Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:35:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:50:16 PM]

[Today at 02:58:59 PM]

[Today at 01:13:46 PM]

[Today at 11:50:57 AM]

[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: crab rescue  (Read 2764 times)

lorikay2

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
   Crab season started off bad but at least everyone went home safe.  In a last minute decision, I decided to load the crab pots in the truck and head down to the Santa Cruz Harbor.  The weather was cooperating and heard it was nice once you got out of the harbor.  My boat "Lorikay2" is more than well equipped to handle the situation so off I went. 
   Waited in the harbor channel for a lull in the swell that was breaking clear across, and made it through without any problems.  My initial plane was to drop my pots in 200' and fish for sand dabs while the pots soaked.  The wind was already blowing about 7-10kts but the swell wasn't bad.  Just big and roll'y
   As I'm heading out, and 3/4 of a mile from the harbor, I pass what I thought was a solo kayaker.  I made sure to stay far away, not wanting to hit him with any wake on an already challenging day.  I pass him and after a few seconds look back and make sure I didn't get too close, even though he was a few hundred yards off to the side.
   As I spot him again, I notice this time he's holding his paddle straight up in the air.  I figure he could be signaling so I slow down.  He and I both rise up on top of a large set and this time I see he's waving his paddle back and forth.  I throttle back up and race over to find an elderly man sitting in his kayak while holding onto an empty kayak with and old women in the water hanging off the side.   
   I instantly call the coast guard and ask for assistance, EMS, and support from Santa Cruz harbor patrol.  I gave them location, quick situation, and number of people involved.

(On a side note. USCG records everything that is said over channel 16.  If you can quickly and clearly report information, they can at least get things started while you deal with your situation and play back the information you've sent out.)

I pull the boat just up wind of them so that they sat in the lee of my boat.  The man in the kayak held onto the boat while I grabbed onto both of the woman's hands.  She's hypothermic and weak and obviously been in the water for a while.  But at least she had on a PFD.  No wetsuit of course.  So I hold her hands and walk her to the back of the boat.  Have her hold onto the motor as I shut it off.  Once I get back to her, I have her hold one of my hands as she holds onto the motor with her other.  I reach around the motor and trim the motor up so that it lifted her in as I pulled her up. 
   I left the guy who was safe and told him I'd send help or come back to get him and the empty kayak.  Reported back to the coast guard and they had arranged everything for us back at the fuel dock.
   EMS took her and she seemed fine.  Apparently she had gotten dizzy and fell into the water. Not sure how long she had been in the water.  I didn't really stick around since my boat was getting beat against the fuel dock from the swell coming in the mouth.
   So be safe out there.  Know your limitations and always be equipped for the worst.  Know how to self rescue.  Even if it means knowing how to get into a boat from the water.  I've heard several stories about boaters not being able to get people out of the water and into their boat.  But often times, we're your best bet :smt003
team red triangle member
2015 5th place DOTY
2016 3rd place DOTY

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Thanks for doing a good deed and sharing the story lorikay2  :smt001
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Papa Al

• You can call me Al
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2005
Good job on the rescue!

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Karma!
It will pay you back in spades.
<=>

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Excellent!!!  Great post.  But did you get a chance to drop your pots or was she your only catch of the day?

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
Yeah, where's the crabbing/fishing report?   And of course, nice save, etc etc.  :smt005
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

lorikay2

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
No fishing report. :( i was by myself and by the time i had given a statement and talked to the coast guard the wind had picked up and everyone was running in.  decided i better wait till tomorrow. But they'll be a report soon!!!

Steve
team red triangle member
2015 5th place DOTY
2016 3rd place DOTY

batt

• DcBatt
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I've never heard of lifting someone up with the motor trim .  God thinking MacGyver.

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Man this has been your year of being in the right place at bad times for others. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
No fishing report. :( i was by myself and by the time i had given a statement and talked to the coast guard the wind had picked up and everyone was running in.  decided i better wait till tomorrow. But they'll be a report soon!!!

Steve

I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to crab, but at least you know you enabled a kayaker the ability to go home safe. 

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012

fisheducator

• Sea Lion
  • North Valley Slayers
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
Kudos, good karma being sent your way....
Remember to practice safe knots, because big fish don't just break your line, they also break your heart.

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Glad to hear that they're OK 

I was in SC yesterday, just passing thru, and the harbor mouth looked intimidating, and surf was breaking in places where I'd never seen it before.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Thanks for the report and I hope you get your good deeds paid back a thousand times!
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

zilla

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
steve,way to trust your instincts on a questionable encounter. most people would have never given it a second thought. they were lucky you were there.  good job!