Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 09:42:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:35:28 PM]

[Today at 09:34:00 PM]

[Today at 09:28:09 PM]

[Today at 07:44:11 PM]

[Today at 04:54:29 PM]

[Today at 03:55:19 PM]

[Today at 02:08:42 PM]

[Today at 01:54:14 PM]

[Today at 11:53:02 AM]

[Today at 11:47:27 AM]

[Today at 10:36:28 AM]

[Today at 10:19:30 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 09:28:20 PM]

[April 14, 2024, 11:07:25 AM]

[April 14, 2024, 07:39:42 AM]

[April 13, 2024, 05:09:58 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 12:52:23 PM]

[April 13, 2024, 11:43:58 AM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:13:23 PM]

[April 12, 2024, 10:01:01 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Almost sliced my fingers off when rockfishing  (Read 3052 times)

• Fishing is the perpetual series occasion of hope.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Steph, if you snag again (or should I say when?) try wrapping the line around the nob that holds the paddle bungee on your Hobie.

Don't do this. It could easily roll your kayak.
Some wrap it around their fish bonker. I just thumb the reel.
Yup just Thumb on the reel and make sure you toghten your drag.
Live today for tomorrow's sake.
We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

• Old school or no school.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2014
damn!

/spools off all braid and replaces with mono, replaces paddling gloves with chain mail....
14' Necky Dolphin, fast and wiggly, no room for anything.
Old Mitchell reel junkie.

SOMA

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Steph, if you snag again (or should I say when?) try wrapping the line around the nob that holds the paddle bungee on your Hobie.

Don't do this. It could easily roll your kayak.

Not when you steer directly away from the snag and use you drive to apply pressure.

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I always have 30lb (used to use 20lb) leader or topshot - only once I had to cut line (ironically, it has happened at last Simply Fishing just before I went in - I was too tired and got too close to the rock, so figured it's not worth it)

I used to loose lots of jigs, but with time found that going around snag and trying different angles usually gets me unsnag. I'm doing hard pulls as well as bow and arrow. Of course, this is if you have time. But this is also how I got my pb 24" cab last month, after dealing with snag for at least 5 min.

As a rule I'm not wiring any lines to kayak after all the stories of catching whales (downrigger is a special case), I would consider lower rating leader/topshot if you can't break off the one you have.

Otherwise - at the depth we are usually fishing if you cut it you are only loosing 30-60' of line, not sure if it's worth the risk of flipping or breaking the rod (or cutting fingers ;)
2015 TI
2017 Outback

pmmpete

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
If you put your thumb on the reel of a level wind reel, be sure to put it on the back of the reel!  Once I was pedaling away from a snagged lure with my rod pointing straight back along the line.  I was holding the rod under my armpit with my hand above the reel. The reel started to slip, so I put my thumb on the reel.  The line handler moved sideways and clamped on my thumb!  I jerked my thumb out in time, but could have gotten pinched pretty badly.

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Holey smokes that could have been a disaster!!
I use my fish bonker or the reel as suggested by others.
I have been cut by thin mono so many times, and the braid is about 8x stronger per diameter, treat it like a knife...
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Great reminder to have a knife immediately accessible to either hand.

+1
Please don't spoil my day, I'm miles away...

Mienboy

• there's two sides to every story
  • Sea Lion
  • America, if you don't love it leave it
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
One reason I don't like to use braid,I'm one of the very few people who is "anti braid".never ever a good idea to wrap any body parts to braid.on land or water.glad you still got all your digits
My biggest worry is that my wife(when I'm dead)will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it

VK

my Mother `s side are commercial fishermen once when fishing with my Nonno I was  young kid about 8-9..  hook and line for fun  even though I was using mono  grabbed the line and twisted it around my hand to work the line...he smacked the shit outta me  and in broken English chewed me out  about getting cut up..have to say never did it again..always use a kill stick or wrap it on the rod handle ( Before I kayak fished) and pop it or just frikkin cut it
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:38:44 AM by VK »

tiny

• Striper
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2009
FOR SOME REASON A LESSON FROM A SMACK LASTS A LIFE TIME.MUST BE A GENERATION THING.THANKS FOR THE LAUGH VIC.GLAD YOUR O.K.STEPH.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 12:41:09 PM by tiny »
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve,not by the desire to beat others-Ayn Rand

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 urban camo
RTM Abaco orange and black   HELL YEAH

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Yeah, time out, not so much....... :smt004
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

StephKillsit

• Sea Lion
  • Not yakin just yet but I still yak in other ways!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Yeah, time out, not so much....... :smt004

Yeah the only time outs back in the 1960's ..were during sporting events

Now that's funny!  :smt044 :smt044
2012 Hobie Revo 13
Intex Seahawk 2

Thank you all for your support!! I’m so glad to still be ALIVE!! Weather on land or water I LOVE YOU ALL!!

eiboh

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
breaking braid line can be tricky. if there's no tension on the line wrapping around a handle a couple times and pointing it at the Snag so as not to break the fishing rod kayaking in ocean involves putting your fishing rod in the soup. in the rivers its all about putting fishing rod over your shoulder Pointed at the snag and walking away from it. Braided is tough when main line is the problematic where your tring To Break. I think I've got all my fingers with braid before and I cussed at myself glad I never wrapped around my finger. that's what the site is all about sharing information. thanks Stephankilst for bringing this to light

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Thanks Steph for a couple of good lessons: 1. Never wrap line around your fingers.  2. Always have a good knife easily accessed on your PFD.  I have a Gerber survival knife in a sheath thats easy to remove when needed quickly.   I'm sure the are many similar knives available.  The Gerber is stainless steel and has a simple locking mechanism in the sheath that requires minimal effort to remove it.  It also has a blunt tip, making it a little less prone to a stabbing accident.

Da Bruddah

• Salmon
  • Da Bruddah with my son Gabe, Whitefish, Montana
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2013
I always join my 40# braid with 30-50ft of 25# mono so that I can break the line if it's a gonner snag. I also like to have the mono as I connect my leaders or rigs as it is much easier to handle and braid is so hard to handle with your hands when you're out in the ocean changing rigs. Right now I have 50' of 25# Berkley Trilene Big Game mono joined to the 40# braid. When I see the knot to the braid, I know that 50' of line has gone down. I use double uni knots to join the mono to the braid.
Aloha,
Da Bruddah
Enjoy this slide show that were taken today:
Link to Point San Pablo Yacht Harbor-7/15/17 NCKA Fishing Tournament:

Link to 7-15-17 Striper?Hali Tournament Slideshow:

http://play.smilebox.com/SpreadMoreHappy/4e4455314d6a51344e7a5a384d5441304f4445324e7a63780d0a

2016 Hobie Revo 13
2014 Hobie Oasis Tandem

anything