Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:10:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:51:53 AM]

[Today at 10:49:39 AM]

[Today at 10:15:09 AM]

[Today at 07:23:39 AM]

[Today at 07:16:05 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Picking a spot to retire  (Read 4048 times)

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
By the time I’m old enough to retire my house will most likely be paid for. However the high cost of living in the Bay Area makes me think I should be planning to move. Maybe someplace where I could get a decent place to live for half of what I sell my house for. I’d like to stay in California but I don’t want to move to Meth Central in order to find affordable housing. I’d like to do some traveling/fishing and I don’t want to come home to a house gutted of copper and appliances. I am a fish and eat guy so I like to catch rockfish, salmon and crab in the salt plus trout, kokanee and mackinaw in the fresh water. Fishing is better on the salt side but between the high winds, high surf and seasonal closures there are more chances to fish in freshwater. I like the mountains but living out my older years in snow country might not be a good idea. I’m thinking somewhere in NorCal or Oregon. Are there any good places that are still affordable?
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
If you find one let me know.
<=>

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I moved my dad to Idaho a couple years ago. He loves it and it’s far less expensive than California. It’s quite a haul to the coast but there’s year round hunting and fishing opportunities. He lives directly across the river from Oregon so he doesn’t pay sales tax. Idaho Has a reduced income tax for pensions and does not tax SSI.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Dogwood

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Any place but Calif would be the right answer. I was born and raised in California. I worked for this state for 30 plus years. Most of my growing up was in Santa Rosa. I recently went back to visit. Didn’t recognize it. Homeless everywhere had to tell one to step back from me. To many with hands out looking for something free. Could go on forever. What’s what’s wrong with calif it’s broken.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
If you find one let me know.

+1

Oh, and I have the minor added constraint of a wife who thinks that living 10 minutes outside of the Bay Area is roughly equivalent to living on Mars.
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Oregon sucks stay south of the border!!!!!!! :smt044

Come visit and fish then decide.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Tinker

You won't find affordable on the coast of Oregon or Washington because too many people with the same idea have driven housing costs way, way up.  Ten years ago, maybe, but not these days.

Dale L

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2005
Hey Ken,

We've never met, but I put so much time and effort into studying "retirement" options that people at work used to joke that I should become a retirement counselor.  And my company put on some pretty good retirement seminars that I learned allot from.

With that said do a deep dive into the finances of moving, what will be your ongoing expenses for the rest of your life where you are vs where you might move.

Lots of details deep down that can surprise you.  IE I have Kaiser partially paid for by my x employer, plus Medicare part B. That combo gives me phenomenally good care with almost no additional cost. BUT if I was to move out of the Kaiser service area my medical would change drastically.  I only throw that out as something I mean when I say deep dive.

Another thing to think about if moving, I plan (at least want) to move closer to my grandkids, house costs even being equal says I can afford the house, but my prop tax will triple as I've been where I'm at for 25 yrs.

Lots of things to consider, sounds like you're not in a hurry, and yeah my observations tend to be downside, bummer stuff, but better to know than not.  I had a good retirement plan laid out but it didn't include tripling my prop tax, Oh well!!

Actually pretty exciting looking towards the next chapter.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 05:04:26 PM by Dale L »

RBark

• Shark Week every week I am OTW
  • Sea Lion
  • That Deaf Guy
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I will be moving to Ohio when it's time for me to settle down.  Rural life suits me much better. Pick up the local freshwater fishing and take a couple Alaska/Mexico fishing trips a year and i'm good.
Thresher in avatar and Soupfin Shark in signature both caught and pic taken by me.
3rd place Kayak Connection Derby, 2014
45th place / 423 pts / 3 Species - AOTY 2014 (nowhere to go but up!)
30th place / 1132.25 pts / 7 Species - AOTY 2015 (moving up a little!)

Always looking for new people to fish with!

The X Inn Keeper

• Life is Good!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
After working and living in the expensive bay area and central valley my entire life, all I can say is ......
Life is Good in the Cove!
;0)
Hobie Outback (dune)

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
My wife and I both have a 401k but that won’t help much when stacked against the cost of healthcare. I don’t believe either of us have any paid options. I like to say I’ve got the Thelma and Louise retirement plan. Seriously though. I’m almost 60 now so it won’t be tomorrow but it will come soon enough. I can use the time to visit some places. I know someone that spent a lot of money building a house next to the bridge in Ft Bragg. She now wishes she had built a little inland so she could get a little sun now and then. She didn’t do enough research. Of course the problem is that nice places to live are also the most expensive. With the price of homes in the Bay Area I am hoping I’ll be able to find something reasonable. I suppose rain in Oregon is better than snow all winter and 110 in the summer.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

• View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
We love El Dorado County.  The biggest negative is the fire risk, but seems anywhere in CA now is at risk.  You could find a place with 2 or more acres 2 bed 1.5 bath for around $300,000. 
Don't worry about snow country, YOU'RE RETIRED!  Just wait it out and stock up.  There's lots of mountain fishing beyond the usual stomping grounds everyone knows about, gold panning, lots of outdoor activities.  From my place to, say, Albion, is a 215 mile drive, 4 hours depending on traffic. 

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I will be moving to Ohio when it's time for me to settle down.  Rural life suits me much better. Pick up the local freshwater fishing and take a couple Alaska/Mexico fishing trips a year and i'm good.

I can relate to that, as I grew up in rural Iowa and most of my extended family is still in that area. But my first choice would be Wyoming. Of course, I've never been to Wyoming in the winter, and I hear it gets cold there...
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

snapperhead

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Biggest thing to remember is you want to be close to hospitals, if you plan on staying in your retirement home til the end. Fort Bragg is ok, Eurkea has a pretty good. Santa Rosa has both a Kaiser and a Sutter. Not sure about the foothills and hospitals, as we have been looking at coastal areas for retirement.  Southern Oregon is really nice, and weather is good. Not sure about hospital care there.
"Life is like a school of rockfish, you never know what you're gonna get"

Eddie

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

I can relate to that, as I grew up in rural Iowa and most of my extended family is still in that area. But my first choice would be Wyoming. Of course, I've never been to Wyoming in the winter, and I hear it gets cold there...
Are there Halibut in Wyoming?
“I’m going fishing.”  They said, “we will go with you.” 
John 21:3

Stealth Pro Fisha 475
Jackson Kraken 15
Native Manta Ray 12.5
Werner Cyprus 220cm

anything