Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:51:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:42:13 AM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:47:21 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 11:34:08 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:44:18 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 09:12:36 PM]

[March 28, 2024, 07:11:09 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Near Tradjedy at the Cleaning Station  (Read 2897 times)

sackyak

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
My habbit is to trim the spines using kitchen shears before cleaning the fish but I had forgotten my shears and my favorite filet knife was packed away deep so I pulled out a kit of camping kitchen knives that had I really sharp 8 in filet blade and got to work.  The blade had a serrated part near the base so I sawed at a few spines to see what it would take to remove them.  I hacked at it a little and poked myself so I decided to reevaluate.  I had had most of the dorsal fin off and was up to the two big spines but man this fish was really bleading alot..........Holy shit Batman, I mean Constance, I think I slit my wrist...............

At this point a person I know but only enconter during emergencies and highly stressful work situations took over my body and I was "in charge of the situation."  I grabbed my wrist and applied immediate pressure while I elevated it.  I told C and N that this was important but not to panic.  I told Constance to come over hand help me rinse and I told Natalie to get the fist aid kit from the car since she was closest.  The blood was rinsed off my hand and I lifed my thumb to take a look not bad for about 1/2 a second then blood all the way down my hand.  Grabbed it again and sat down to stay calm all the while elevating it.  I directed Natalie to reload the car just in case and to distract her and Constance began extracting supplies from the First aid kit.  A little more rinsing and cleaning we were able to pin point a location and a 1/4 inch wide but 1/2 inch or deeper wound.  It pulsed with blood when I did not hold it tight.  Direct pressure stopped it thought and it did not hurt bad.  We dressed the wound and all took a deep breath.  The van was mostly reloaded and we considered our situation.  Did we need to seek emergency care or was the fisrt aid we did OK and good to go?  Were would we go for such emergency care around here?  We decided that since the pain was not bad and the bleeding was appearently stopped by the dressing, we would take a wait to make any decision.

I sat and drank a cool ice tea.  At this point my normal personality returned along with my misplaced priorities.  I really wanted to clean those fish and get those filets on ice.  I skipped the spine removal and cleaned and filleted the fish one by one while Constance worked the hose and tap at the cleaning station.  When I was finished the dressing was soaked through with my blood and when we changed it the bleeding had stopped.

We found a site and checked into camp and I think at that point I was kind of spent because Constance and Natalie did most of the work, I just kind of sat around.  I am not sure how much blood I lost but I really felt very lethargic.  Maybe I was just tired from getting up at 4:30 AM.  The next day one of our friends an MD arrived, evaluated our first aid and declaired me good to go but advised to keep the wound closed and clean.

The worst part of this story is that during the excitement, I needed to remove my watch in order to appy the dressing.  The only way to remove it was a quick dump as I lifed my thumb from the cut briefly then replaced it.  I did not think of dumping it on the car seat as I did not want blood all over the car so it hit the pavement.  This watch is a Rolex Sumariner a gift from the widow of a friend who passed away and has great emotional value.  It is waterproof to 2000 fathoms and is appropriate to ware for water sports and diving.  Well this watch does not like hard impacts on the pavement and the repair shop is estimating $400 for the repair.a

Be careful even after you are off the water especially in remote areas.  When all the excitement was over I was able to talk to a ranger and asked about the nearest Emergency facilities.  They are in Guala about 20 miles to the north.   
Etienne

ganoderma

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
This watch is a Rolex Sumariner a gift from the widow of a friend who passed away and has great emotional value.  It is waterproof to 2000 fathoms and is appropriate to ware for water sports and diving.  

Hmmm, why would you need a watch to be waterproof at a depth of 12,000 feet? That's a bit deep to be diving!
- Ganoderma

Santa Cruz

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
that sounds painful, glad you are Ok, but the question I have is:  did you cut the main arteries/veins and how many stitches did you get?
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Whoa dude!
Although you posted this a while back, I just barely read it today.
Wow, Etienne, sounds like this was close to being a very gnarly cut. Next time...take the time to look for the good fillet knife before going to work on the fish, huh?
And its always good to know where the closest emergency facilities are...a minor detail that I always overlook. Where were you camping? Sounds like up the coast somewhere.

Remember, chicks dig scars. But they don't dig bandaging cuts.  :smt002

Take care, and glad you're OK,
PK
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

anything