sure. Nice assist in getting Freddie out of the impact zone and great fortune the boat stayed straight. Thanks!
John
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

SandMan

• Salmon
  • Fishing the Bean
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2005
I remember the time I introduced a BH rookie to the Bean and assumed that since he was a veteran paddler he could handle the surf.  I had him follow me out and by the time I turned around all I saw was the front of his yak sticking straight up in the air.  ChuckE and Freddie saw my poor friend get pummeled all the way back to the beach and they helped him collect his gear.  Anyway, we packed up and ended up going to Pillar Point for a good time there.  Lunch at Barbara's Fish Trap helped smooth over the mental wounds.

JTF, is that Tom's name (flipper) or are you pulling our leg?  Not a good name for beach launches and landings.  Impressive sprint slicing through the water on that stretch run.

Freddie, I just though of something...you just got C&R'd by the Bean!   :smt044

Gary
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.

anything