Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:09:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 03:17:35 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: "Spinning" Lingcod  (Read 6072 times)

ClarkT

• Sand Dab
  • Got Tuna?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Hi, I wanted to ask how folks manage their catch that are "green" onboard their kayaks?   I hooked up on a very aggressive lingcod this weekend and had a heck of a time controlling the fish on board the kayak.   The fish was right around the 22 inch size minimum so I tried very carefully to avoid harming the fish (no gaff and no net).   While trying to hold the fish and measuring it, the fish went bezerk in  a wild spin and I could not control it at all ( I think we've all seen that before)   :smt002.   The ling ended up leaving it's mark on my finger--which was enough for me to say "you've earned your freedom" and I kicked it overboard to live another day.

Any tips would be really appreciated from the experts out there! :)

thanks
ClarkT

Bird

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2006
http://kayakfishinggear.com/thefishgrip-madeintheusa-newcolorspinkandglowinthedark.aspx

Pick-up a Fish Grip - cheap and effective.  Or could go with a BogaGrip which are more expensive but high quality with scales.

ravensblack

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
That little ole thang? Gloves
"I always entertain great hope" Robert Frost

Jedmo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
Yeah, I would go with the Fish Gripper bro. I hope your finger heal fast.

Jedmo
1st place GS3 2009
7th place AOTY 2009

PISCEAN

• no kooks please!
  • Sea Lion
  • humming to the bear...
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2005
Pony up for a boga grip and put a float on it. The advantage of the boga over the plastic grippers is that the fish can spin all it wants to without harm. On the plastic "pliers-type" grippers I have seen fish injured when they spin off (broken jaws on lingcod).
Still, some fish will always find a way to get you.
pronounced "Pie-see-in"
"Every day is a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day"-Countryman
sponsored by: Piscean Artworks
Randomness rules the universe. Perseverance is the only path to success..but luck sometimes works too.

Fuzzy Tom

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2005
Tight fitting thin nitrile coated fabric work gloves (Pro-Build lumber store) - I can tie knots with them on, hooks can get through,but you need to push them pretty hard to do so. 
   Lip gripper, never a net for ling- cuts into fishing time trying to untangle.

rockfish

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
one more vote for lip gripper of some sort.  I really like the "econo-scale" that bass pro carries.  $25 and it comes with a scale.  I have mine on a short leash and when a fish goes beserk I can just drop it in the water and let it spin on the string a sec, then haul its butt back on board  :smt001

as far as bite marks...my hands are perpetually chewed up, so I dont know what to say  other than, looks like you were catching some fish  :smt044

jim
Less Mental than before, Still savage AF tho <3

IG: she_savagly_gardens

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
one more vote for lip gripper of some sort.  I really like the "econo-scale" that bass pro carries.  $25 and it comes with a scale.  I have mine on a short leash and when a fish goes beserk I can just drop it in the water and let it spin on the string a sec, then haul its butt back on board  :smt001

as far as bite marks...my hands are perpetually chewed up, so I dont know what to say  other than, looks like you were catching some fish  :smt044

jim

:smt003
I've had a couple of the econo scales, too - I like 'em a lot and am not too upset when I lose it due to the low price.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

e2g

• Sea Lion
  • 53 lb seabass
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2006
if you can afford it and not harming fish is your goal, the expensive boga is the best,  Like Piscean said, the swivel action prevents spinning fish from breaking there jaws.
Winner 2011 MBK Derby
Winner 2009 Fishermans Warehouse Santa Cruz Tournament
Winner 2008 MBK Derby

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
That little ole thang? Gloves

+1 or skip the gloves and HTFU

Pern

• Hobie Manyadik
  • Salmon
  • "LIBERI FATALI"
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
gloves and grip.. ditto.. or just throw it on the boat and break out the ol' billy  :smt044
I don't intend on winning any tourney's, I intend on fishing with the brother's OTW and having a good time while at it... NCKA!
Rockin' the... 2011 Hobie Mirage Revolution
Rocked the... 2009 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120
Rolled the... Perception Search 15

ClarkT

• Sand Dab
  • Got Tuna?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2009
Thanks everyone for the suggestions--I appreciate it!  Definitely need to pick up one of the fish grippers, probably one of the lower cost options.   I'd be totally upset if I dropped one of the Boga-grips overboard.      Got to respect those "choppers" on the lings and halibut!   :smt003

bwodun

Pony up for a boga grip and put a float on it. The advantage of the boga over the plastic grippers is that the fish can spin all it wants to without harm. On the plastic "pliers-type" grippers I have seen fish injured when they spin off (broken jaws on lingcod).
Still, some fish will always find a way to get you.
yeah i love the fact mine can spin until this morning when the ling went into the most aggresive power spin i have ever seen and wrapped the leader and line and broke off the lucanus and i watched it snap, fly away and sink, but the fish was fine, until the fish be good stick came out and i relived the stress of losing that lure :smt003

Dan V

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
I would not waste the few dollars one of the plastic grippers cost , this last spring small stripers (22-23")  would come loose of the plastic grippers with little effort !

Desertdiver

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
Good Grippers, then I use a metal locking stringer, gills through mouth to keep from gettin' poked or bit, and if really fiesty, blade the brain, or woodshampoom, actually retired old ab iron.
I know ...one more thing to get tangled in or  float away, just save the beer and fish.