Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:56:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 11:13:05 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Shark attack at Bean Hollow - 7/21/07  (Read 96764 times)

Erin

I wanted to suggest that -- rather than getting his kayak repaired -- Dan might consider auctioning off (via eBay) the battle-scarred kayak to a beachside restaurant or resort...even one outside the continental US (Hawaii, Bahamas, Australia, e.g.).  An item like that, together with a photo and story, could go for seriously big $$.

ChuckE

• Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I wanted to suggest that -- rather than getting his kayak repaired -- Dan might consider auctioning off (via eBay) the battle-scarred kayak to a beachside restaurant or resort...even one outside the continental US (Hawaii, Bahamas, Australia, e.g.).  An item like that, together with a photo and story, could go for seriously big $$.

Too late.  Hobie stepped up immediately and replaced Dan's kayak.  It's probably hanging on the wall at Hobie's headquarters in southern Cal.

As a side note, I'm somewhat disappointed that Ocean Kayak's marketing department decided to turn the shark attack into a publicity stunt by presenting Dan with a new Trident kayak.  That's playing dirty.

Oh well... at least Dan got something good out of the deal.... and I must admit I'm a little envious.

Winner - 2018 ARW Halibut Handline Derby
Winner - 2013 Doran Beach Crabfest
2nd Place - 2012 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner (Biggest Rock Crab) - 2010 Half Moon Bay Crabfest
Winner - 2009 Alameda Rockwall Halibut Derby
Winner - 2009 Paradise Halibut Hunt
Winner - 2007 NCKA Angler of the Year
Winner "Grand Slam" - 2007 Bendo @ Mendo III
2nd Place - 2007 Monterey Bay Kayak Fishing Derby
Winner - 2004 Santa Cruz Kayak Fishing Derby

• View Profile La Jolla Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Yeah, what jerks, how could they be such asses and give him a free kayak. :smt044

Other than the one post by mooch I had not heard a thing about this, so it was not much of a publicity stunt if that is what they were after, but I am sure they appriciate you bringing it up again. :smt002

PAL

• Salmon
  • View Profile Kayak Fish magazine
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
As a side note, I'm somewhat disappointed that Ocean Kayak's marketing department decided to turn the shark attack into a publicity stunt by presenting Dan with a new Trident kayak.  That's playing dirty.

No one from OK has pitched me a story. I haven't seen a press release either.

I think it is a good deed for any company to recognize Dan's tenacity. The man came to fish Elk. Major fortitude, that guy. 
Read about kayak fishing: www.KayakFishMag.com

Seabreeze

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Somehow, I can't seem to generate an excess of envy.....He gets all the stuff he wants.....Dan MORE than earned it.
Saltwater is the cure for everything that ails us,
sweat, tear or the sea.

Danglin

• Sea Lion
  • Accept Yourself, So Shall The World ...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Think I'll Head out to the Bean with a Dead Seal Rigged to the Bow of My Hobie...

" Here Fishy Fishy,  Daddy needs a New Trident " :smt112

Good for Dan,

OK and Hobie :smt041

There are 3 Types of people in the world,,,

The Sheep, The Sheep Dog & The Wolf,

Which are You ,,,

2006 NCKA Shark Fishing Tournament Champion    
2nd Moutcha Bay, BC. 2006 "Tyee" Surfing Contest
ELK 07  1st Place Loser
HMB 09 3rd Place
HMB 09 Sardine Champion
2009-2016 Northern California HOW Coordinator

Love Baja…  :smt055

Bushy

• Administrator
  • First, you do everything right.Then, you get lucky
  • View Profile http://theletsgofishingradioshow.com
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005

Too late.  Hobie stepped up immediately and replaced Dan's kayak.  It's probably hanging on the wall at Hobie's headquarters in southern Cal.

Oh well... at least Dan got something good out of the deal.... and I must admit I'm a little envious.

Being an OK guy, I might be biased, but it looks like a win/win to me.  Dan got a new yak so he can keep fishing, and the company (maybe) gets some word-of-mouth publicity.  I don't think OK forced a new yak onto Dan, so where does the "dirty" aspect come from?

I think it's great that Hobie essentially did the same thing, if I read your post correctly.  One GW attack-two new yaks?  Pretty good deal, though I would rather not have had the attack in the 1st place, for sure.

SANTA CRUZ KAYAK FISHING Guide Service  2004
NCKA
NWKA
Santa Cruz Sentinel
Monterey Herald
Western Outdoor News

bluekayak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2005
Doesn't seem like advertising gw attacks on kayaks would do much for sales

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
I don't think OK forced a new yak onto Dan,

No - it was never "forced" but offered....I know this for a fact cause I was the messenger. And the fact is, Dan was already looking into getting a "paddle kayak".

The way I see it, Dan was a victim of a rare occurance that was completely out of his control (he just wanted to fish - like everyone of us). His kayak was damaged and Ocean Kayak and Aquan gave him a gift. He accepted graciously. End of story - and I'm happy for him.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 04:54:37 PM by Mooch »