Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:04:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:03:59 PM]

[Today at 12:02:48 PM]

[Today at 11:06:38 AM]

[Today at 10:38:50 AM]

[Today at 10:21:42 AM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:22:18 AM]

[Today at 08:45:32 AM]

[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:35:28 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 09:34:00 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 07:44:11 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:36:28 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Pacific Warriors new Discovery Channel Series Kayak Fishing BIG GAME  (Read 19702 times)

Vermillion

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
Great story Bruddah! Much respect for the old school

For the series, the producers must script some of it. They have to make it interesting for non fishers. Sometimes we see a re-enactment of a situation that came up in a conversation between Cast and crew.  Just remember its reality TV not educational tv.
I did get a good idea though. The  bait tubes are a cool idea. Havent seen that before. Atleast I think the drilled pipe they are dragging around are for bait.
I only fish on days that end with Y

Sarge

• William Wirt
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Da Bruddah thanks for sharing that great story. you are right your dad is a true Pacific Warrior.
Hobie Dealer Pro Staff
Ling Ling Jigs Pro Staff
http://www.linglingjigs.com 
2017, 27th Shasta Bass Classic
2016, 13th place AOTY
2015, 2nd Place Team GS9 (Team Pacific Outfitters)

tiny

• Striper
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2009
Great story.Thanks Michael.
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve,not by the desire to beat others-Ayn Rand

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 urban camo
RTM Abaco orange and black   HELL YEAH

surfingdude

• Salmon
  • Silence is golden and duck tape is silver
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
 I am wondering if anybody can sell fish on the islands ? ...I do not see commercial numbers or markings  on any of the kayaks on the show   .. seems like a place like that would insist on large commercial numbers ,,,then again the selling fish talk  could just be more TV bull scat.

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I am wondering if anybody can sell fish on the islands ? ...I do not see commercial numbers or markings  on any of the kayaks on the show   .. seems like a place like that would insist on large commercial numbers ,,,then again the selling fish talk  could just be more TV bull scat.

I believe they can, or that there is little barrier to them doing so.

-Allen

oldfart

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Da Bruddah, Thanks for the great stories.  I loved reading them
"Pedo Viejo" is what Antonio called me.

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • Da Bruddah with my son Gabe, Whitefish, Montana
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
11/7/15
Hey Bushy and NCKA Bruddahs,
I just watched the 2nd episode of Pacific Warriors and I have to say that the Bruddahs from the Big Island really pissed me off. First of all, us local guys we don’t treat another Bruddah like that, especially if like NCKA, we are all doing something that we love. Most local guys, contrary to the 2 assholes who gave their Maui Bruddah false intel and sent him on an empty wild goose chase from Honokahau Harbor in Kona (that’s near the Kona Airport). It pissed the hell out of me that those 2 motherfuckers were staking claim to a piece of the ocean that is supposed to be shared by all and tell the Maui Bruddah that he had to leave or they were going to kick his ass. If you noticed, they were launching from what looked like a State or County Park. That was a public beach!!!! It further pisses me off that people not from Hawaii will think that’s how us local guys are and that’s how we treat each other. Bullshit!!! I can truly say that most local people are very kind and generous, most local Bruddahs will not treat you badly if you don’t come off like an arrogant, stupid “haole”. Those 2 Big Island jerks got it all wrong. Locals know that there are parts of the Big Island that is Hawaiian land and has been Hawaiian land foreva. We know that you don’t enter Hawaiian land without someone from the local area or family that has some claim to the land. You have to ask permission to be taken to the ocean by a native Hawaiian and be able to fish there. The ocean in Hawaii is for everyone, there was never any kind of “yeah this is my fishing ground and only us guys can use that”. That’s bullshit!! The ocean in Hawaii is a gift to everyone, and it is to be treated with respect and shared with all. I don’t know if those assholes were putting up a show for this series because in true native Hawaiian tradition, if they were doing for real, they are in for some very big trouble. If they keep doing this something bad is going to happen to them. The Kupuna (elder) spirits and the ancient Hawaiian traditions of “Aloha Aina”-Love for the Land are not to be violated, they watch over the land and the sacred ocean and one day something will happen to those assholes from Kona that will kick their ass if they keep doing for this TV this series or if that’s how they are in real life.
When my Dad and his fishing buddies, Calvin Sueda and Yamamoto Man went fishing in Kalapana, they knew Uncle Robert Hoomalu whose family has lived in Kalapana (Southwest Hawaii where the volcanoes are erupting and going into the ocean) for a very long time, probably before the missionaries came. When Uncle Robert took them fishing they had to walk over Hawaiian land and my Dad would always bring food and other household things for Uncle Robert and his family. Once they even bought him a refrigerator because Uncle Robert’s needed one and was having a hard time buying a new one. When I was growing up I saw this. But never quite knew why my Dad would always go out of his way to bring all these thing when he went fishing in Kalapana.
Although I am Japanese-American in Hawaii, the respect for the land of Hawaii, the sacred places, burial grounds, Pele the Goddess of Fire and the volcanoes and deep respect the native Hawaiian people and their traditions and culture were passed down to me for 4 generations. We were told very early in our life that Hawaii is first the land of the Hawaiians and that we are visitors. To this day, even though I was born and grew up in Hawaii, I still feel in in my bones and my soul. When I go to Kalapana, Waipio Valley or places that has been old Hawaiian settlements, I speak to the Kupuna (elder) spirits and ask them to welcome me into their land. That I am a visitor for a very short time and I thank them for their graciousness and generosity. This may sound weird and too supernatural to some of you, but it is very real to me when I go back home to the Big Island. It was real to me when I was growing up as a kid.
I now think that the reason my Dad was such a great fisherman is because he had great respect for the Hawaiian people and their culture. I also think that the reason that he was never injured or could have been killed fishing on the Hamakua Coast is because he was in tune with the Hawaiian culture and has at least one or many aumakua’s “personal gods that protected him when he went fishing.
I felt that it was an obligation for me to share another side of the culture of Hawaii that is not what was portrayed in the 2nd episode of Pacific Warriors. Now that free diving woman, Kimi Werner. Now she is a great representative of the native Hawaiian culture!!! She looks and acts like the real thing!! Respect for the ocean and only eats what she catches and shares it with family and friends. Now that’s the true Aloha Spirit.
When I was in my twenties, I met a true native Hawaiian kahuna medicine woman named Mornah Simeona. She spoke about Aloha and told us that in the ancient Hawaiian spiritual tradition, Aloha was a sacred greeting meaning “I Bless You with the Breath of the Creator”.
ALOHA NCKA Bruddahs,
Da Bruddah (Michael)

Enjoy this slide show that were taken today:
Link to Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor-7/15/17 NCKA Fishing Tournament:

Link to 7-15-17 Striper?Hali Tournament Slideshow:

http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreHappy/4e4455314d6a51344e7a5a384d5441304f4445324e7a63780d0a

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Thanks for the history and cultural lesson. I was hoping they were showing off for the cameras.  Either way they just look bad.

-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

eastonkayaker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
For you Facebooker's, he gives some interesting insight.

https://www.facebook.com/jonjon.tabon.9?fref=ts

polepole

• Administrator
  • View Profile Kayak Fishing Magazine
What goes around comes around.  The Cho Bro's have a history of being assholes.  I've been on the other side of them before.

-Allen

hightide

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Also the producers probably wanted or encouraged them to have a bit of tension to make it more interesting like the Dangerous Catch show.  Very poor editing I might add.  Spinning reel goes off then he reels in with a conventional then back to spinning supposedly on the same fish. :smt012
ALLAN

2020 Hobie Revo 13
OK T15
Owned 2015 Hobie AI
Owned Scupper Pro TW

Live, Love, Launch!

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • Da Bruddah with my son Gabe, Whitefish, Montana
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
Hey Brian,
Thanks for sharing Jon Jon's Facebook page. At least he took some time to talk about the 2nd Episode of Pacific Warriors. I posted on Jon Jon's Facebook page and vented some more of my rage.
Allen and the other Bruddahs, looks like the Cho brothers have been assholes for a long time.
Too bad, so much of the people of the Big island have the Aloha Spirit.
It's like some one pissing on your father's grave.
Mahalo,
Da Bruddah

This is my post on Jon Jon's Facebook page:

Eh Jon Jon,
 I grew up on the Hamakua Coast of the Big Island. My Dad as an old school long bamboo pole fisherman, standing on the big rocks of the Hamakua Coast and getting hammered by big waves. The 2nd episode of Pacific Warriors really pissed me off as the 2 Kona Bruddahs, gave the Big Island locals a bad taste. Like you say, I have to say that the Big Island is my favorite Island. Hilo is still a place were most of the businesses are locally owned. My sister and brother-in law own Big Island Delights and everything that they make is with a lot of Aloha!! I now live in Oakland, CA and go kayak fishing in Northern CA. After seeing the 2nd episode of Pacific Warriors, I was so pissed that I wrote a long article for NCKA.org (Northern CA Kayak Anglers website) giving my side of the story of my experience of the locals on the Big Island. There are some incredible people on the Big island and some real Aloha Kupunas (elders) like Uncle Robert Kealii Hoomalu from Kalapana. All his life he just giving out da Aloha, no matter who you are or where you come from. Uncle Robert and the other Kupunas would be ashamed that those 2 Kona Bruddahs when treat you like that!!! Nobody owns the ocean in Hawaii!! To bad that a lot of people who have never been to Big Islands will see those jerks on Pacific Warriors and think twice about coming to the Big Island. Man, my blood stay still boiling. It would be fine with me if those 2 assholes get booted off Pacific Warriors. They crossed the line!!!

Mahalo,
Da Bruddah
Enjoy this slide show that were taken today:
Link to Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor-7/15/17 NCKA Fishing Tournament:

Link to 7-15-17 Striper?Hali Tournament Slideshow:

http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreHappy/4e4455314d6a51344e7a5a384d5441304f4445324e7a63780d0a

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

Lost_Anchovy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile The Lost Anchovy
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I always keep in mind it's for televison, but fun to watch if you keep in mind it's not reality.  Thanks for the history lesson.  The people of Hawaii are so hospitable and sharing.  Always love travelling to the islands!
www.Thelostanchovy.com
Kayak Adventures, blog and tutorials

Winner - 2014 Kayak Connection Derby
2nd -2103 MBK Tournament

eastonkayaker

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
Hey Brian,
Thanks for sharing Jon Jon's Facebook page. At least he took some time to talk about the 2nd Episode of Pacific Warriors. I posted on Jon Jon's Facebook page and vented some more of my rage.
Allen and the other Bruddahs, looks like the Cho brothers have been assholes for a long time.
Too bad, so much of the people of the Big island have the Aloha Spirit.
It's like some one pissing on your father's grave.
Mahalo,
Da Bruddah

This is my post on Jon Jon's Facebook page:

Eh Jon Jon,
 I grew up on the Hamakua Coast of the Big Island. My Dad as an old school long bamboo pole fisherman, standing on the big rocks of the Hamakua Coast and getting hammered by big waves. The 2nd episode of Pacific Warriors really pissed me off as the 2 Kona Bruddahs, gave the Big Island locals a bad taste. Like you say, I have to say that the Big Island is my favorite Island. Hilo is still a place were most of the businesses are locally owned. My sister and brother-in law own Big Island Delights and everything that they make is with a lot of Aloha!! I now live in Oakland, CA and go kayak fishing in Northern CA. After seeing the 2nd episode of Pacific Warriors, I was so pissed that I wrote a long article for NCKA.org (Northern CA Kayak Anglers website) giving my side of the story of my experience of the locals on the Big Island. There are some incredible people on the Big island and some real Aloha Kupunas (elders) like Uncle Robert Kealii Hoomalu from Kalapana. All his life he just giving out da Aloha, no matter who you are or where you come from. Uncle Robert and the other Kupunas would be ashamed that those 2 Kona Bruddahs when treat you like that!!! Nobody owns the ocean in Hawaii!! To bad that a lot of people who have never been to Big Islands will see those jerks on Pacific Warriors and think twice about coming to the Big Island. Man, my blood stay still boiling. It would be fine with me if those 2 assholes get booted off Pacific Warriors. They crossed the line!!!

Mahalo,
Da Bruddah

Hey Michael,

Thanks for sharing some of your family history with us. Did you get a halibut this year?

Bryan

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Finally had a chance to catch a couple episodes last night. 

Am I the only one not feeling sorry for Captain John John? 

Guy basically showed up and said I'm gonna break your record so I can financially benefit from it.....then asked where he should fish?!  Who does that?

I though it was kinda funny when they sent him on a wild goose chase.  Somebody posted a story on bloody decks the other day about his drunken blowhard buddy running up in a tackle shop, anouncing that he was from vegas and here to slay.....he asked the shop for numbers and they gave him the coordinates for the tijuana sewer outfall. Too funny.  I see it on the same plane as dudes who show up here, having not put in any work and asking for rockfish spots.  Gtfoh. I did think it was cool that the other guy took him out.

Territorialism always gets everybody all riled up.  I don't live there, I don't know the past dealings, I'm not part of the culture so I can't comment on it and won't judge people either way cause I don't know em. 

And i get the feeling that Kimi's portrayal on the show seems genuine.  I bet the other guys aren't as bad as they're played up to be. 

..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

anything