Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:41:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 10:05:24 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Preaching the PFD message ...  (Read 7251 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Oh don't get me wrong, I'll still ty to promote safety through self rescue practices and always wearing my pfd. I just will no longer do it on your website.

Seems a bit passive aggressive Adam.  Not sure why you're all bent out of shape.

-Allen

Not at all, this is me responding directly and honestly to your request. You don't want safety police on your website, so I won't be safety police on your website.

That is not at all what I said.  In my original post, I said, "I think it's better to educate people, but still leave the decision up to them. Education does not mean bullying, or goading, or guilting."  Safety police does encompass all educators.  Perhaps I should chose a better term, but I associate safety police with the negative connotations expressed in my original post.

-Allen

VK

No confusion , of course NCKA does  :smt003. Just being a  smart-ass

I know I won't hold another self rescue chill , just for the simple fact people talk game  , but don't bring it or even a message  stating not coming at least . Despite my  lack of organizational skills with the event .

But that is my issue

As far as risk , Ill throw this out " I make a personal choice to commit to not advising, commenting or questioning anyone  not wearing a PFD , but also will not offer assistance to those not wearing a PFD with the only exception being a minor . Personal choice above responsibility at all times . LOL
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:45:37 PM by VK »

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017

I know I won't hold another self rescue chill , just for the simple fact people talk game  , but don't bring it or even a message  stating not coming at least . Despite my  lack of organizational skills with the event .

But that is my issue

As far as risk , Ill throw this out " I make a personal choice to commit to not advising, commenting or questioning anyone  not wearing a PFD , but also will not offer assistance to those not wearing a PFD with the only exception being a minor . Personal choice above responsibility at all times . LOL

Aww you made me feel bad VK. I'm sorry I had to miss that, I did/do actually want to do that. At least I messaged, we should hook up and fish some time though. Through some of our other conversations I think we live really close to each other.
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

VK

But that is my issue

Aww you made me feel bad VK. I'm sorry I had to miss that, I did/do actually want to do that. At least I messaged, we should hook up and fish some time though. Through some of our other conversations I think we live really close to each other.

Dude your one of the  2 that got back to me about a family commitment  ..remember ? lol

Der_Huntsman

• Salmon
  • View Profile

But that is my issue

Dude your one of the  2 that got back to me about a family commitment  ..remember ? lol

That's a shame. I remember, did everyone bail on you?
Formerly known as "MF"

@Der_Huntsman

VK

But that is my issue

That's a shame. I remember, did everyone bail on you?

not to threadjack  Scottymeboy showed  we had a good time

Schills206

• Salmon
  • 2016 Hobie Outback
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't a moot point within the next couple years.  Kayaking is booming right now and more inexperienced yakkers are on the water (including myself).  Coupled with the deaths of kayakers without PFD's every month or two makes a good case for legislation that requires PFD's on kayaks.  Yeah, that would suck. 

VK

I think the State of NY has May 1 - Nov 1 mandatory...Trying to remember , have to look it up

Reverse that Nov 1-May 1 due to the "Gasp" effect in cold water
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:34:18 PM by VK »

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
I think the State of NY has May 1 - Nov 1 mandatory...Trying to remember , have to look it up

Reverse that Nov 1-May 1 due to the "Gasp" effect in cold water

That's what took one of our restaurant patrons in May of last year. His friends watched from shore.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 03:54:09 PM by Archie Marx »
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

cal.ndn-yakin

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I had time to try out for the first time last weekend self rescue. The fishing was slow so being it was my fourth trip on the kayak and i hadn't tried yet i decided to.  And yes with a PFD on i went 5 for 5 on my kayak and then i tried my cousins sit in and went 1 for 1 in it. Being new to tge game i believe the PDF helped me get back in with ease and i am a big boy at 268 lb. I flipped myself and was back up in seat in  probably 30 seconds i surprised myself.  This was in a lake so next i want try in a river sometime im sure it will be more difficult but with the PFD im sure i should be able to manage. I wear mine because i wouldnt want my wife to be mad if something happened. She asked me to wear just in case.  And all it would take is some lake lice watching little Suzie stand up on water ski's for the first time and not pay attention to whats in front of him. Or someone who had to many to be in the water driving a boat. I want that extra chance if i lost or broke a limb from someone's negligence or my own for that matter. There is always the what if situations and i myself will try to be better prepared just in case.  And last weekened i felt good and like a,role model when i went by a mother and her 5ish year old son on a floating device she said look even that big guy with tattoos wears his.  She said he wont wear it because he thinks he will be sissy.  I looked at the boy and said do i in any way resemble a sissy? The kid under breath said umm no i said good now i hope you will reconsider as i paddled away.   

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Oh don't get me wrong, I'll still ty to promote safety through self rescue practices and always wearing my pfd. I just will no longer do it on your website.

Seems a bit passive aggressive Adam.  Not sure why you're all bent out of shape.

-Allen

Not at all, this is me responding directly and honestly to your request. You don't want safety police on your website, so I won't be safety police on your website.

That is not at all what I said.  In my original post, I said, "I think it's better to educate people, but still leave the decision up to them. Education does not mean bullying, or goading, or guilting."  Safety police does encompass all educators.  Perhaps I should chose a better term, but I associate safety police with the negative connotations expressed in my original post.

-Allen

Archie, Baby.  I am one of the worst PFD Police.  Esp if the yak has a fishing rod on it! 

You can't go anywhere you have to stay here.  And be as emphatic as you like re:  PFD's.  Polepole is being provocative again....

I've moderated my on the water reminders, I used to talk to everyone I saw out there without a PFD on, clipped and zipped.  Now not so much unless they are anglers.  WE each and all are role models.

I ALWAYS wear a PFD even when it's hot.

No one has kayak fished with Polepole more than I, and I can only think on one or two tropical occasions wherein he took off the PFD for comort.  But, both thoe situations I was right there with him, and one or both we had a mothership support coose by. Aand as I said, it was tropical.

I still wore mine.

Bushy

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
If it's not pfd's, people will glom onto something else, like the net requirement...next thing you'll hear is, "hey you can't use that photo for promotional purposes because there's no net in the picture! You were poaching!" Hahaha
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
You just never know. I tell my son it is like not using your safety on a rifle. You never intend for an accident to happen, so you use common sense and keep the barrel pointed safely, etc. Just like that trigger, you can accidently roll it. It is going to catch you off guard, when you are not ready. Prob be ok, but the chances of unintended consequences goes way up. Why risk it?
Besides a pfd gives you lots of extra pockets for stuff! Like the license everyone is freaking out about forgetting.
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

Tim

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
My personal opinion.....ban anyone who refuses to wear a off while tournament fishing,what they choose to do on their own outings shall be entirely up to them,it's hard to try to explain the theory to some adults.

Sent from my SM-G920T1 using Tapatalk

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
it's hard to try to explain the theory to some adults.

Yes, it is, but in my case, in discussing the "other side".  Does anyone else find it strange that very few have asked about the situations that I have chosen not to wear a PFD?  They are too busy chastising me for not wearing one.

-Allen

anything