Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:51:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:07:22 AM]

[March 27, 2024, 10:53:01 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 08:00:55 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:25:42 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:05:39 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 04:18:57 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 12:35:34 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 11:18:23 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 07:45:07 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 06:19:03 PM]

[March 26, 2024, 05:47:06 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 07:10:08 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Trailers & Campers for kayaks (with pics)  (Read 132577 times)

G-Force

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
My standard set up for a camping trip. And the newest addition. Still thinking about the best way to rack on top of the Trailblazer. I am not too sure about the strength of the factory rack.  Suggestions?

Those factory load bars should support 150 lbs + without too much trouble. If they are like most, they will be curved so you might look into finding some load stops to go on either side of the kayak to help prevent it from sliding left or right. Then use front and rear lines to keep it safely secured.
Greg
2015 Hobie Revolution

benuntu

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2017
Figured I'd post in here with my Harbor Freight trailer build.  Lots of room inside for gear, and enough room on top for 4 kayaks with J-hooks. 

Build Album:  http://imgur.com/a/0E3Al
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:54:51 AM by benuntu »
Vibe Sea Ghost 130
F&S Eagle Talon 120
Old Town Saranac 146 (aka the Tank)

Scurvy

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015

Rotorhead

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Nov 2018
This is my trailer, which has a 14' box and is about 5' wide.  I can put a kayak or raft on top, and gear inside, or even put the kayak inside.  The 2 top door and tail gate lock together.  It' also a good trailer for building supplies and dump runs...no need for tie downs or tarps.
Markus
2020 Hobie Outback

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Do you guys store your kayaks on your trailers at home or do you have a separate system for home storage?

Curious what the people who transport their yaks upright are doing - I'm about finished building a trailer and my thought is to store a kayak or two upright with seats and equipment installed while it's sitting in the garage so I can easily hook up and head out.  Would this damage/dent the bottom over time? Specifically for a 2019 outback, and maybe a Malibu 2xl

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Do you guys store your kayaks on your trailers at home or do you have a separate system for home storage?

Curious what the people who transport their yaks upright are doing - I'm about finished building a trailer and my thought is to store a kayak or two upright with seats and equipment installed while it's sitting in the garage so I can easily hook up and head out.  Would this damage/dent the bottom over time? Specifically for a 2019 outback, and maybe a Malibu 2xl
I keep mine on the trailer, but there upside down on the gunwales. This is off season covered when there not in my storage unit. On my original quick built rack.

2013 Jackson Big Tuna.........Ours
2011 Native Mariner Propel 12.5...His
2015 Native Slayer Propel 13.......Hers
20?? Emotion ,Sparky.....7 yr old grandson's
Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water
North Oregon Coast Chapter
Team C.O.D. FISHING (Crazy Old Dudes)just for forum fun challenges

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
My current rack I custom built for both Native Propels. Still stay on the rack 100% of the time when there not floating, rack can be slid out with the boats on.

Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
My current rack I custom built for both Native Propels. Still stay on the rack 100% of the time when there not floating, rack can be slid out with the boats on.

Thanks for the reply.  I've heard that storing upside down is the best way to go, but I'm really trying to find a proper way to store right-side up.  People talk about 3" pvc or custom cradles, not sure how well those options work for a 2019 outback.

I've built one of those Harbor Freight trailers and I want to customize it this week with the holiday vacation - I'd like to build something like Benunto's and keep it like that in my garage when not in use.  Just don't want to ruin a new $3k yak.

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

Thanks for the reply.  I've heard that storing upside down is the best way to go, but I'm really trying to find a proper way to store right-side up.  People talk about 3" pvc or custom cradles, not sure how well those options work for a 2019 outback.

I've built one of those Harbor Freight trailers and I want to customize it this week with the holiday vacation - I'd like to build something like Benunto's and keep it like that in my garage when not in use.  Just don't want to ruin a new $3k yak.
When I ran my Big Tuna on the Subaru I used Malone seawings and found huge dents in my hull, especially in the summer when it’s hot out. To combat that I used two cedar 1X6 planks that I routered out for carriage bolts recessed in and rounded the edges, I put as much weight as I was comfortable with to prebend them before I tightened them. Just another  option. Do you know any metal workers that could custom bend tubes to match the hull?

Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile

When I ran my Big Tuna on the Subaru I used Malone seawings and found huge dents in my hull, especially in the summer when it’s hot out. To combat that I used two cedar 1X6 planks that I routered out for carriage bolts recessed in and rounded the edges, I put as much weight as I was comfortable with to prebend them before I tightened them. Just another  option. Do you know any metal workers that could custom bend tubes to match the hull?

I see the planks being used by people but those just seem better suited for angled sides, not so much something with a flatter bottom like I have.  I actually might have a metal worker I can contact about it, but not sure it would be worth it for the price and quality when I should maybe just call up hobie about potential 2019 cradles...I just don't know if those have connections for racks

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile

I see the planks being used by people but those just seem better suited for angled sides, not so much something with a flatter bottom like I have.  I actually might have a metal worker I can contact about it, but not sure it would be worth it for the price and quality when I should maybe just call up hobie about potential 2019 cradles...I just don't know if those have connections for racks
I doubt your OB Hull is flatter then my Big Tuna hull... the planks distribute the weight over a larger area and in the Tuna it was close to a few scupper holes.

Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Here's a picture of it currently sitting in my garage until I build up the trailer and paint; the sides seem fairly flat compared to my Malibu, and the guys who sold it to me at Kayak City loaded it on my racks right side up next to my Malibu in j-hooks because it's flat.  I live in Novato and was going to Lake Tahoe for the weekend, stopped off in Sacramento and then drove up to Tahoe and back down to Novato with the two kayaks.  I'll take a better picture of the bottom this weekend, hoping I figure out my storage plan by then

Edit: This picture is upside down and not sure why when it's normal on my computer; flipped it around as well and still upside down...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 08:02:59 PM by RDods »

Mojo Jojo

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
Better?

Event Coordinator
Heroes On the Water

RDods

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
Better?

Lol thanks.  Have no clue why that was happening, even worse I'm good with computers and am on one most of the day.

I'll document my trailer this weekend hopefully

Rk2fish

• Sand Dab
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2018
Hi RDods, I'm in the same dilemma as you. When we bought our 2019 outback three wks ago, I just put them on our modified jet ski trailer set up for the Perception Pescudors Pilots we had. Three weeks later, still sitting on the trailer, my wife couldn't get the middle hatch to close  with the tray. After 20 mins trying to figure out why,  we finally figured it was because the v bunks  weren't sitting correctly on the bottom, causing the bottom to deform enough to cause the tray to not sit correctly on the lower lip. I was currently making a truck rack to hold the two kayaks with pvc on the bottom.
I was currently going to store the yaks upright on the pvc, but now am thinking on storing them upside down on trailer on two  2x4's. I too, would love to just store them upright, but don't want to permanently deform them by this.

anything