Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:18:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:13:58 PM]

[Today at 01:49:13 PM]

[Today at 01:47:49 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: who needs power tools!  (Read 5983 times)

ex-kayaker

• mara pescador
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
All the props go to the Amish neighbor and you don't even high five your wife for letting you borrow her hat?   :smt011
..........agarcia is just an ex-kayaker

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
that is an offical PowerBar hat "Don't Bonk!"   i do all my manuel labor in that thing.
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
it was double PITA!!  had to break around&through the old cement post block.
like digging a two foot hole on solid concrete!......good ol' rocked-clay!! 

I hate to tell you this now but,,, they make a neat little post nest that pounds into the old posts, just cut the old ones off at the ground, position the spike on the bottom of the nest on the old post,and pound the *** out of it till its flush, when its flush, the end is 36" underground, conforms to code and no need to remove the old ones, saves much fishing time....
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56542681@N08/sets/
I sure do miss you guys.

piski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Quote from: FisHunter
Quote from: HDRich
Slow and steady is the way to go!!!
i don't learn that quick......but slow&steady i was a chippin'

Coincidentally, just watched Escape from Alcatraz last night - that's exactly how Frank Morris & the Anglin bros got out - chippin' away slow & steady.
BTW, Danglin, any relation to those Anglins?  :smt002

http://www.jaman.com/movie/Escape-Alcatraz/0XcoNBrraic0/
Catch & Repeat

mickfish

• Global Moderator
  • Fish & Chill
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Adam I got 100 feet to do plus a gate but the soil is primo come on up you can have the dirt
Group IQ is inversely proportional to the size of the group.

A Steelhead always knows where he is going, but a Man seldom does.

calbear

• Salmon
  • Waylon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Don't forget to use a post level and string line if you want your project plumb/level and straight. Good luck
Motorized boats are for the lazy limp d!%k$

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • View Profile
I hate to tell you this now but,,, they make a neat little post nest that pounds into the old posts, just cut the old ones off at the ground, position the spike on the bottom of the nest on the old post,and pound the *** out of it till its flush, when its flush, the end is 36" underground, conforms to code and no need to remove the old ones, saves much fishing time....
[/quote]
impossible! or impossible for me to do!......the surrounding ground/bedrock was damned near as hard as the post cement.  Pounding it in and trying the end up with a level post sounds VERY DIFFICULT(for me)

Don't forget to use a post level and string line if you want your project plumb/level and straight. Good luck
i thought this was regular pratice.....one built without a level would sure look like crap when completed.
Take a look and tell me what you think?   and i' never even took wood class in school.

pic1~ i even had to get technical and go over this cinder wall

pic2~ had to mechanical and hammer drill out the slab next to it. Attached retaining wall/ new wood to it.Then pour and set the post in front of it.

pic3~ sistered a new 4x4 to the exsisting one with bolts/nuts and lagged to retaining boards

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 02:59:07 PM by FisHunter »

piski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Take a look and tell me what you think?   and i' never even took wood class in school.

You're hired!  :smt003
Catch & Repeat

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • View Profile
Take a look and tell me what you think?   and i' never even took wood class in school.

You're hired!  :smt003
Thanks!.....and now i understand why it's so expensive to pay someone to do this stuff, It's back-breaking!

pic1~ the exsisting wall is slightly bending, so i had to shim the new 4x4 and sister it up to the short post.

pic2~ almost done(with the fallen down section of 50') and then another 100ft to go!

calbear

• Salmon
  • Waylon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Excellent job, FishHunter, and you're right about levels and string line being common sense but you'd be surprised what some people do. My brother-in-law is a Gen. contractor and we built a super nice custom house by the beach last year. With the economy not so great the homeowner hired some less expensive labor to build a small fence in his courtyard. Well, long story short we just finished ripping it out and replacing it a few weeks ago. Crooked as a question mark. They used douglas fir :smt012 to frame it (w/ redwood fence boards), and even ran out of galvy nails and started using regular nails instead of going to buy more galvanized. There is no way they used levels or string. I was just scratching my head in awe at the mickey mouse job. Sometimes it's true "You get what you pay for." The homeowner is a nice guy and got screwed for trying to save a buck. Anyways, nice work there. You've passed inspection, sir :smt003 I can see the string on top in the last pic, right on
Motorized boats are for the lazy limp d!%k$

Squidder K

• On the 7th day God created fishing!
  • Sea Lion
  • Old Squidder's never die!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I saw the big old iron bar and it reminded me of "Ivanhoe,"  the bar I had when I lived in FL.  Had to dig up some of the Palmetto Palms, they have an unbelievable root system.  Brought back memories, uhm none of em good.

Kevin Storm
"A bad day fishing, still beats a good day of work!"
Hobie Quest
Necky Kyook
Hero's on the Water
Veteran 36th Infantry Division "The Fighting Texans"
Patriots Fan since 1967
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+artillery+song

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • View Profile
Thanks calbear! i take pride in all i do and work on,even when a picture gets hung in the house, it gets measured&leveled, as my wife looks and shakes her head. Hearing of a fence getting built and no leveling?  should be o.k. back in the old west days, but now?....why?

once again THANKS and it's good to know i did pass the inspection! :smt003

HDRich

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
Adam,

Yes my son, you passed the test. With flying colors.. Not bad for a fishing fanatic who goes postal when someone jacks his NCKA handle!! :smt044 I remember that incident and no it was NOT me!!!

The only thing I sometimes do differently when hanging the 1x8's is if I want no gaps between the boards is I'll let them dry for a few weeks before nailing them or screwing them to the 4x4's. Did yours "bleed" quite a bit after you secured them?

Rich

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • View Profile
Adam,

Yes my son, you passed the test. With flying colors.. Not bad for a fishing fanatic who goes postal when someone jacks his NCKA handle!! :smt044 I remember that incident and no it was NOT me!!!

The only thing I sometimes do differently when hanging the 1x8's is if I want no gaps between the boards is I'll let them dry for a few weeks before nailing them or screwing them to the 4x4's. Did yours "bleed" quite a bit after you secured them?

Rich
Remember that?!   the nerve of that guy! :smt003

Thanks for passing me Rich! the boards did dry for a couple weeks(not by plan), some were dryer than others, so I tried to snug them up tight.

Tote

• One life, right? Don't blow it.
  • Global Moderator
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Hire someone??? Never!!!
Great job Adam. I would have suggested the Tote method of fence building; no holes to dig, no cement to pour and no wood in the ground; until I saw the elevated fence. Not sure it would have worked there. I would have to see it in person to tell.
Nice engineering on your part.
I feel your pain. Becky and I did this stretch, 210 feet, from nothing to the last nail in 9 hours and 56 minutes. Kicked my @ss but worth it.
<=>

anything