Kayak Fishing Zone > Kayak Fly Fishing

Guys, Do You Surmise It's Wise To Put Eyes On Flies?

(1/3) > >>

Gary:
Eyes on flies - do they matter in terms of actual hook-ups?

Opinions? Stories? Drunken rants? Let me hear 'em.

My sense it that it's 99% about the movement through the water, not the detailed appearance that matters. Case in point - Scott's jetty fly:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=67273.0

That thing is ugly, but it must have all kinds of motion in the water. That said, I still add eyes to most flies I tie.

Tote:
I only use eyes if I want more weight to the fly.

Gary:
The stick-on eyes aren't cheap; at least dumbbell eyes serve a useful purpose. Now I need to tie some flies...

Tinker:
I've never seen a fly Scott has tied without eyes - the dumbbell on the jetty fly looks like eyes, and when he ties a fly without a dumbbell he glues eyes onto it.  I rarely glue eyes on unweighted flies because I lack the finesse it takes to get them on symmetrically and I'm convinced, even without facts, that goobered-up eyes affect how the fly moves and reduces the strikes I get, however, I try to one-up Scott and use a magic marker to put "pupils" on the dumbbells.

But in the final analysis, I think that movement from how one strips the fly is more important than whether the fly has eyes or no eyes, and more important than the jiggly stuff we use to tie the fly.  Just my opinion, but I outfished Scott using this simple Clouser...

Gary:
Uh-oh, shots fired! I love your sharpie hack.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version