Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:17:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Winch line issues?  (Read 679 times)

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
 :smt006

Hey all, this is for those involved with or use winch's in one way or another. (Tow operators, crain etc..)
 I have a Milemarker 12,000 lb hydraulic winch on my truck I think the cable is 3/8” x 125’? I was in a hurry one day trying to move a borrowed 20-ton log splitter from neighbor up a slight incline hill on my property and while using my winch to haul it up the little incline to the road (So neighbor could tow it back home) I neglected to run down my hill to get my snatch block to use on the neighbors truck. Was in a hurry.
 Instead I ran the cable through a tow hook on his front bumper. Our trucks were about 10 yards apart facing each other, and his tow hook offered a better angle of pull to the splitter to get it up to the street. I shouda hooked my snatch block to that damn tow hook BUT Noooo. (This happened about 4 years ago?)

Well after hauling the splitter up to the road, my winch cable now has a section that’s about 20 feet long that has “Curley Q curls’” in it now. (Think Christmas ribbon and using scissors to make the straight ribbon curly?) Annoying! (Stupid on my part for using the tow hook as the snatch block! I know better! But what’s done is done)
 My question is, Is there any way to remove the curl’s out of the cable and straighten it back out? I suspect maybe heating the cable at each curl may do the trick but I also know it might weaken the cable as well.

I could remove the bad section ( Min 25’ or more) and have a shortened winch line, but I don’t have the proper equipment to create the hook connection on the newly created end (Creating an “Eye”) so this option is off the table at the moment. I can still use the winch, its just a PITA having the cable twist up when feeding it out.

Another Option is to replace the steel winch line with a synthetic winch line, but this is an expensive option and not sure the CFO (Wife) will approve the cost.
 Any thoughts?
 Thanks

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
:smt006

Hey all, this is for those involved with or use winch's in one way or another. (Tow operators, crain etc..)
 I have a Milemarker 12,000 lb hydraulic winch on my truck I think the cable is 3/8” x 125’? I was in a hurry one day trying to move a borrowed 20-ton log splitter from neighbor up a slight incline hill on my property and while using my winch to haul it up the little incline to the road (So neighbor could tow it back home) I neglected to run down my hill to get my snatch block to use on the neighbors truck. Was in a hurry.
 Instead I ran the cable through a tow hook on his front bumper. Our trucks were about 10 yards apart facing each other, and his tow hook offered a better angle of pull to the splitter to get it up to the street. I shouda hooked my snatch block to that damn tow hook BUT Noooo. (This happened about 4 years ago?)

Well after hauling the splitter up to the road, my winch cable now has a section that’s about 20 feet long that has “Curley Q curls’” in it now. (Think Christmas ribbon and using scissors to make the straight ribbon curly?) Annoying! (Stupid on my part for using the tow hook as the snatch block! I know better! But what’s done is done)
 My question is, Is there any way to remove the curl’s out of the cable and straighten it back out? I suspect maybe heating the cable at each curl may do the trick but I also know it might weaken the cable as well.

I could remove the bad section ( Min 25’ or more) and have a shortened winch line, but I don’t have the proper equipment to create the hook connection on the newly created end (Creating an “Eye”) so this option is off the table at the moment. I can still use the winch, its just a PITA having the cable twist up when feeding it out.

Another Option is to replace the steel winch line with a synthetic winch line, but this is an expensive option and not sure the CFO (Wife) will approve the cost.
 Any thoughts?
 Thanks
In my experience, you’ll have to remove the bad spot or replace it. Once it’s stretched sideways it’s toast.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Mark L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
It sounds like the cable went through a radius (tow hook) that was too tight and the wires that were on the inside became permanently bent (and compromised). I don't know of any way to straighten it out. You should be able to remove the bad section and then take the remainder into a cable shop and have the hook re-crimped on for a nominal fee. I spent over 20 years as a drilling contractor so unfortunately I had to work with steel cables almost every day.

2018 Eddyline Yellow Caribbean 14 Angler

CGN-38

• Del Valle Storm Trooper
  • Sea Lion
  • Survivor Del Valle FnC 09'
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
 :smt012
 Thanks guys, that's kinda what I though.  I've had winches on all my off-road vehicles and used them pretty extensively for other vehicle recoveries.  My winching experiences didn't include any cable issues till this one (Posted about) Sadly the hosed portion of cable is about 25 feet in (Back from hook) and about 20 feet of I guessed stretched cable. Thanks for the explanation how the curls happened.  Makes sense after reading your explanation.
 Mark you mentioned a Cable shop?  do you know of any close by Santa Cruz, San Jose areas? I haven't accessed my Google-fu yet but will...
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 07:24:33 PM by CGN-38 »

Member/survivor STORM TROOPER Brigade

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
My Uncle Sugar experience tells me replace the cable and get an extra snatch block or two.

Your winch is rated at 12,000 lbs, your load is 20,000 and you are going up an incline. 1 block will only give you about a small mechanical advantage. Where as a second or third would increase you mechanical advantage, but part of that is negated by the resistance of each block. The attached Army Recovery Card is the standard we would use for recovering almost anything.
Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

anything