Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:21:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Halibut newbie  (Read 1543 times)

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
New to kayak fishing, but have fished a lot for halibut in boats.  I feel comfortable in my yak to go to the bay and fish, just would like to go with someone for safety for my maiden voyage.  I also am willing to take said person to my ultra secret crappie hole up here in sac in trade!
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Montana, I would say rig yourself up and try to find some time to go out to yakhopper's fisherman's warehouse tourney in alameda on May 17th if you can.  There should be plenty of people there and a couple of the alameda regulars are probably going to show up.

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,16068.0.html

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Keep checking out the Hookups forum.  Many of these Hali hookups are newbie friendly.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

MontanaN8V

• Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
Will do, that weekend I will be fishing with Hooked Fishing Charter for the boys' birthday party.  The following weekend, I plan on heading out to try my luck, there will be a lot of friends in boats close by, and in radio contact with me, so I feel comfortable with that, but very much interested in hands on teaching
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

bmb

• Please unsubscribe me from the
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
montana, the sniffer hali fest should probably be a weekend you stay off the yak.  even if they know you, its real tough to fish from a yak amid an armada of pbs. although if everyone is drifting rather than trolling its probably a little better. 

dilbeck

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
montana, the sniffer hali fest should probably be a weekend you stay off the yak. 

Isn't that the weekend of Adam's shindig?  I'd suggest attending that function for sure.  Wish I could myself but have plans. :smt009  :smt013

Michael

Jeffrm20

• =)
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Rich, Ive been out the ARW once, and am willing to go back out there if you wanted to poke around for hali. Let me know.

Jeff

MontanaN8V

• Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
Sure thing Jeff, just keep watching some reports, and as soon as they show up, lets go.  I bought a delux seat today for more back support, so I can stay on the water longer.  I think I will be able to pull a 10 hour day now.  During the sniffer fest, I was planning on hanging tight to the Berkeley pier and flats in close, and, if conditions changed, I would be able to hop a boat to go catch some flatties.  A lot of us will be camping in the parking lot in our trucks, and I will have room in my truck for another yak, and some people.  I even offered to tow a boat if someone needed it, I will make the same offer here.  I have room for four people, one yak, and a lot of gear.
Rich

Jeffrm20

• =)
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Sounds good, Ill see if I can get free that weekend, we'll see.

Jeff

FISHADOW

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • Pusher of the Prowler. Watcher of the Wise.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Yea montana u should check out the fishfest and bbq goin down at the end of may. alotta good food and fun to be had by all. all goin out 4 hali's. other then that drop me line sometime. we can try to hook up and do sum bay or crappie fishin.
I like to have fun.......

LIVE LIFE!!!

MontanaN8V

• Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
I will, even though I am a Ford guy,  :smt003 I will fish for anything, pretty much anytime, anywhere, just need 15 minute notice!
Rich

MontanaN8V

• Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
I picked up a gaff and some more gear, I am going to try Berkely tomorrow at least for a few hours, I have a limited amount of time, I have a spinal injury, and the surgeons have been dragging their feet for two months now, but it sounds like things are going to move fast.  Next week, I go in for a battery of tests, so This might be my one and only shot this year from a yak.  I plan on pulling popcicles.  Anyone want to meet up, let me know.  I plan on leaving sac around 0500.
Rich

Surf Hunter

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Weather looks iffy this weekend, we will probably stay home and maybe rig up an anchor/trolly system.  Maybe next if the weather is better, Shannon and I will hit Oyster Point again.  I'll post and anyone is welcome to join us.  :smt002
Member of the Dark Kings Fishing Club, Port Hueneme, CA

anything