Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:04:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:36:10 AM]

[Today at 09:23:34 AM]

[Today at 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 07:49:41 PM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 09:45:43 AM]

[April 20, 2024, 08:27:22 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:37:51 PM]

[April 20, 2024, 07:28:42 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: A good day to say goodbye May 27  (Read 6126 times)

jselli

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Although I was unable to attend my wife and I spent some time discussing how amazing this site is and how courageous Chef was.  It is hard to believe that at the Elk Derby less than a year ago he was catching fish and creating an amazing cervice (sp?).  In memory he is an amazing inspiration and model as to how to "live life to the fullest."  Well done NCKA saying goodbye.

Solemnly
Jason
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 08:34:24 PM by jselli »
...The sea, once it casts its spell
holds one in its net of wonders forever.
                          Jacques Cousteau

starfish

I never got to meet Steve but am glad that I had the opportunity to attend the memorial with Angel. The memorial service was a good way to reflect on life and say goodbye to a great friend.

PAL

• Salmon
  • View Profile Kayak Fish magazine
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
A wonderful send-off for a one-of-a-kind friend who knew how to live every day to the fullest. Goodbye brother Stephen. I'll be back to visit.

NCKA, you are a class act. You cook some tasty eats too! Very Chef worthy. 

Thanks Sean and Chris for joining me on the Tour de Chef. Jellyfish is growing into one heck of a man. That kid can fish.
Read about kayak fishing: www.KayakFishMag.com

promethean_spark

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I'd only met Chef in passing physically, but knew him well from the forums.  He certainly was a cheerful guy, whereas I probably come off as a crass hillbilly.  I doubt I'll ever attend an internment that is as much of a celebration of life and kinship as I did on sunday. 
The legend lives on from the Chippewa on down
Of the big lake they call Gitche Gumee
Superior, they said, never gives up her dead
When the gales of November come early.

sackyak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
NCKA Knows how to say good by.  It was a truly class act.  I arrived late after fishing at San Simion with Great Bass 2 but pulled up just in time to take some photos of the memorial from the bluff over the parking area.  I will post them from home later today along with a few others.  I was able to help several people land and also assist with hauling kayaks up from the beach.  It was a pleasure to meet Chef's brother and his mother with whom I had a brief conversation and expressed how Steven had inspired me and other NCKA memebers even if we had not met him.  The food and comarodary was great.  A real celebration of a life that was cut short but will always be remembered.  Photos to come.
Etienne

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
It was a great day to honor a dear friend  :smt045

Some of us got their early enough to do some fishing and as I was paddling out, I came  across a small hump on my fish finder and immediately dropped my iron down to the depths and caught my first Ling on the season :kick...then I thanked Chef for showing me this special place  :smt045 Soon enough, I started catching several Olive Rock Fish.....and the funny thing is that I called 'em "Johnny Bass"  instead......and I remember well that it was Steve that used to call 'em that  :smt003 I just couldn't help but smile and think that Chef was right there, fishing right next to me  :smt001

I'm looking forward to fishing "Chef's Kitchen" again  :smt002

Sturgy

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Had a great time fishing at Big Sur. Truly a beautiful spot. I know Chef was looking down on us. Attached is a photo of Chef's brother and wife.

DSC03750

Mike

JTF..

• EastBaySlayer
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Yep, I still call em johnny bass also, verocious little killers.  I was sad not to be able to make it, seein the pics makes it better. 

I know I'll never ever fish big sur without thinking about Steve for the remainder of my days.  jtf..
2008 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2007 1st Place Elk Fiesta
2006 3rd Place Paddlefest Shark Derby
2006 Elk Fiesta Survivor
2005 Elk Fiesta 14th place
Mooch is OG

sackyak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Below are some photos I took.  The first ones are taken from the highway above Mill Creek.  Then one from the beach and one from lunch.  The last two show how we completely took over Mill Creek Sunday.  The forest service ranger commented that he has never seen so many kayaks there.  It made for some colorful photos.
Etienne

Freddie

• Sea Lion
  • Shhhh... I'm sleeping.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2005
What can I say that hasn't been said already...? It was just great to get the group together to honor Chef like we did. From those who knew him well to those who only met him a time or two. He was just one of those people who immediately struck you as a special person. We cannot say enough of his spirit and zest for life. I'd like to thank his family again for making the long journey to Big Sur. Also, thanks to all the NCKA brothers and sisters for an awesome day. A part of Stephen will always live within all of us.

Freddie

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
You guys and gals ARE the class act.
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56542681@N08/sets/
I sure do miss you guys.

jdyak

• Salmon
  • Joel fishing Linda Mar Creek 06
  • View Profile
Spent a couple of days to reflect on Sunday.  It was great to see everyone pay their respects to an incredible person that Steve/Chef was and is.  I will never forget him and will always think of him when I'm on my kayak doing what he was so passionate about.

John

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man.  - Herculites -
2006 NCKA BAM 1st place Catfish Winner

BobN

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Most of the appropriate kind words have already been posted.

The turnout for Steve's memorial on the holiday weekend was amazing. Those who arrived early (Thursday) vying for the few campsites available and those who did the long drives early and late to participate. A true demonstration of the love and respect for the Chef and what the NCKA family is really about.

As it should be, the weather and surf were respectful all weekend. There was even a little sunshine for the NCKA feast. It was great to be there. The memory of Chef, his attitude and courage will remain with us all forever. BIG SUR = Chef

Sackyak, great pictures!!