Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:44:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:41:59 AM]

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Tomales Bay Report  (Read 12305 times)

kayakito

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2007
Hi All, :smt006

Every year around July I like to go to Tomales Bay for some clams.
Yesterday I went to Lawsons Landing ( $7 to get in ) to do some serious digging that end up on my ten clam limit. I always had the idea of exploring the west side of Tomales Bay and yesterday I had the opportunity of checking it out. I started at the little pier by the store down to the clam beds, got my limit of ten total, then I paddled south on a smooth tide ride. I found a few small beaches down. some of them very nice, if I have the chance I will try to camp there before the end of the season, the water visibility was like five feet, lots of bait fish, I seen birds diving for them,
was a really nice day. Also I try to fish from the shore and all got
was little crabs :smt003 Power Boats all over the place, they must be catching something !! :smt004 I seen a few pb dropping crab nets, others clamming, and others fishing> It was just perfect day for kayaking.

Here is a picture of the entrance of the bay and at the end you can see Hog Island, my clams, I know they don't look that good but they are very good, view from the east side.

~ramon~

SurfFisher

• Salmon
  • 41" 28.1lb Shore Caught Lingcod off an Artificial.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2008
WOW!  Those are some huge Gaper clams (aka horse neck clams), way bigger than the ones I get in Moss Landing.  I guess the PSP reports in Tomales bay are good to go clamming in the summer.  Down in Monterey bay, my clamming was limited to only the winter months.  WTG.
Good luck and tight lines.

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Nice clams - I have a hike-in spot that produces FAT gapers, the biggest I've ever seen and I think I've located some geoducks but they are in thick rock/mud and are impossible to get at...by the way, how do you peel the skin off? I recently discovered that if you freeze the whole neck and then thaw it out, the skin will come off like nothing...
May the fish be mighty and the seas be meek...

fishshim

• Sea Lion
  • thanks for the pic PAL!
  • View Profile Mark Shimizu Design-Jewelry
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
I
Nice clams - I have a hike-in spot that produces FAT gapers, the biggest I've ever seen and I think I've located some geoducks but they are in thick rock/mud and are impossible to get at...by the way, how do you peel the skin off? I recently discovered that if you freeze the whole neck and then thaw it out, the skin will come off like nothing...

If you dip the necks into boiling water for a few seconds the skin will pull off like a long piece of crepe paper.

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Cool report, Ramon.  That looks and sounds like a good time.   :smt001

Eric
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I

If you dip the necks into boiling water for a few seconds the skin will pull off like a long piece of crepe paper.

Trust me - try freezing them. You'll be surprised. Plus, the meat loosens up and is more tender.

kayakito

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Thanks Guys..

I did have a good time. That place is perfect for bird watching, clamming, fishing, crabbing or just touring,
the sceneries are great and paddling could be easy if you ride with the tide current. I seen a few kayakers
cruising around they had wood made kayaks, the look cool and fast. The only thing I did not like was the big skunk I got :smt003  I got a few bites here and there but no fish, at one time I was holding my pole with water up to my knees and this three feet leopard shark was swimming around me  :smt009 crazy shark scared me :smt003 I was using my clams as bait and that is probably why I didn't get any fish :smt001 next time
I will try a sabiki with squid, that may get me some good bait for a good Hali. :smt002

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Ramon -

Those are really big clams. :smt007 WTG!!! Will have to give that chowder recipe a try.

scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Ramon,

Congrats on those huge clams. WTG! How do you cook them if you don't mined
me asking?

Jed
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

kayakito

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Ramon,

Congrats on those huge clams. WTG! How do you cook them if you don't mined
me asking?

Jed

Clam Chowder is my favor or Ceviche. they are huge clams, you have to do a lot of work to get them, you have to dig three feet dip to get them so just imagine paddling to the spot then dig ten holes then paddle back  :cool: is a good workout.

Malibu_Two

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
One thing to try with those clams is to take the abductor mussels (the white scallop-looking things that hold the shell together) and make ceviche with them. Those alone are worth the digging.

jwsmith

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Ramon......one of the really annonying things about a sit-inside kayak is the total lack of ability to carry useful bulky items like crab-rings and clam-guns.  So tell me, can a guy, who is willing to work fast and hard.....get clams with just a long-bladed shovel?

Judd

kayakito

• Salmon
  • View Profile
Ramon......one of the really annonying things about a sit-inside kayak is the total lack of ability to carry useful bulky items like crab-rings and clam-guns.  So tell me, can a guy, who is willing to work fast and hard.....get clams with just a long-bladed shovel?

Judd

Judd

You may be able to get some with a lot of work and I mean a lot of work. You really need a PVC pipe 12" diameter like the one on the picture. you place the pipe right on top of the clam hole then you dig inside the pipe to avoid sand falling into the hole. is fun, many people take their hole family to dig for clams. And about the sit inside kayak I think you are right, you can bearly carry anything I never have use one before but I'm sure they could be more stable and better then SOT for some
people, I'm happy with mine ( T160I ), is fast and roomy for a small man like me  :smt028

InSeine

• "Whiskeys' for Drinkin', Waters' for Fightin'"
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Those are sum fat claims.  I can't eat them anymore, stupid gout.

jim
OG

anything