Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 01:28:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jp52
[Today at 01:21:06 PM]

[Today at 01:09:18 PM]

[Today at 11:46:31 AM]

[Today at 10:38:46 AM]

[Today at 10:16:10 AM]

[Today at 08:56:12 AM]

[Today at 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Looking for Hobie AI hardware - adding ama to Oasis  (Read 4131 times)

michel

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
I've got otobepelagic's old 2012 AI that I use with one ama and no sail 90% of the time. I'd like to set up my Oasis the same way, so I'd need "Cross Bars", the tubing that's bolted to the deck of the Islanders and holds the akas. Not sure if the 2015 crossbars are backwards compatible.

I thought I'd throw this out here before spending $300 $620 on new parts because there are some creative folks here, and who knows, maybe a salvage yard of Hobies I don't know about. Looks like TI crossbars from the same era would work. Already have ama, akas, tramps.

If curious, I think the crossbars should fit behind each of the 2015 Oasis seats. The hinges on the akas allow for some flexibility, thankfully. And they'd want some serious reinforcement inside the hull. I think the added storage and stability would make it worthwhile. A TI is not out of the question, but a little overkill for my needs most of the time.

Thanks!

https://www.westcoastsailing.net/default/boat-parts/hobie/adventure-island/79512701.html

https://www.westcoastsailing.net/default/79510731.html

https://www.westcoastsailing.net/default/79510721.html
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 09:57:06 AM by michel »
Hobie AI

MotherLoad

I’m working on a similar project for a Hobie classic. I’ll let you know if I run into any part sources, salvage, etc. At the moment, looks like I’ll be saving to order through CCK in oakland...wont be cheap, but I agree about storage. I’m also hoping it would allow for a higher center of gravity and a seat upgrade too.
Good luck, post up your progress please! :smt006

michel

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
It definitely will allow for a higher center of gravity!

Came across videos of folks in Florida who've done similar mods
Outback:
Pro Angler:
Revo 11:

I think the '11-'14 (V2) akas will work well for you since the classic and the '12 AI probably sit the same height in the water (low). For boats like a '15 Oasis where the deck is a lot higher, the guy with the Pro Angler had to bend his V2 akas to 'lower' the ama into the water (definitely not going to do that, but opens up more salvage opportunities :smt001). The next time he got '15 akas, which are made for a higher boat.
Hobie AI

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Great project, but I doubt you're going to find salvage-able aka bars at any reasonable price. If I could find them, I'd convert my Adventure to a full AI...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

michel

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
I finally bought the parts I needed to add my extra '12 ama to my '15 Oasis and it seems to work fine. I bolted the crossbars behind the seats as far apart as possible, which is still 1.5" shorter than the distance on the AI. This means that the ama will fold in, but it doesn't feel smooth near the end and probably stresses the hardware a bit.

To keep the ama in the water with the higher deck of the Oasis, I added 12" lengths of 1.5" schedule 40 aluminum pipe to extend the feet of the akas. The first slid on with grease, but the second required some sanding. The OD of the pipe conveniently matches the ID of the bottom of the oversized holes in the ama. Wrapped some rubber flooring material around to make the top snug.

Now it just needs some downriggers...

Hobie AI

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Very cool...hope you fly... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
Very creative.

Did you end up buying the cross bars new, or did you find a used source?

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I just got an oasis and thought about this as well. Thanks for the thread. Any chance to test it out on the water yet?
2020 Hobie Outback (sold)
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2016 Hobie Outfitter (sold)
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

michel

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
NowhereMan, I bought the crossbars new, I'll let you know if I come across any used ones.

James, I've only tested it on the bay for on a flat day. If you go for it I've got a few more tips I can share. Hope it will make it up to GS13!
Hobie AI

JamesM

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2016
NowhereMan, I bought the crossbars new, I'll let you know if I come across any used ones.

James, I've only tested it on the bay for on a flat day. If you go for it I've got a few more tips I can share. Hope it will make it up to GS13!

Nice! I m hoping for GS13 as well! If not, we can always meet up at ARW or so. I m not too far away south from you.
2020 Hobie Outback (sold)
2018 Hobie Oasis (sold)
2017 Hobie Outback
2016 Hobie AI
2016 Hobie Outfitter (sold)
2014 Hobie AI (sold)

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I added an ama to my outback  :smt006

been over a year so far with it and loving every second lol only take an extra 5 minutes to setup. I took someone out on it a few times. 2 person plus a dog and it was stable. I'm able to fish longer and go further *ssshhhhh* lol Someone been hating on this mod lately but doesn't hate when he wants a uber ride lol

crazyfisher

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015

it was tricky bolting the rear crossbar on the outback since it lacks the space needed to reach for the bolts. You have to be creative!! I used a gopro with liveview to position the socket to the nut and tighten it down. Just need patience!!

I usually check the nuts once a month just to be safe. I did put a backing plate as well for extra security.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:23:09 PM by crazyfisher »

MotherLoad

Working on a mock up pontoon and outrigger for my Hobie classic before dumping $1000 plus into all of the parts for a full pontoon AMA and tramp from Hobie.

Got the idea when I found a website with detailed plans for building a pontoon SUP for fly fishing using XPS foam and fiberglass.

http://www.flycarpin.com/p/diy-standamaran-stand-up-paddleboard.html

Working on my pontoon now, although I’m already worried it won’t be tall enough to do the job. I wound up with 1” XPS rather than the 2” used in the plans, so I have six 1 “ layers instead of four 2” layers. Might try and add two more layers before glassing it.

Materials so far:
1. 8' x 4' x 1'' sheet of extruded polystyrene insulation($24)

2. 1 bottle Gorilla glue ($11)

Materials I anticipate using:

- 2 to 3 rolls fiberglass weave

-epoxy resin

Still working on plans for mounting it to the kayak, but a PVC frame sems like the most practical idea. Hoping to be under $150 bucks total for the build.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 06:14:03 PM by Trutta »

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Wow, cool stuff... :smt006
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
http://www.flycarpin.com/p/diy-standamaran-stand-up-paddleboard.html

That’s a pretty great resource. Good luck with your build and be sure to post pictures when you’re done.