Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:51:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:04:01 AM]

[Today at 09:46:32 AM]

[Today at 09:43:54 AM]

[Today at 09:43:09 AM]

[Today at 09:35:34 AM]

[Today at 09:32:03 AM]

[Today at 09:03:55 AM]

[Today at 06:51:56 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:47:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 10:07:55 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:08:56 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 07:24:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:09:58 PM]

by Clb
[April 17, 2024, 05:19:05 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:41:56 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 05:41:52 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:34:12 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 04:12:33 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 03:10:47 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 02:05:51 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 01:19:27 PM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:43:54 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 09:22:18 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 12:32:58 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:38:53 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 10:28:01 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 04:54:29 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 01:54:14 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:53:02 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 11:47:27 AM]

Support NCKA

Support the site by making a donation.

Topic: Decisions, Decisions!  (Read 2357 times)

CaliFishing

Can't make up my mind in what kayak I want. :smt013 So many choices, so hard the choose one. This will be my first kayak and I want to make the right choice.

I have an idea in what I want.
- I want the ability to take it anywhere. Lakes, Waterways, Bays, and possibly the Ocean. A kayak that tons good features that will benefit me while fishing. I've own a boat in the pass, so adding any modifications to kayak will be somewhat easy task for me. Stability will be a plus for me. I'm 5'11" at 250lbs. I like have the option to be able to stand and fish. I will be transporting this kayak on my 2dr car, so weight is a big concern after a long day of fishing.

Choices:
- Feelfree Lure 11.5  :smt001
- Vibe Sea Ghost 130 :smt012
- Perception Pescador Pilot 12  :smt007

So my question is to everyone is out of these choices that I have up top, what is good fit for my needs and why?

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

A pedal kayak with Thule Hullavator.  I am obviously biased to the Santa Cruz Kayak Raptor G2 ....

2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

AlexB

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
You REALLY should try to get out and try out some different kayaks before you pull the trigger. Each kayak acts a little differently, and what works for me may not work for you.

I don't have any experience with those three kayaks, but based on the brands you picked it sounds like you're on a tight budget (aren't we all...).  This would be my recommendation:

Look around for a good used kayak made by Ocean Kayak, Hobie, Wilderness Systems, Malibu, Jackson, etc, any of the high end brands. Kayaks last a LONG time if they're treated right, and you should be able to score a killer deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
If you want to take it to bays and oceans, Id recommend something 13ft or longer.... so of the kayaks that you listed, I would say the vibe seaghost 130?

You might also consider looking in the classifieds section here. If you are content with purchasing a used kayak (I would be) you can probably get more value for your dollar by looking in the NCKA classifieds. There have been some great "all-arounder" kayaks sold at below the price point of your listed kayaks (new).
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

yakyakyak

• Sea Lion
  • Huh? What?
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Great advice from AlexB and Archie, demo as much as you can.  13ft+ pedal kayak with rudder is my recommendation for ocean. 
2019 Hobie Outback
2017 Hobie Adventure Island
2016 Santa Cruz Raptor G2 - Surf/stability champ!
2015 Hobie Revolution 16 - Speedster
2016 NuCanoe Frontier 12 - Extra stable with crazy load capability

-----------------
FOR SALE
-----------------

Rods and Reels: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=88549.0 (Shimanos, Casting/Spinning Rods + Reels

Archie Marx

• AOTY Committee
  • Hobie Revo 13 & 16
  • View Profile kayakcity.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2008
Another advantage of buying from the classifieds is that some of the guys selling stuff (not all) have a garage packed full of kayaking gear... and it's spring... and many of us are looking to make space in our garages.

If you get lucky you just might walk away with a few free bonuses. I have been on both sides of sales like this. To increase your odds it's always good to bring a gift of your favorite lure, or some lure/item that you yourself have made (if you make stuff). Beer works too.

:smt002
1st - 2013 Angler of the Year- All time high score
1st - 2016 Angler of the Year
1st - 2016 CCKF AOTY - All time high score

4est

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Can't make up my mind in what kayak I want. :smt013 So many choices, so hard the choose one. This will be my first kayak and I want to make the right choice.

I have an idea in what I want.
- I want the ability to take it anywhere. Lakes, Waterways, Bays, and possibly the Ocean. A kayak that tons good features that will benefit me while fishing. I've own a boat in the pass, so adding any modifications to kayak will be somewhat easy task for me. Stability will be a plus for me. I'm 5'11" at 250lbs. I like have the option to be able to stand and fish. I will be transporting this kayak on my 2dr car, so weight is a big concern after a long day of fishing.

Choices:
- Feelfree Lure 11.5  :smt001
- Vibe Sea Ghost 130 :smt012
- Perception Pescador Pilot 12  :smt007

So my question is to everyone is out of these choices that I have up top, what is good fit for my needs and why?

I wouldn't limit your self to these 3 kayaks.
I am 6' ar 235 lbs, find a boat that has a large weight capacity.
Some boats like the hobie  outback are 33" wide and 12' long good stability with a weight capacity of 400 lbs.
Dos not track well, and dos not have great access to your hull.
One of the premier guides on this site uses a Malibu x-factor, not only is it wide and stable but has a capacity of
650 lbs. with 3 very large hatches great acccess for stowing your catch and  other items.
I have a ocean kayak prowler big game. It is 34" wide by 12'-9" long. It has a capacity of 600 lbs. and has 2 very large hatches.
The hobie is harder to beach launch and land in comparison to any paddling kayak.
you could line up 12 different kayaks and not find the perfect boat, but likes and dislikes in all.
When I ware out my ok I'm thinking the Malibu,and I'm going to have a outback in the future also.
It really depends on what you want to do with it.
I like to hunt, fish, and dive, and last month stowed 10 crabs up front with pots secured on top of that hatch with 2 lings and other fish stowed in the center of the boat with all the other fishing gear behind me and still was very stable not exceeding 600 lbs.
I need a big boat, where you and others may not.
And yes big pluses to picking something up in the classifieds.

LoletaEric

• Gimme Shelter Annual Kayakfishing Tournament Director
  • Manatee
  • The focus is achieving a state of mind.
  • View Profile LoletaEric.com
  • Date Registered: Dec 2004
Definitely demo as many boats as you can.  If I were you I'd go straight to the most stable kayak if you're looking to stand and fish.  I'm 6' / 190#, and I love standing and casting on my Malibu X-Factors - can stand and drift down mild riffles on the rivers too.  I'm very accustomed to that boat though, and it did take a while to develop my balance and feel for standing up. 

The Hobie Pro Angler or one of the Predator line may be what you need.  Best of luck - you'll love this sport.
I am a licensed guide.  DFW Guide ID:  1000124.   Let's do a trip together.

Loleta Eric's Guide Service

loletaeric@yahoo.com - call me up at (707) 845-0400

http://www.loletaeric.com

Being an honorable sportsman is way more important than what you catch.

ljparton

• Salmon
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
I went from a large, slow boat (Malibu X-Caliber) to a Jackson Cuda 12 (Heavy, stability was lacking in my opinion), to a Trident 13, to a Trident Ultra 4.3, with a Moken 12.5 for the girlfriend.

Best part was, every boat was purchased used(except the Malibu, returned due to a defect). I sold each boat for at least what I paid for it, so I never lost any money and got to figure out what I really like in a kayak.

My advice is demo, demo, demo! Dan at Headwaters has the Vibe Seaghost 130 and the Lure. Give them a call to setup a demo at Lodi lake.

If you're going to be doing ocean fishing, I would get something 13+ feet, and that isn't a barge to paddle.

I am 6'1 and about 240 and I just picked up a Hobie Revolution 13. Just because a kayak isn't as wide doesn't mean it's not stable. It's kind of like riding a bike, you get the balance down and you're good to go.

crash

• Sea Lion
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
For what you are looking for in one kayak I'd look at the Santa cruz raptor G2.

I have settled on a 2 kayak solution with a G2 and a Revo 13. Can pedal or paddle either one, revo is fast and takes less effort to pedal. G2 can stand up and is a great river boat. It also has a good place to stack crab pots.
"SCIENCE SUCKS" - bmb

CaliFishing

Thanks that all great advice. I wasn't suspecting any replying to this topic. I've been on other forums and they just don't answer any of my questions. Thanks again.

I was supposed to go to Lodi today but unfortunately I had to install some component speakers on brother in law motorcycle. I wish headwaters was open on Sundays. Hopefully next Saturday I can head out there.

ThreemoneyJ

• Sea Lion
  • AOTY Committee
  • View Profile
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I'll just echo what has been said so far. Test as many kayakas as you can, and then look in the classifieds for a great deal.

As you get more comfortable with kayaking you may find your wants/needs evolving and find yourself selling your kayak for a different model.

My girlfriend just let a Jackson Cuda 14 go for a song because we needed the garage space for a new kayak she wanted. The guy was very friendly and asked a few questions about gear we had in the garage so we worked out a deal for the kayak, a fishfinder, and some other stuff.

I just looked in the classifieds here and there seemed to be a few good deals, including an unused predator (no idea who that person is, but seemed like it may be a good deal).
Good luck in finding the right kayak!
-John
Angler Of The Year is currently free!!
NCKA Angler of the year (AOTY)link http://aoty.norcalkayakanglers.com/
NCKA AOTY how to link https://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=62574.0
Send me a message if you want to be signed up for AOTY