Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:25:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:17:00 AM]

[Today at 08:02:19 AM]

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Swift Water Safety Skills  (Read 1438 times)

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
After my recent yard sale on the American River, I thought this topic might be useful. I would say that swift water has its own set of safety concerns. I believe it is something we should review and especially everyone before their first trip. Some things that are safety concerns on a lake, the delta or the ocean are multiplied because they can happen faster in swift water. Poles bungied behind me I would never expect to be a problem were close to me because the water pushed them my way. Many time I have cursed the trees that tangled with my poles and net for no reason except it's a PITA. This time it caused me to flip my kayak. Maybe we can come up with a list of swift water safety measures. I know I'd read it.  :smt006
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

NowhereMan

• Manatee
  • 44.5"/38.5#
  • View Profile YouTube Channel
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Sounds like a good idea---I'd read it too.
Born in Arizona
Moved to Babylonia
Got a condo made of stone-a

P-Sherman

• Sea Lion
  • I'm a p-sherman. Born to pish, porced to work.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Definitely ropes, lines, strings are one of the worst things to get tangled on in swift water. In swift water, I don't leash my fishing poles. One of the important things I learned from Mel is less is best , specially in swift water and ocean. Lakes are definitely more forgiving.

One of the most important equipment I always carry is my hooked rescue knife for cutting lines. A (blunt tip) knife attached to your vest is good, too.

I'll see if I can pull out one of my old training manuals to get more tip and I'm sure some people here will chime in, too.
John da P-Sherman
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 - Blue
Hurricane Skimmer 140 - Red

eelkram

• Sea Lion
  • it's my name, backwards
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
My firefighter/swift water rescue buddy told me... rule 1: face up, feet first, and keep feet up and pointed down river, always. Be prepared to kick/run over obstacles if you can't maneuver around. If you get caught/pinned on something, quite frankly, you're SOL and will likely drown if that happens as you won't be strong enough to get unstuck by yourself... so avoid getting stuck by following rule 1.
'15 Viking ProFish Reload, wasp
'11 Hobie Revo 13, skunk yellow
'12 Hobie Outfitter, dune (I'm the guy pedaling in the back)

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Here is how I rig for swift (ish) water:

Bare minimum

Extra stuff that I take:

Throw bag (remember that you shouldn't tie a rope to a rescuer)

feet up! feet first! swim to shore at roughly 45 degree angle. 

1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

Hydrospider

A timely thread.  I hope it gains some momentum.
Lots of hazards even without the distractions that fishing adds.

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

butete

• SCSS
  • Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Used to be river patrol on the south fork American last century...some things I made sure of are....

-don't panic

-swim aggressively away from hazards, strainers, rocks with feet up facing downstream
(so really you are swimming upstream at a ferry angle of 45degrees to the current)

-in current, do not attempt to stand up cuz this could cause a foot entrapment under a rock

-swim towards an eddy or calmer water

-if you cant get away from a rock, lunge up onto it before you get stuck so at least your head is above water

-no leashes , and all ends of straps/rope should not have long tails

-rig it to flip it!! when rigging your boat make sure everything is secure or expendable

-in high flows use a high float life jacket rated for the river, and make sure they are tight cuz on the river  I saw so many of them pop right off people or ride over their head making it difficult to swim.

Hydrospider

My top 3 river fishing resource recommendations.

"White Water Self Defense" (Kent Ford video)
It covers just about everything and the hosts take some heavy swims to show what not to do and how it should be done. Its applicable for any river adventure, even creek stomping. It's focused on how to survive the river and how to help your friends survive. It also demonstrates how to avoid and escape strainers so that you're not just "SOL". This is not a one and done video. I watch it every year and recommend it without reservation.

"River Kayak Fishing Skills" (Jeff Little video)
There is a TON of useful information here with some focus on fishing.
I do not agree with everything expressed, but overall this is a good video and also one that is helpful more than once.

Granny Annie's  book "Easy Waters of California" is a nice river resource (with maps) for kayak anglers, since it focuses on water that can be fished realistically without having to be completely on task navigating.
My first kayak was an Ann Dwyer boat I had bought 1988. Those early adventures in the Kopapa with the sons of the San Joaquin, inspired my paddling lifestyle.

I believe that composure, knowledge, and team are the 3 biggest factors in my survival but something that I would suggest for new river runners is to paddle swifter water for a full season before you ever bring fishing gear.
It was 9 years of paddling before I started fishing. While there is some regret that I didn't start sooner, the skills developed are appreciated now.

Hydrospider

Cleaning up the computer and deleting a lot of photos from this years adventures. When I came across this set I thought it was a good example of what can quickly go wrong in moving water. The video is a bit spooky to watch of this text book wrap, but our swimmer remained composed and handled the situation.

Hydrospider

The strainer. Not a great place to be.

Hydrospider

Another example where I find myself where I shouldn't be. Downstream is strainerville.

sebast

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
My top 3 river fishing resource recommendations.

"White Water Self Defense" (Kent Ford video)
It covers just about everything and the hosts take some heavy swims to show what not to do and how it should be done. Its applicable for any river adventure, even creek stomping. It's focused on how to survive the river and how to help your friends survive. It also demonstrates how to avoid and escape strainers so that you're not just "SOL". This is not a one and done video. I watch it every year and recommend it without reservation.

"River Kayak Fishing Skills" (Jeff Little video)
There is a TON of useful information here with some focus on fishing.
I do not agree with everything expressed, but overall this is a good video and also one that is helpful more than once.

Granny Annie's  book "Easy Waters of California" is a nice river resource (with maps) for kayak anglers, since it focuses on water that can be fished realistically without having to be completely on task navigating.
My first kayak was an Ann Dwyer boat I had bought 1988. Those early adventures in the Kopapa with the sons of the San Joaquin, inspired my paddling lifestyle.

I believe that composure, knowledge, and team are the 3 biggest factors in my survival but something that I would suggest for new river runners is to paddle swifter water for a full season before you ever bring fishing gear.
It was 9 years of paddling before I started fishing. While there is some regret that I didn't start sooner, the skills developed are appreciated now.
This looks exactly like my first california kayak experience on russian river in 2005. Except I did not have any suit or pfd. Did not think I'd be kayaking after that.
Cleaning up the computer and deleting a lot of photos from this years adventures. When I came across this set I thought it was a good example of what can quickly go wrong in moving water. The video is a bit spooky to watch of this text book wrap, but our swimmer remained composed and handled the situation.
2015 TI
2017 Outback

E Kayaker

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Thanks for adding to the topic. Are the videos online?
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=42846.msg470404#msg470404

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.  ~John Buchan

P-Sherman

• Sea Lion
  • I'm a p-sherman. Born to pish, porced to work.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Just in case someone is interested in getting more training.

This is where I've been getting my training.
http://rescue3.com

A lot of the swift water classes applies in the ocean as well.
John da P-Sherman
2015 Hobie Revolution 13 - Blue
Hurricane Skimmer 140 - Red