Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:31:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:14:58 AM]

[Today at 09:51:22 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[Today at 07:24:38 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:54:40 PM]

by jp52
[April 18, 2024, 02:25:47 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: MBK 2010 Derby Results (PHOTOS ADDED)  (Read 10019 times)

guitarzan

• Sea Lion
  • Its Madness.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2006
I have some video but dont think it will be a yuotube thing... here are my 2 shots.... Jeff/iroelikethat, not a good one but ....
and Allen/polepole with the little one, so cute!!
Elk 2008 Winner
Mooch strong
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56542681@N08/sets/
I sure do miss you guys.

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Sea Lion
  • The Art & Science of Fishing & Cooking
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
I also want to give a big shout out to one of my heros Great Bass 2!!! Scott that rod and reel you made for me did the trick! It's my new secret weapon (as long as my "good friends" don't help it walk away)  :smt044

Ebyekewabjeget
aka: Phillip

Phillip

Congratulations on a well deserved victory. You certainly know that area well. I think I met you OTW out of MBK a few years ago. Your handle is hard to forget???  :smt005 Glad the rod and reel are working out for you. I think there is a lot of good ju ju coming from the Pay It Foreward event. I have bagged 2 lings on the revo toro I won. Sorry I missed the MBK derby. I registered but my Saturday fishing adventure had some surf swimming and I spent Sunday cleaning equipment and trying to get sand out of my ears.  :smt044

Aaron

Kudos to MBK and the hard work you put into the derby. MBK has been a great supporter of kayak anglers. After yesterday, probably should take the surf zone class again.  :smt005

Scott
1st Place 2007 Kayak Connection Father's Day Derby
1st Place 2007 New Melones Trout Derby
1st Place 2011 Lake Berryessa Salmon Slam
1st Place 2011 Pay It Forward Taco Throw Down
1st Place 2011 Albion Open
1st Place 2012 & 2013 Central Coast Custom Lure Contest
1st Place 2013 The Simply Fishing Tournament

&

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2005
Nice, boys.  Real nice all around!  Congrats to the winner

Yosemite Rob

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Thanks to all who put this togeter, Good Times!

Lings came out where I never figured they would. fur bag loaded jetty and sandy practically kelp less bottom not far off shore.

I managed  few small rockies but they all went back, I tried to find some deep water, I think I was 2 miles out and still only in 150 fow. I had two good one load uop but came unbuttoned, one I was getting the net ready before I even saw it :smt013 another was off the jetty, but had to imagine a fb hit my line it was too explosive!

Good to meet cha all! I was beat getting home, left Placerville 2am to get there and was home at 9pm -Bullet run!
formerly Da roblo, Diroblo, white devil, etc..

FisHunter

• SonomaCoastSafetySquad
  • Manatee
  • Mooch Taught Me How To Live Life
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2006
Congrads Phil !!!   that is a nice looking yak&ling! 
You're all winners in my tourney.......and Phil, winning that sweet GB2 custom pole&reel combo and using it to win a Kayak, can only mean that = _ _ _ _ _ _ youFILLinTHEblank :smt004 
Be Safe, Not Sorry = B'ropeUpFool!

Winner of nothing but goodtimes with good friends.

Materalus

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
congratulations to the winners....I myself only got 1 rockfish.  pretty slow...but i finally got out on the ocean!   and the mandog barbecue wasnt bad either...

dpshim

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2010
First and foremost, thank you to MBK and Allen for putting together a wonderful event :D Very Happy This was my very first derby, as well as Ryan's, and I can say that we had a blast!!

I'm sorry Ryan that you had to settle with 2nd place. But being this is your very first derby and newbie to kayak, you have to give yourself a pat on the back. I am very very proud of you lil brother!! :D

Phil, congrats on taking the grand prize; competition was pretty intense. And to win it by 1 oz!! WTG!!

To all the NCKA fam: Jed, Pat, Allen, Aaron, Ray, Eugene, Nathan, Tiny, Al, Eric, Andy, Chucky, and those names I've forgotten (my apologies): you are all awesome bunch of friends!! :D Very Happy Thank you for making Ryan and I feel at home amongst the family.

Last, but not least Joel: It was a great honor to have finally properly introduced myself to you :D Very Happy Your big warm heart and love was felt by all of us. Much love to you brother!!

I can't wait to see you all again soon!!

- Daniel

1st place winner Phil and 2nd place winner Ryan aka LingKing

Living up to the name LingKing :D 32" 13lbz14oz ling & 24" 8lbs6oz Cabzilla.

1st & 2nd fighting over a hot dog

mooch

• 2006 Angler of the Year
  • Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Joel: It was a great honor to have finally properly introduced myself to you  Very Happy Your big warm heart and love was felt by all of us. Much love to you brother!!

Thanks Daniel! It was great to meet you and Ryan as well!!! I'm sure I'll be seeing more of you guys soon enough!!

Many thanks to MBK for another awesome tourney! Special mention to Allen Bushnell and Aaron for all the hard work to make this event happen. A big thank you to Ocean Kayaks for the giving away a Trident 13!

Here are some On The Water (OTW) pics...

First Place Phil
Second Place Ryan
Third Place Jim

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
It was a pleasant surprise to see a familiar face in the crowd....an NCKA'er who now resides in Hawaii!

None other than JTF !!!  Howzit brah :smt006

mooch

• Manatee
  • Cancer Fighter
  • View Profile
Had a great time hanging out with Ben / Guitarzan Saturday night at the MBK parking lot. Despite the lack of sleep that I got, I manage to get my self motivated enough to go out and participate at the event instead of just sitting on the sidelines. I took my time gearing up and finally made it to the shoreline. And as I paddled out, I felt ALIVE again. I felt a sudden surge of energy as I made my way towards the Hotel - trolling a big deep diving plug in about 15 FOW. I felt the plug digging into the sand and that was a good enough sign for me to continue my course. Didn't make it all the way to the Hotel and decided to try the yellow can for RF instead. Saw a few of the fellas out there and witnessed Jim pull his Third place ling right in front of me! Jim, Congrats on your first ocean trip and taking Third on your first kayak tourney :smt023  So I hung around for a few hours and convinced the smallest rockfish in the tourney to bite my locanus jig (released) :smt044 Hey at least I finally caught my first rockfish of the year  :smt003

*Thanks to Allan B. for putting me on a Trident 11....it was really nice to be paddling again!!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 08:23:51 PM by Mooch »

Frankfishing

To every one of you who won... Congrats! Allen,Aaron, and MBK thanks for all  you did. Prize of the day was fishing with tiny and I had a great time. Treat of the day was the predawn smiles of JTF who is always a blast to be around. Mooch I am glad to see you can still catch bait...Love ya Frank
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 09:41:09 PM by Frankfishing »

Sin Coast

• AOTY committee
  • Global Moderator
  • Pat Kuhl
  • View Profile Turf Image
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
Thanks MBK for putting this event on--it is very appreciated. Also thanks to Bushnell (there's just too many dang allens nowadays so I'm gonna say Bushnell for now on!). And Thanks to Aaron for doing all the behind the scenes & behind the grill work! Congrats to Phil! Catching the winning fish on the custom GB2 rod is pretty cool too. And to Ryan and Jim too! That had to be the most ling-filled MBK derby yet! The 10th Place fish would've won 2 years ago.

I fished on Sat w/Al and Sara. We scouted the area for bait but couldn't find any sardines. So we went for dabs, then RF out by the mile buoy. Along the way, I hooked a sealion that towed me like 10mph all the way back to the wharf. I had to cut the line unfortunately, so now this poor thing has approx 140ft of braid hanging from its face. I felt bad about that. But hopefully it'll be OK and learn not to bite a FRB salmon rig behind a 4oz sinker and dodger. Evolution's a bitch lol. Fishing was slow and we got a few rockies, a mess of dabs, and I got a few nice little lings that donated some octopi to the cause.
On Derby day, we decided to go big = halibut or nothin! So we slow-trolled sardine pops outside the surfline all the way north past the beach hotel. At one point, we must've found a nice patch of sand because we got 4 solid halibut hits in 30 minutes in the same area. But each time they'd chomp my sardine in half right behind the treble stinger! Unfortunately, I had to take a dump super bad...so I busted ass back to the launch and relieved myself (my sincerest apologies to the 5 people who were impatiently waiting outside the bathroom for about 10-15 minutes..and all those whom succeeded me). Although I considered pulling a ryan and dumping in the ocean...lucky for the fish I was wearing my waders lol!  
Long story short, no halibut for me! But that's OK because I still had a great time w/the NCKA family. These things are starting to be like family reunions! Looking forward to the next one!
PK

~ain't nothin wrong~~with a little ling lovin~~

« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 09:48:01 PM by Sin Coast »
Photobucket Sucks!

Team A-Hulls

~old enough to know better, young enough to not care~

EWB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2008
I had to take a dump super bad...so I busted ass back to the launch and relieved myself (my sincerest apologies to the 5 people who were impatiently waiting outside the bathroom for about 10-15 minutes..and all those whom succeeded me). Although I considered pulling a ryan and dumping in the ocean.

what an A-HULL!
-Eric Berg

LapuLapu

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
I'm glad I decided to join the tournament at the last minute even though I didn't win anything.  I really enjoyed my first MBK tournament and I hope there is more to come.  Thanks to Allen and Aaron for putting this together for us.  This tournaments helps build camaraderie and allows more of us to get to know each other.  I'm slowly getting really hooked to this madness and sometimes I don't know why.  But I hope it does not fade because I love the ocean.  Glad to meet some new faces at the tournament.  I see a lot of excitement with those new blood like dpshim, kingling and tiny.

Congrats to Phil, Ryan and Jim.  Phil, not sure why you fillet that Ling.  Your wife is going to wonder where all that fish went.   Hope you save her the head.  You know how we much we like making fish soup.  Looking forward to the next tournament and see all you mad dogs out there.  Andy thanks for the beer and glad to see you Mooch!  I got more pictures and should be posting them soon.

Rey

Goz

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
Thanks to MBK/Allen for hosting such a fun event, and to the NKCA family for making me feel welcome :smt001. Congrats to Phil and Ryan. Those were some quality Lings.
I was fortunate to get 3rd (sunglasses), not knowing what to expect. I'd only paddled a couple of times at Loch Lomond in a SIK. After lurking ( I mean gathering info) around this site for a while, I bought a T-13 last week and haven't stopped spending $$$ since.
I'll apologize in advance for not remembering everyone's name, I met so many of you. Guess I'll just have to fish with with you again until I get it right.
Don and Allen, I appreciate you both letting me use your Wheelz, I bought a set from MBK that day, and they let me use my sunglasses as a credit.
Mooch, thanks for the photo.
I knew it was going to be a good day when I was pulled over for speeding by one of Monterey's finest as I pulled into the parking area at MBK :smt013, and she let me go :smt044. Man, that was close, I was guilty.
See you on the water, Jim
Formally "jimgosc"

1st Estero Kayak Challenge Champion
3rd place MBK Derby 2009
3rd place Kayak Connection Tourney 2013

Kayak Connection Fishing Team member

Let's go fishin', and don't look back, cuz you'll never see a hearse with a kayak rack!