Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:21:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 07:28:43 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 09:08:36 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:41:07 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:12:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: DrDave now in Santa Rosa and Redding  (Read 1989 times)

fisheducator

• Sea Lion
  • North Valley Slayers
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Well, almost settled in and exploring. What a great place to live! Still need to get my kayak up here. In the meanwhile, I tried my hand with surf fishing for perch after reading a lot about it and both times got no bites, but viewed beautiful water. Any suggestions for surf fishing locations along the Sonoma coast?
 :smt006

We used to fish North beach or south beach at Pt. Reyes, caught perch, halibut, starry flounder and 1 or 2 stripers
Remember to practice safe knots, because big fish don't just break your line, they also break your heart.

otobepelagic

• o2b
  • Sea Lion
  • 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
The only challenge.... there is literally no room for my kayak... so now to find a storage unit for the yak somewhere close in. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
 :smt006

Ravensblack's house!!!  Or Leepin's shop.

I could squeeze one more kayak in the shop. Located in Cotati. Send me a PM

Bushy
NCKA Angler of the Year 2010 1st Place, 2009 2nd Place, 2008 3rd Place          

Living the dream before I can only dream of it.......

DrDave

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Reflecting and Rebooting...

I recently spent some vacation time with my now adult children. We shared great memories of kayak fishing in Shasta and Humboldt Counties. I am indebted to Loleta Eric for starting us on the path of great saltwater adventures and for sharing the joys of kayak fishing with my sons and I on more than one occasion off the Humboldt Coast over the years. It seems like just yesterday when they were just little guys and now young men with a great appreciation of these experiences and now adventuring on their own in their own way. I am also appreciative of the many times my boys met or just bumped into NCKA members. Although brief introductions or fishing in the same pond/ocean at the same time my boy's can recount the many wonderful people along the way.

Life happens when you plan. Last year I was lucky enough to take on a wonderful job in Santa Rosa. In addition, I was blessed to have Allen (otobepelagic) generously provide storage for my kayaks and trailer since the condo I leased did not have secure storage. Thank you Allen! You are awesome! The only problem was between last year's fire storm, challenges our district faced and then later some health issues, I went out just once for the crab opener at Doran Beach and that was it. Not complaining... just saying I am long over due for some saltwater. :smt001

And now... moved out of condo, found a wonderful tank house in the middle of a vineyard with room available for my yaks and I am itching to discover the Sonoma Coast I have have been dreaming of since last year!

I have been reading the postings and hope to join someone on the Sonoma Coast for first time tag alongs adventures in new locations. Wine or beer offerings gladly offered! :smt003

Anyone heading out Friday, 7/20/18? and do not mind a follower?  :smt006

“This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

yatzmail@yahoo.com

We have amazing members always willing to help in anyways.
Glad to hear you're ready to rediscover the salt again.
Let's try to hook up sometime for some gaper clams if it's your cup of tea  :smt006

DrDave

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Let's try to hook up sometime for some gaper clams if it's your cup of tea  :smt006

Thanks Jason, Interesting you mention clamming. I have just been looking into clamming locally. I have read and watched just about every video possible. We attempted clamming once years ago with my son in Oregon with no luck, but had a good time in the muddy sand. I am looking at first decent low tide and time, perhaps at Doran. My son, just came through to visit and dropped off clam shovel and bucket. Anytime you are wanting to head out, I am in 👍
“This time, like all times, is a very good one, if we but know what to do with it.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Hey Doc, if you are free on a Monday or Tuesday you are more than welcome to join me on a trip to Tomales Bay or the Sonoma Coast. I have a few friends that are great company and I am sure you would have a good time.
David

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Thanks Jason, Interesting you mention clamming. I have just been looking into clamming locally. I have read and watched just about every video possible. We attempted clamming once years ago with my son in Oregon with no luck, but had a good time in the muddy sand. I am looking at first decent low tide and time, perhaps at Doran. My son, just came through to visit and dropped off clam shovel and bucket. Anytime you are wanting to head out, I am in 👍
Yes let’s do it sometime.  :smt006

DrDave

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Hey Doc, if you are free on a Monday or Tuesday you are more than welcome to join me on a trip to Tomales Bay or the Sonoma Coast. I have a few friends that are great company and I am sure you would have a good time.
David

Wow, thank you. I can definitely adjust my calendar and am available Monday if you are heading out somewhere. I am probably set for rockfish/lingcod and salmon fishing. I might need some slight readjust to rigs, etc down in this zone. I have not been fishing for Halibut (ok once) and may need to do some homework and rigging to head to Tomales Bay. If Monday works, let me know and perhaps I could pick your brain for the right rigging/gear. 👍 Thank you 😎

DrDave

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Yes let’s do it sometime.  :smt006

Sounds great, looking for that first low tide!

CptSloppywood

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
David

Wow, thank you. I can definitely adjust my calendar and am available Monday if you are heading out somewhere. I am probably set for rockfish/lingcod and salmon fishing. I might need some slight readjust to rigs, etc down in this zone. I have not been fishing for Halibut (ok once) and may need to do some homework and rigging to head to Tomales Bay. If Monday works, let me know and perhaps I could pick your brain for the right rigging/gear. 👍 Thank you 😎
Ok great. The conditions on the coast look great for monday.
I plan to fish for rockfish and lings. If the conditions change I will fish inside Tomales.
I will send a PM
David

DrDave

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Super! Thank you👍

anything