Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:46:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:43:04 PM]

[Today at 12:42:05 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Pedal Kayaks  (Read 2521 times)

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Will do if I can but more likely scenarion here is I would buy it outright without testing 😅

Ha ha, I can relate to that, as I never tested any of the kayaks I've bought...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Get a used 2015+ Hobie Revo 13, that should be good for all purpose.  You can think of this as buying a used 3 year old Lexus versus brand new Corolla ....

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Schills206

• Salmon
  • 2016 Hobie Outback
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
Anyone know how that compass holds up in the salt?  Similar specs to the outback but lighter so I imagine it will do fine.

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Anyone know how that compass holds up in the salt?  Similar specs to the outback but lighter so I imagine it will do fine.
Theres a review on BWE, and some other forums.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I agree with everyone else, you need to try a couple. one note: the Wilderness systems yak is the Radar not the Ride.

Also keep in what kind what you are planning to do with your yak i.e. fish in lake, stream, or ocean. I would not recommend any yak under 13 feet for the ocean(this does not include Hobie).

Got it!  So for ocean, the pilot, slayer lt & 11.5 radar wouldn’t cut it even though it is pedal and the compass can?  Please do share as I am new to yakin.  Than you.
The Manta Ray Propel 12 works just fine for the ocean.  It's a great kayak for people with some experience.  Headwaters Kayak in Lodi was selling them for $1400 last week, and might be willing to sell at that price if they still have inventory. - tell me that you can beat that price for a brand new, very capable pedal kayak, and one you can test drive to boot.

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
People who talk up Hobie kayaks as the be-all end all haven't tried out all the new kayak models from all the different manufacturers.

All these kayaks are fit for purpose, just depends on the purpose.  Some are more stable, some are less.  Some are cheaper, some are more expensive.  Some are crazy heavy, others are actually manageable. Test drive them all, don't buy them sight unseen.

I had a longtime Hobie guy on my Hurricane Slayer LT with propel drive yesterday, and he was very impressed by it. He had never had a chance to try one out before in actual fishing conditions. 

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
People who talk up Hobie kayaks as the be-all end all haven't tried out all the new kayak models from all the different manufacturers.

All these kayaks are fit for purpose, just depends on the purpose.  Some are more stable, some are less.  Some are cheaper, some are more expensive.  Some are crazy heavy, others are actually manageable. Test drive them all, don't buy them sight unseen.

I had a longtime Hobie guy on my Hurricane Slayer LT with propel drive yesterday, and he was very impressed by it. He had never had a chance to try one out before in actual fishing conditions.
All true. 

I do have a couple hobies but bought them only because there wasnÂ’t a better pedal drive for me at the time.  I have tried older hobie competitors kayaks but couldnÂ’t get used to the bicycle pedal feel and feet position. I moved my legs to much which aggravated other body parts.  The hobie can move with what feels like less energy. If I find that in another kayak pedal drive that improved the overall experience I would not be against trying a different brand. 

If you donÂ’t have specific injuries to worry about you can get used to just about any kayak.  They all do ride a little different and pedal drive kayaks are a lot more expensive than a Costco or Walmart cheapo yak.  It is and investment so test drive it like you would a car.  The more you like it the more you will want to take it out.
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011

I fit that description on both counts. For some strange reason, I'm tempted to recycle that old joke about Macs vs PCs (there are 3 kinds of people in the world---those who own a Mac, those who wish they owned a Mac, and those who don't know any better), but I'll refrain.

Actually, I think it's fantastic that there are so many manufacturers offering pedal drive kayaks, and I hope to get a chance to pedal a bunch of them. But, I suspect that Hobie will remain at the top of the heap because nobody will be able to offer something that is truly comparable for significantly cheaper. Of course, I could be wrong...

Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile

I fit that description on both counts. For some strange reason, I'm tempted to recycle that old joke about Macs vs PCs (there are 3 kinds of people in the world---those who own a Mac, those who wish they owned a Mac, and those who don't know any better), but I'll refrain.

Actually, I think it's fantastic that there are so many manufacturers offering pedal drive kayaks, and I hope to get a chance to pedal a bunch of them. But, I suspect that Hobie will remain at the top of the heap because nobody will be able to offer something that is truly comparable for significantly cheaper. Of course, I could be wrong...

I agree.  The good thing is if people are asking what they should get, it means the train of thoughts had left and running, which is a very good thing.  Personally, I think it's a good idea to have a point of reference as a comparison.  In my mind, that point of reference is Hobie Revo 13 or Slayer Propel LT.  They are both speedy enough and in the Slayer Propel case, it is very light compared to others.  Keep in mind, although I've seen and tried enough, it is just a suggestion. 

Hell, it is very likely my suggestion is a bad one as I don't own either (I have the Santa Cruz Raptor G2 and NuCanoe Frontier 12).  My Raptor is a surf champ and excellent crabbing machine (the back storage side is huge).  My NuCanoe is a tandem champion (with motor ..... ya, no flame please ...).  The Raptor will soon be outfitted with a swiveling seat on the backside for my lovely daughter ....

2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
The G2 is an unbeatable crabbing machine, no doubt about that. I’ll make you a deal on one of mine, but I don’t have an extra drive to go with it.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

VK

FWIW...this for my experience DG quote   "  If you don’t have specific injuries to worry about you can get used to just about any kayak. "

I started with a Ocean Kayak T-13,  but as I used it more and more I found that the nerve damage to my right side proved to be less efficient than I hoped which in turn limited the distances I could go and new options such as Salmon fishing no way could I "troll all day . Plus it`s safety issue too.

This in turn led me to purchase a Hobie Revo 13 , which when I demo`ed felt great at first ,but again over  time at Lake Sonoma and Spring Lake my right side started to give me issues causing spasms in my right hip and lower back ,the degenerative disc disease ( which isnt really a  disease but that`s another tale) seemed to be a contributing factor too

I lost interest .

Well we know what I recently did with my Revo , bummed to say the least.

Anyhow there`s an ass for every seat so to speak....I hope to find a solution . Yeah motorized kayak.. license ,registration , maintenance, fuel, just doesn't entice me  . But hey Tomato ,Tomatoe...

Just my .02   

Johny23

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2017
Thank you so much for the healthy discussion guys👍🏽  I am really aware the importance of demo but people’s experiences also has its weight in gold.

The only injury I’m aware would be a bruise bank account upon purchase.  Other thing here is I forgot to mention that I would be more unlikely to go offshore.  I am kinda paranoid about great whites and bull sharks.  If you could see me yaking,  I ALWAYS turn my head left to right if I hear splashes, so much that I ended up a trip after with a stiff neck 😅.  If I was a DIYer,  I would have probably installed sideview mirrors and even a rear view mirror (patent pending 🤣) in my yak already.  Anyways, furthest I’d do would be inshore.  Would a 12’ yak suffice for that one?

bmb

• AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
Thank you so much for the healthy discussion guys[emoji1417]  I am really aware the importance of demo but people�s experiences also has its weight in gold.

The only injury I�m aware would be a bruise bank account upon purchase.  Other thing here is I forgot to mention that I would be more unlikely to go offshore.  I am kinda paranoid about great whites and bull sharks.  If you could see me yaking,  I ALWAYS turn my head left to right if I hear splashes, so much that I ended up a trip after with a stiff neck [emoji28].  If I was a DIYer,  I would have probably installed sideview mirrors and even a rear view mirror (patent pending 🤣) in my yak already.  Anyways, furthest I�d do would be inshore.  Would a 12� yak suffice for that one?
I would say yes. If someone is willing to go out in a Hobie Outback, there should be no reason not to go out in another 12 foot pedal craft. 1 foot doesn't make that big a difference, as long as the kayak is properly built.  I'm a value shopper, that's why I recommend kayaks generally on the lower end of their price range for comparable boats.  I would split boats up by price range, decide what budget you have, then choose based upon features and reviews, and then demo before buying.

If you have questions about specific models then feel free to ask for opinions on the forums. I would be happy to answer questions about Natives. Although I'm pro staff I'm a fairly straight shooter.

Sub 2k
Hobie Compass $1949
Perception Pilot $1799
Native Manta Ray 12 Propel $1999

2000-2500
Jackson Cruise FD $2199
Ocean Kayak Malibu Pedal $2199
Native Slayer Propel 10 $2399 (probably too small for ocean, albeit very stable)
Hobie Sport $2349 see above note
Wilderness Radar 115 $2449
Hobie Revo 11 $2399

2400-3000
Wilderness Radar 135 $2600
Hobie Outback $2549
Hobie Revo 13 $2549
Native Slayer Propel 13 $2599
Native Slayer LT $2699
Old Town Predator PDL $2799
Jackson Coosa FD $2999

3k+
Native Watercraft Titan 13.5 $3249
Hobie Pro Angler 12 $3599
Hobie Pro Angler 14 $3749 /% off current year models
Hobie AI $4799
Hobie TI $6749

Coming soon
Native Watercraft Titan 10.5
Native Watercraft Titan 12
Feelfree pedal drive

Others
Hobie Inflatables
Hobie 17t
Native FX Propel (canoe hybrid, not scuppered, not recommended in ocean)

Not recommended
Brooklyn Kay-Crap Company
Alibaba knockoffs

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:30:43 PM by bmb »

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile

Nice list!  I'd like to suggest:

sub 2K:
Santa Cruz Raptor G2 (if you want a pedal, you need to get the Hobie pedal separately)

2400-3000:
Hobie Revo 16
2019 Hobie Outback

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Hobie is the Gold Standard when it comes to pedal driven kayaks. There has been several used 2015-2016 Revo 13 and Outbacks for sale lately as people upgrade to the new 2017 models with the reverse drive. And if you don't mind the old style seat a 2012-2014 model will do just fine for a starter.

anything