Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:21:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 23, 2024, 11:40:20 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:50:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

by Rick
[April 23, 2024, 06:21:18 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 05:53:10 PM]

by &
[April 23, 2024, 05:23:24 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 06:24:32 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 05:23:36 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 04:53:56 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: My Swim(s) at GMS III  (Read 7930 times)

surfingmarmot

Man, NCKA trips are sure getting "interesting"--I am sorry work and family and mountaineering/sierra fishing have crimped my fishing to the point I don't get in the ocean with you folks any more. That and the inspections at local lakes keeps me off them too.

First I am just glad it had at good ending--kayak accidents in the North Pacific don't always--and it was good to see everyone working together. SwellRider had some very important things to say. Kayak rescue training, safety equipment, safety checks,getting the swimmer on someone's deck ASAP, and floatation are key. ery single kayak should have a bilge pump on board and floatation fore and aft. Every person should have a working (tested before launch) fully-charged marine VHF radio and know how to use it. A whistle and a few flares is a great idea as well. Nuff said. I don't want to armchair quarterback it any more than that.

FYI: Maybe some of you remember the rescue practice Scott Thornley and I and others organized at Steven's Creek reservoir a few years back--the pics are somewhere. I still have them as well. The traditional flip and dump T rescue is problematic with fishing kayaks because the decks are full of gear--these aren't sleek and clean closed deck boats. We were surprised how hard it was in the calm waters of the reservoir to lift and drain the boat--in the ocean it might have been impossible. Pumping was probably better once everyone was clear of the rocks and the swimmer was safely on board a vessel.

prowlingNorCal

• Kim
  • Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2007
Hi Al,

This is my worst fear and as a girl it is made even worse. I am soooooo glad the good guys of NCKA were there for you. Wow. I am part of a great group of people. I may not be one of the "guys" but I know I would be there for anyone in trouble and glad you are okay!!!!

Kim
Love it!

HDRich

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
Kim,

"Guys" is a generic term, meaning a member of NCKA :*)!!  of course you're one of the guys!!!!!

Rich

Hi Al,

This is my worst fear and as a girl it is made even worse. I am soooooo glad the good guys of NCKA were there for you. Wow. I am part of a great group of people. I may not be one of the "guys" but I know I would be there for anyone in trouble and glad you are okay!!!!

Kim

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
Hi Al,

Kim

Kim you just re-affirmed my feelings about NCKA and the ppl that are part of it. Awww sure your one of the "guys"
-Eric Berg

Salty.

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Pardon me if I missed the post or thread that explained exactly why the "man overboards" occured but I sure would like to know what caused each incident so this doesn't happen to me or any NCKA member. Thanks, jim.

piski

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Pardon me if I missed the post or thread that explained exactly why the "man overboards" occured but I sure would like to know what caused each incident so this doesn't happen to me or any NCKA member. Thanks, jim.

Jim, it all begins on the Gimme Shelter III report:  http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,17965.0.html
You'd have to kind of scroll through to find relevant posts but pg 13 has a video & some info. Not sure if it was ever determined exactly why the yak was taking on water (possibly a defect) but it was leaking, causing it to become unstable, etc. A bunch of lessons learned from that day.
Catch & Repeat