Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:38:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:06:12 AM]

[Today at 10:05:24 AM]

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Surf Class and Outback demo  (Read 722 times)

Frenchy

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
No fishing for me today but went to Moss Landing for a surf kayak class with David from Kayak Connection. Great start and great instructor but the waves were kind of bad for a beginner like me and we had to go back. So I guess I will have to reschedule :-)

On the way back, i stopped by Santa Cruz to demo the Outback as I'm considering switching to the dark side. Demo is only in the harbor so were not able to go out to test how it handles the swell but I have to say that it felt a bit weird not to use a paddle. When I saw people holding to their Hobie at GS11 while I was using my paddle to manage the waves and my balance, I wanted to get a better feel...
Anyway, wondering if such weird feeling is normal the first time you tried a Hobie and that after a couple of trips it gets better?
I was concerned about the pedal reach as I'm pretty short but it was good. I was also concerned about the deck space because of the drive but it was ok. But no pole (and my main interest is hand free fishing) and didn't try to land fish (wondering if the line gets tangled into the drive...).
I might have to take one on a fishing trip to get a better idea before I can decide. Maybe renting one for a day would be a good idea.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 09:24:11 PM by Frenchy »

Mash

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I was thinking about the Outback too, but my brother convinced me to get the pro angler. He said I'd regret it in a year if I got the outback. So I got the PA 12 and it's a great kayak! See you in Santa Cruz sometime.

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
Outbacks suck for surf.  So I limit my surf entries and exit.  It could be because I make it more top heavy and it always seems to be picked up by waves and turned sideways in a perfect position to roll.  I usually just get close to shore and jump out and walk it in. 

The pedals legs are adjustable so you can move them closer or further from the seat. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

The new feel is pretty normal.  Balancing act is different between paddle and pedal yak.  It will go away (at least for me anyway).  As far as tangle, you can pull out the drive if need be.  I would worry more about sea weed/debris than line tangle if I were you.

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Hey Frenchy, you've seen me in my Revo-16 and I just bought an Outback mostly for my wife, but as a 2nd fishing boat for me and any fishing buddies.  One of the things I've recently read is the annoying issue of how the Outback's hull tends to make it rise up and over chop rather than cutting through it, which then manifests itself as chop slap or a gnarly ride in rough conditions.

This might be overcome by putting one's battery as far forward as possible, along with any other payload so as to help keep that bow down, but since reading about that I am realizing how well behaved my Revo-16 is in the windy, rough conditions that are so common here. Yes, the Outback is super stable, but after only a few outings, you'll have a good feel for how to manage a narrow boat like the Revo's (keep you head over the boat's centerline), so a Revo would work quite well for you, especially since you are a small guy like me.  Another way of looking at this good behavior is that because of my Revolution-16's seaworthiness, speed, and power, I am comfortable fishing in more challenging conditions and at otherwise inaccessible locations; that = more fishing for me!  Remember, there is a reason that sea kayaks have been designed as they are, and those parameters apply to the Revo's.

From your comment, it seems like you are planning on mostly salt fishing, right?  If so, I would opt for the Revo-13 or Revo-16 before the Outback. FYI, Sunrise Sports in Livermore is having a Retirement sale and their Hobie's are on sale for 20% off, tomorrow the discount will be 25% off.  All this said, I haven't yet had a chance to take the Outback into our tough local conditions...more on that later.

Str8FishiN

• DEPTH SQUAD
  • Sea Lion
  • #hobiefishing
  • View Profile Hobie Fishing
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Come pick up my 2017 Outback during the week and take it to HMB to slay Chrome.  You can even borrow my salmon rigs!  I just need it back by before Friday because we have a date with big fish.   :smt003
"Success if living the life you love" -MOOCH

HamachiJohn

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Come pick up my 2017 Outback during the week and take it to HMB to slay Chrome.  You can even borrow my salmon rigs!  I just need it back by before Friday because we have a date with big fish.   :smt003

I have a Revo, but I'd like to borrow your Outback just so I can borrow your salmon rigs!  :smt003
Down to 1 Hobie Revo...

poulton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
The funny feeling goes away in about 1/2 hour
My first demo it was weard with no paddle for awhile
Been out on two fishing trips and like the outback
I am 240 lb
Revo felt tippy to me on flat water. But tried in rough and it was good.
Need to do a revo trip

Check out CCK Events the do hobie trips and the guys were great
You get good feel after 4 hrs in Kayak
Cheers

agoodhi

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
if you are not in a rush, i would demo the new hobie compass too!  i just wish my OB was a bit lighter

DG

• Sea Lion
  • First joined in 2013
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014

This might be overcome by putting one's battery as far forward as possible, along with any other payload so as to help keep that bow down, but since reading about that I am realizing how well behaved my Revo-16 is in the windy, rough conditions that are so common here. 
Weighing down the front doesn't help.  When I dive I have put a 10lb anchor and a 20 lb weight belt in the front hatch area of my outback and if you are going into the wind or waves the front in is going to pick up and slam down.  It's wider and will still pick up with the wave. 

I go out a lot when it's windy and when waves are big and rarely is it slamming real hard or annoying.  It just depends on the direction you are traveling and if it's into the waves or wind chop. 
-----------------------------------
NorCAL HOW Volunteer

2018 NCKA - DOTY Committee Member

2017 DOTY 2 biggest fish awards
2016 DOTY 2nd place / 4 biggest fish awards
2016 Triton X - 2nd place
2016 Triton Open - Biggest Lingcod
2014 DOTY - 1 biggest fish award

anything