Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:00:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:08:13 AM]

[Today at 07:24:53 AM]

[Today at 07:23:39 AM]

[Today at 07:16:05 AM]

[Today at 04:15:52 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 09:45:12 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 08:39:39 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 04:31:01 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 11:46:31 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:38:46 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 10:16:10 AM]

[April 24, 2024, 06:30:45 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:07:13 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:29:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 07:26:53 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:03:07 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 06:01:09 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 01:20:14 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:23:34 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 12:06:38 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Networking in NCKA / What do you do for a living? / post here  (Read 162228 times)

sactownpungo

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
I work for DFG at the nimbus hatchery. raising salmon and steelhead for us to catch

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • GetSome!!! Hell Yeah!!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
after reading all the pages there's a lot of techie dudes here along with the rest of the hard working crew...

Started logging in 76 full time, than some roughnecking because it paid more...pretty much done everything u can imagine...bartending...that was fun...Wyo...

One to many serious injury's in the woods got me into Pc's certified CNA and ya that's old hat...but learned software, hardware inside out and couldn't get a job...logger/roughneck/truckdriver/whatever in the bay area trying to get a techie job!!!  fell into selling Softubs strait commission for the last 20 yrs...and if u ever watched Seinfeld Kramer in a hot tub in his living room...that's what I sell!!!  If u want one let me know can get u a real discount!!!  A NCKA discount!!!

See Ya OTW..."Get Some" for the "Mooch"!!!
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Well...started out wanting to be Jacques Cousteau!!
 :smt005 :smt044
Spent some years doing maintenance, painting, and laying carpet...paid for my obsession at the time: Rock Climbing (spent several years living in my truck cruising the Western States climbing and visiting breweries...highlight of the time was an epic 7 days on Yosemite's El Capitan).

Then joined the Peace Corps and spent two years in the mountains of Nicaragua doing a variety of community service projects: digging latrines, organizing youth sports leagues, building a baseball stadium etc...

Stayed on an extra year in Nicaragua managing a beach bar and restaurant in a great little town just north of the Costa Rican border...GOOD times!! Sometimes I wonder why the hell I came home!!  :smt005

Did a couple years doing community outreach with the Migrant FarmWorking population in Watsonville...went back to school on nights and weekends and got my Masters in Social Work...

Used the degree to get a job with the USDA Forest Service in Idyllwild doing Partnership work...basically communtiy collaboration about the various land management decisions being made on Forest lands...really enjoyed my time doing this!!

Got married and Ana moved down to Idyllwild with me..she HATED it and missed Watsonville... :smt011

Did the right thing and moved back up North...no forests in Watsonville, but managed to transfer over to another Fed job with the Social Security Administration...

At first I was really bummed to be out of the woods and at a desk wearing a tie...but the job is steady and secure, I have a great staff, and we help a lot of people out...in a very important way: getting them their benefits on time!! We actually pay out more $$ in benefit checks every year to the residents of Watsonville than the Ag business does in paychecks...and there's a LOT of farm work done around here!!

Anyway, if you ever have any Social Security related questions I would be happy to try and answer them...can't actually make changes or work on records not assigned to my office, but can definitely provide info and insight...

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~
*DOTY: 2012-5th~2014-5th~2015-4th~2016-7th~2017-4th~2018-5th~2019-5th~2020-2nd*

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
Spent some years doing maintenance, painting, and laying carpet...paid for my obsession at the time: Rock Climbing (spent several years living in my truck cruising the Western States climbing and visiting breweries...highlight of the time was an epic 7 days on Yosemite's El Capitan).

hah we were probably on a similar track.I spent about 86 -90 on the same quest...minus the breweries cause that cost far too much $. Valley Spring/Fall, Toulumne Summer, Josh/Redrock winter...in the early 90s it was summers in tetons, wild iris, bugaboos...late 90s were all about Rifle

if the years were similar wouldn't suprise me one bit if we actually ran into each other a time or two

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile

hah we were probably on a similar track.I spent about 86 -90 on the same quest...minus the breweries cause that cost far too much $. Valley Spring/Fall, Toulumne Summer, Josh/Redrock winter...in the early 90s it was summers in tetons, wild iris, bugaboos...late 90s were all about Rifle

if the years were similar wouldn't suprise me one bit if we actually ran into each other a time or two

HAHA!!!

Yeah, I got the climbing bug when I started going to UCSC and all the guys in my dorms were from Mariposa...started hitting up the Valley and the Meadows, Tahoe Area, J-Tree for Thanksgiving/New Years...Road Trips to Smith in Oregon etc etc...

When I finished school in 97 I hit the road...spent a LOT of time out in Moab area on splitter cracks and towers, Squamish, Devils Tower, Red Rocks, Zion, Bishop, some nice winter months in Cochise outside of Tucson etc etc...

Good stuff...try and get on the rock now when I can but mostly it is a couple times a year taking buddies to an indoor gym or a bouldering session at Turtle Rock/Ring Mtn...

You ever want to get together and dust off the shoes and go pull down on something you let me know....see if my big 'ol butt can still get up some of the stuff I used to!!

:smt002 :smt005 :smt044

Sounds like you were more of a rope-gun than me with all that time at Rifle!! You lead I follow!!   :smt005 :smt044

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Dude U climb that's so cool...

I remember my 1st tech climb...boulder 81' my older bro was going to collage there and I pop in for a visit...he had taken a class...were sitting there drinking some suds...and he's like "dude u want to go make a climb???"  I'm saying no freaking was bro never done it..."come on, I lead u follow" alright lets go...we head up Eldarado canyon....we had to forge a raging river to get to the climb...Gorrilla Tit apted name...scared the freaking $hit out of me...we get to the base and Del my bro says...alright I'll climb and put in pro keep me on belay...yeah right!!!  So if you fall and I don't hold you u pretty much are paste right???  Your my brother he says You wont let me fall....alright lets do this....now we brought liquid refreshments along and we were feeling pretty good...  we made it all right but...Damn... got me hooked...met a girl in Ukiah back in the day it was TK mining Co...meat house...bets were on with this hotty, we start talking, she had recently popped off double cross Josha tree...and had stopped climbing...I'm like U got to get back ON!!!  Hell lets go, I'll take u, U lead I'll follow...get there and that climb has a huge line...so we do this secondary climb just as freaking nuts as the one she popped on...she lead I followed cleaning gear...she put shit in I could hardly get out...when it was done...freaking MONSTER FEELING!!!  Man I almost married that girl...props to girls that lead...

My Bro met his wife climbing, well in a bar...than climbing...LOL...and moved to Oakhurst...he's l4 miles to the gates of Yosimite...drags me up the "Nut Cracker" freaking reason they call it that....bro's what a they for but to drag u up some scary ass rock... :smt005  I'm hoping to meet a Yak moma that likes to fish more than i do!!!

Oh I went to look for my 8 ring and shoes and all I could find is my little friend!!!
It's all about Today!!! Because who knows what tomorrow will bring... so Better get OTW n GetSome

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
Nice story and picture Mike!! Glad you got a chance to say hello to your little friend!!  :smt005

I've done that NutCracker climb a few times...good stuff!!

I got all my crap shoved in my haulbag in the back of the garage...I think?

:smt005

Should bust that stuff out and sell it and get $$ for more fishing gear!!

:smt002 :smt004 :smt044

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
See when your my age u sell...dude your still FIT...man u could do El Cap in your sleep...maybe we'll do some bouldering sometime...I should snag my bro's gear...his wife forbids him no a days...kids and stuff... :smt002

Thx...

BigJim

• A-Hull
  • Manatee
  • No white flags.
  • View Profile
Dude, there is a sweet mellow bouldering spot in Marin called Turtle Rock/Ring Mountain...mellow hike to the rock, not too high, flat landing, great views, easy problems or harder eliminates/lunges...

http://www.supertopo.com/bouldering/Bay-Area-Bouldering-Ring-Mountain

Best part...Marin Brewing Company is right down the road!!!   :smt004 :smt044

http://www.marinbrewing.com/site/pages/brewery/

I'd be down to go up there again with you!!

Good alternative to fishing if you have a free day in the bay!!   :smt004

:smt006

Sincerely,

Jim

~GS4  2010-1st~
~DOTY 2013-1st~
~T2B2 2015-1st~

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Jim U have no Idea...well yes u do...u yak fish!!!  Rock Climb!!!  I'm an Adrenaline junky!!! looks sweet...yeah buddy...need to find my shoes/8 ring.... :smt003

I'm up for that...pre PIF...what are ya doing 16th??? I'm headed your way after my 2pm DUI class...that's right folks don't drink and drive if u want a life on this board.... :smt005

Way out of shape but have been known to pull off some 5.11 moves while bouldering :smt005 :smt002 :smt004 and since u will be driving... :beer3  I love micro brews...and do support the local economy!!! :smt005

there was a place in the bay area right down town somewhere where the girl i described...we did the boulder thing...in a park...city scape????
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:59:39 AM by Sledge »

SteveS doesn't kayak anymore

• grumpy ex-kayaker
  • Sea Lion
  • winter sturgeon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jan 2005
I'd probably drag my shoes out of mothballs for a trip to turtle rock...haven't been there in years (or on rock for that matter). Wonder if i can still do the traverse?

Sounds like you were hitting yosemite after i was. I was in Tucson 94-2000, so cochise is familiar, as is Datil (enchanted tower), hueco, the Lemmon, The Dry (i found that place), Jack's, queen creek...i could go on and on...

all those areas are like old friends-- still the funnest month i've had was at squamish-- love the little smoke bluffs.

You set up the date for a turtle rock assault and i'll try to swing it (i'm off all next week so end of week might work)

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
man i'd be down in a minute...but $$$ got's me tied... :smt009  but BigJ has grasicously offered to put me up for Pay It Forward!!!  Guy Rocks!!! and 16th of july...I will become the Ninja Turtle Baby!!!  Might be cramped up for the meet but some serious Marin Brewing Co...suds will fix me up in a hurry.... :smt044 :smt044 :smt044

MontanaN8V

• I swear it was this big!
  • Sea Lion
  • It's BANG TIME!!
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I don't climb rock, I blast it! :cowboy_smoke:  :blob8:

Easier to walk on.
Live your life, the way you want to be remembered. Don't have any regrets, we only get this one dance to make it count. Start at your eulogy, and work backwards.

exhibita

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
I draw stuff.

Director of Design for a Design+Build Company.  We specialize in residential construction, mostly remodels.  I'm a Certified Green Building Professional.

Workaholic, single dad, with a long term, long distance relationship. Fishing is a jealous and neglected mistress.  Owned my kayak for exactly 4 weeks and suddenly have a feeling my kid and girlfriend are about to be jealous and neglected.

Sledge

• GetSome!!!
  • Sea Lion
  • View Profile
I draw stuff.

Director of Design for a Design+Build Company.  We specialize in residential construction, mostly remodels.  I'm a Certified Green Building Professional.

Workaholic, single dad, with a long term, long distance relationship. Fishing is a jealous and neglected mistress.  Owned my kayak for exactly 4 weeks and suddenly have a feeling my kid and girlfriend are about to be jealous and neglected.

Ya Buddy...or u can do like do like Elongatus...sp? Chris and bring um all out on one... :smt044 :smt044 :smt044  blurry pic but ya get the meaning...

thread jack... :smt001 can't wait to taste some of those dish's... :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 09:41:25 AM by Sledge »

anything