Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:59:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:32:15 PM]

[Today at 04:51:41 PM]

[Today at 04:43:49 PM]

[Today at 03:38:04 PM]

[Today at 02:40:25 PM]

[Today at 12:23:11 PM]

[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

[Today at 08:08:50 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:26:01 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:53:15 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 02:15:59 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 01:10:11 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 11:10:06 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:46:32 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:43:09 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 09:32:03 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: California "Real ID" Act 2018  (Read 1163 times)

solsrf1

• Industry Affiliate
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Hey everyone, not sure how many of you are aware of this, but if you do not take the proper steps to renew your license in our glorious state or renew by mail, you will be slapped with a "non compliant" with a "Federal Limits Apply" stamp in the upper right corner of your license. If you have this designation, you will not be permitted to purchase ammo, a firearm, or be allowed to board a plane. I know someone that recently experienced this, and they were completely unaware until it was pointed out that they had a non-compliant license. Spread the word!! It will take $30.00 and a visit in person with all the required documentation to get the "real ID. Thanks Jerry Brown....
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/newsrel/2018/2018_01
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 10:15:22 AM by solsrf1 »

Big Hammer Pro Staff
Kayak Connection Fishing Team

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I went to DMV a few weeks ago and got the new "Real ID" driver's license.  It's not required until 2020 but I thought I would beat the crowds and get mine early.  I cost me $27 and about an hour of my time, even though I had an appointment.  The interesting thing is; my license was due to expire in 2020 and the new license I was issued also expires in 2020, so I got nothing for my time and $27.  While there, I saw several people turned away because their supporting identification documents did not meet the new requirements.  If you decide to get the new license, make sure your documents, such as birth certificate or in my case naturalization certificate are originals.  Copies will be refused.  I'm pretty sure my new license in 2020 will be available by mail since I have met the requirements and currently possess a "Real ID".  The new license looks pretty much the same as the old one.  I'm guessing the difference is in the data encoded on the mag strip and bar code on the back of the license. I have flown once and used the new license as ID but nothing was different about the experience at the security area of the airport.  When 2020 arrives, there's no way the DMV is going to be able to handle issuing all of these new licenses.  The process is just too slow and the number of DMV offices has not grown to keep up with the population increases over the years.   

yatzmail@yahoo.com

Thanks for the information. I better start readying my docs!

sonoramike

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
My son recently moved to Reno and had finally gotten around to getting his Nevada license. Since his California one didn't have the star on it he had to go through all of this crap with having proper documentation. Absolutely  ridiculous and a pain in the ass!!

Tui Chub

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I got the Real ID License in Reno, NV a few years ago. Hoping that renewals will be easier.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
I'm still using the same fake ID I've had since 1988.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I will check with AAA to see if they handle this :Real ID" issue to save me a trip to DMV.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Fish 'n Brew

• Sea Lion
  • Martin
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: May 2008
AAA does  not handle it.  Must be in person at DMV.

Sailfish

• Manatee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
AAA does  not handle it.  Must be in person at DMV.

Guess I am going to make an appointment with DMV and get this over with!
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Fisherman X

• Sea Lion
  • Going to the ocean is going home
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Sep 2007
Mike wrote:
Thanks Jerry Brown....

I don't think we get to thank Moonbeam for this, it's to be federally compliant. Homeland Security is where it appears to have come from.
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

Hammerhead avatar in memory of CdM

solsrf1

• Industry Affiliate
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Mike wrote:
Thanks Jerry Brown....

I don't think we get to thank Moonbeam for this, it's to be federally compliant. Homeland Security is where it appears to have come from.
Ok, so I don't want to make this a political thing, my intent was to bring this to everyone's attention so that they don't get screwed over when they go to get a new license. So perhaps it's not entirely Jerry's doing, but he does oversee the state of California and the DMV, and they have decided to jump on board with this prior to the 2020 federal ID homeland security mandate. In my opinion, it's just more restrictions by the state on gun ownership, purchasing ammo, and additional fees being pushed onto the people. It depends on how you read it, but when it says this is "being offered as an option", well not really. If a person unknowingly is going in person without the proper documentation or just mailing in to have their license renewed, then is being automatically issued the "Federal Limits Apply" ID, and then has to jump through all the hoops and pay extra fees on top of that to get the "Real ID", well that's bs.
I guess I got a little fired up, so here's the scoop!
https://www.dhs.gov/real-id
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 01:07:38 PM by solsrf1 »

Big Hammer Pro Staff
Kayak Connection Fishing Team