Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:43:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:57 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Picking a spot to retire  (Read 4032 times)

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Retire?  By the time I retire I'll be able to slay huge fish by virtual reality and even throw up if I press the right button...
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

hooper

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
I'd definitely give the State of Jefferson a consideration. Namely, SW Oregon and NW Cal. Brookings has a big retirement community and as I understand pretty good health care (unlike Crescent City). I retired 3 years ago from teaching and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Of course, I've lived here all my life too. Helps having gkids here.

A few highlights, The Smith and Klamath on either side of us, uncrowded, lotsa easy beach access for walking and perchin, lotsa big Redwood trees, very temperate climate, 45-65. Easy access kayak fishing on the ocean (California Halibut are in now). It does rain in the winter, although we only had around 65" last year. Something has to make those trees grow! To be honest though, we just sold our house to our son in town and moved up to Gasquet. 20 mile drive up the Smith (60 miles to med services in Grants Pass), 20 degrees warmer in the summer, less fog, more rain, fewer people. I asked my wife, why didn't we move up here 20 years ago?
Anyway, you should take a drive through the State of Jefferson and see what it has to offer.
There are many places that are good to be from, this place for me is a good place to be.

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Retire?  By the time I retire I'll be able to slay huge fish by virtual reality and even throw up if I press the right button...

buy Red Rock , build a  kayak launch and a secret under ground lair  :smt044
5 million...3 counties for building approvals...hmmm...go fund me kayakstyle and entrust it to ncka members only...only if I had the cash.... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

simplycook

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2014

buy Red Rock , build a  kayak launch and a secret under ground lair  :smt044
5 million...3 counties for building approvals...hmmm...go fund me kayakstyle and entrust it to ncka members only...only if I had the cash.... :smt006

That boat launch/ramp/abandoned building between Point Molate and San Rafael bridge is for sale.  Everything I drive back from SR to Richmond, there's a big "FOR SALE" painted onto the ramp. 

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
As Bill said, healthcare is a major consideration.  I have a friend in rural southern Oregon who is facing health challenges and good doctors are just too far away.  Even with medicare to cover the cost, distance to good care and emergency care and transportation need to be thoroughly researched.  Many health plans are only available in a limited number of counties.  I have a Medicare Advantage plan that's really great but it's only available in Contra Costa County.  That could change next year since nothing is certain when it comes to health insurance.  However, generally speaking, there are more options in larger counties than small.  I have been retired for almost twelve years and originally thought a move was going to be part of retirement.  12 years later we are still here in Danville where healthcare is great, crime is nearly nonexistent and we love our neighborhood.  We have a single story home which is another consideration as we age.  A smaller home would be nice and less work but I think we will probably stay here until we're ready for some sort of "senior living situation" like Rossmore in Walnut Creek.

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Great Topic,

this one is gonna run,,,

We weren't looking for the retirement situation,,,

we just wanted a home after getting "Shellacked" in the Realestate market due to due to fucked up bankers and extended family needing us to move closer,,,

say no more,,,  anyway, close to a million lost dollars later,, we needed to find something affordable,,,

We scoured the entire U.S. west coast,, twice,,, so fun,, anyway,,,

reading this, I have a few things to add and confirm ,

Kaiser is a issue the further you get north.

Prices on the coast are high, but not like here of course,, stay the fuck away from Seattle or anywhere close..

Portland,, so fun and dug it,, but,, it's populated and is and gonna be worse..

Eugene, very strong contender.. just outside of Portland and great prices/homes/land

State of Jefferson,,, just feels good for some reason passing thru and Beautiful,, which I do a lot,,,

Getting up towards Bellingham,  Beautiful,, cold, windy, cool people and just a touch of Racism .,,

thats' all I got as somehow for us,,

the impossible happened,,,

we got an amazing house that needs an amazing amount work done in West Sonoma County just recently,,,

our search is over and I now know where I am if not traveling the world,,

working on my house,,

loving every moment of it ,,,

I will say this,,, I really thought I was ready bug out of here,,,

with extended family still a issue, My Fellas,  :smt052 in school in the area, well till Noah goes to China, and Kuba becomes a "fixture" at MIT, 

I'm glad were not too far away...

Don't be too afraid to look past this part of the Continent too, The U.S. that is,,,

Lots of amazing opportunities abroad ,,,

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 11:14:58 AM by Danglin »
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

DrHabanero

• Sea Lion
  • BigLipRipper
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Fort Bragg has always been a place I would like too. Big enough but not too overpriced. Gualala is always a second option but make sure you stay healthy.
I'll rest when I'm dead!
2016 Ocean Kayak Predator
2014 Malibu X-Factor ,2014 Malibu Mini-X
2010 Malibu X-Factor ,2006  Ocean Kayak Drifter 
2011 Yakhopper Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7   Winner!
GS4 - 4th place

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Fort Bragg has always been a place I would like too. Big enough but not too overpriced. Gualala is always a second option but make sure you stay healthy.

I liked that area too, I almost got a job at the hospital there as a medic,, it was cool job,, work in the er and then go get some work ,,,

I did get to to see the under belly of that hospital,,,

It's a good hospital,,,  good people there ,,,  they got a plan when things go wrong,,,   :smt045
There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

myyak8me

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
I'm bored as hell recovering from a screw up on my bicycle so I'm happy to offer probably worthless advice.  First, the gentleman that mentioned Kaiser and insurance really brings up something to think about.  We bought a winter place in Yuma AZ - and this year starting in November we'll stay for almost 6 months.   But... we have Kaiser and Kaiser is not in Arizona.  Further, they will not mail our persciptions to AZ.  We're going to have to drive to the Kaiser pharmacy in the Palm Springs area to get them filled.  Not a big deal but something to think about.

Yuma is rediculously cheap. We bought a 2 bed/2 bath modular home with mountain views and 2 full RV hookups for $130K.  We got a good deal but you can get some value there. The Colorado River (between 30 min to 60 min drive depending on where you fish) is a great bass fishery for a kayak once the water warms up in late February. Yuma is also 3 hours from San Diego - so you could get your salt water fix over there. Here's the deal with Yuma - you have to get the hell out there by May.  It can't be your only place - I think a couple of weeks ago it was 115 degrees!

I was also checking into property (which I can't afford without selling my current home) around Whidbey Island in Washington State. If you sold out of the Bay Area (I'm always shocked at the prices I see for houses there) I am sure you could afford to buy up there. Summers would be beautiful - the winters... I'm not sure.  When you leave the Bay Area you're leaving one of the best climates anywhere!

Here's a listing I saw that looked interesting.  I bet if you went up there with a bucket of cash from your Bay Area house you'd get some pretty good deals.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/pmf,pf_pt/60910167_zpid/whidbey-_att/globalrelevanceex_sort/48.021305,-122.455802,47.975358,-122.547469_rect/13_zm/?

soleman

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
In truth  ,I will go where my wife tells me , just sayn` :smt044
Wife has been wanting to move back to Florida where she's from for years so that's where we'll wind up. After 2 trips a year for the last 15 years it has grown on me. Probably North or Central Fla, cheaper and less crowded. Fantastic fishing of all kinds, fresh, salt, offshore, inshore, beach and river and good hunting. Depending on where you are, good medical facilities that service the retired community. I told her I'm not staying for the summers though, so that's when we'll travel.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Are there Halibut in Wyoming?

I just looked it up and--can you believe it?--no flatfish at all in Wyoming! I might have to rethink my plans...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
I was talking to a couple at the Gerstle Cove fish cleaning station that we’re visiting from Washington. We decided that with climate change Oregon and Washington are going to be the new hot spots with perfect weather and California will a desert. Better buy quick.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Are there Halibut in Wyoming?

I just looked it up and--can you believe it?--no flatfish at all in Wyoming! I might have to rethink my plans...
I'm glad I could help... :smt006

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

4est

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Looked at Prescott Az ..Not much there but less expensive than SoCo .. Neither of us have Kaiser so but like I wrote she'll want close to our kids ..Maybe lol

I recently had my friends from Fortuna ca move to Prescott,
There very happy there with lots of recreation they  recently got themselves a couple of wilderness kayaks.
They live 5 mins from one of the little lakes.
Might not be a bad choice for some.
I left California and landed in Reno, good hospitals/ doctors, close to the mountains, reasonable drive to the ocean,
International airport, and best of all no state income taxes.
I just might stay right here!

-4est

Chadrock

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
We visited some friends in Prescott last year. I loved the place. Downtown was hopping with music. It’s got a sweet old west vibe to it also. Doesn’t get hot like Phoenix does and gets an occasional snow dusting. I’d live there.
If you want to thank a Vet, be a person worth fighting for.

1st place Red Barn Classic 2010